Bullnose Forums

Nutmeg interior - upgrade

You might consider going with the later sun visors that have the inboard support. They are a really nice upgrade to our trucks.

I thought about doing the sun visor upgrade but after looking at the junk yards I noticed the later trucks have an impression that the earlier trucks do not have for mounting the inner retaining bracket. When you do this on the earlier trucks are you just mounting it to the curve of the roof I take?

20200725_133346.jpg.fee8975fa2af783afb8840684924fee7.jpg

20200725_133409.jpg.188ec74d383208d5c95eec1dedd5dc11.jpg

I thought about doing the sun visor upgrade but after looking at the junk yards I noticed the later trucks have an impression that the earlier trucks do not have for mounting the inner retaining bracket. When you do this on the earlier trucks are you just mounting it to the curve of the roof I take?

I installed the visor, clipped the inboard bracket to the visor, marked and drilled the holes, and installed the bracket. No problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Must be more right sides out there then left sides. Still looking for left side but have found more than several right sides.

Well I think I may have literally got the last two nutmeg panels as new old stock from a warehouse, but I wanted to share in case others might be looking. The dates your nos was made matters I guess, and I have never thought about it before. Both my door panels came in their original boxes and with the correct part numbers. One is dated 1982 and is solid nutmeg colored plastic. It is beeutifuullllll!

The other is from a box dated 1990 aka 8 years after this 2 year color was discontinued. One must assume Ford continued to manufacture parts for ongoing support, of course. This panel is not solid nutmeg, however. It was very clearly spay painted over black. I guess this makes sense for uncommon colors as that is certainly cheaper than retaining the ability to manufacture old parts using solid color plastics.

Anyway, I was disappointed but it still looks decent until I scuff it too hard or the paint chips more. I’m willing to bet this is the case for any similar parts produced after their original run, especially in uncommon colors, so if you’re in the market, just be aware.

Well I think I may have literally got the last two nutmeg panels as new old stock from a warehouse, but I wanted to share in case others might be looking. The dates your nos was made matters I guess, and I have never thought about it before. Both my door panels came in their original boxes and with the correct part numbers. One is dated 1982 and is solid nutmeg colored plastic. It is beeutifuullllll!

The other is from a box dated 1990 aka 8 years after this 2 year color was discontinued. One must assume Ford continued to manufacture parts for ongoing support, of course. This panel is not solid nutmeg, however. It was very clearly spay painted over black. I guess this makes sense for uncommon colors as that is certainly cheaper than retaining the ability to manufacture old parts using solid color plastics.

Anyway, I was disappointed but it still looks decent until I scuff it too hard or the paint chips more. I’m willing to bet this is the case for any similar parts produced after their original run, especially in uncommon colors, so if you’re in the market, just be aware.

That's good to know. Are the two colors pretty close to each other?

I sprayed SEM's blue over my black panels and they came out great. So if at some point you have to repaint that's what I'd recommend.

That's good to know. Are the two colors pretty close to each other?

I sprayed SEM's blue over my black panels and they came out great. So if at some point you have to repaint that's what I'd recommend.

It’s a pretty close match yup! If they’re side by side you can tell the painted one looks a bit less “brilliant” or duller if that makes sense.

But considering the rest of the interior is different shades depending on sun exposure it’s all good.

It’s a pretty close match yup! If they’re side by side you can tell the painted one looks a bit less “brilliant” or duller if that makes sense.

But considering the rest of the interior is different shades depending on sun exposure it’s all good.

From the factory each panel was a different shade. Someone recently asked if that Bullnose that went for $97K had been restored, and I looked at the interior and said NO! If it had been restored someone would have painted all the panels and they would have matched. But, they didn't, and that is the way they came from the factory.

• 3 weeks later...

From the factory each panel was a different shade. Someone recently asked if that Bullnose that went for $97K had been restored, and I looked at the interior and said NO! If it had been restored someone would have painted all the panels and they would have matched. But, they didn't, and that is the way they came from the factory.

My plan is to go to the junkyard this weekend - a new truck is there with nutmeg interior. I’m will to pull any remaining items it folks pay for the item and shipping.

I’m looking at you 81f100custom :nabble_smiley_wink: