Bullnose Forums

Nutmeg interior - upgrade

I'm having a hard time find nutmeg anything for my interior. I've been checking junkyards, too. My doors are very faded and dry rotted at the top (they scratch super easy from 30 years of sun damage). I'd rather find new panels or at least better-condition panels as i doubt painting such damaged panels will really be a long term solution.

Also, I was curious has anyone added rosewood trim to their panels to match the dash? Does this require a certain panel type - perhaps with a recessed area vs raised? Also, of all the new panels i can find online, in addition to not being nutmeg, don't have the chrome strip and some brands specify it cant be added (say from my old panel). Do i have any options to get a what i want that i might mot be aware of? :nabble_anim_working: A nice condition nutmeg panel, with chrome insert for power windows and doors, with rosewood trim??

I'd also like a new dash pad at some point as my speaker grill is damaged, and is getting some cracks. Perhaps that's being too optimistic.

Might have to find a decent panel and paint it. I don't have any experience adding the wood trim.

I may try painting, as i suppose i have nothing to loose. I have yet to see the rose wood inserts up close, but I'm going to portlands car parts expo this weekend so hopefully i find some goodies!!

I may try painting, as i suppose i have nothing to loose. I have yet to see the rose wood inserts up close, but I'm going to portlands car parts expo this weekend so hopefully i find some goodies!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-1980-1986-Ford-Truck-or-Bronco-door-Woodgrain-Panels-Inserts-Power-Windows/173822083222?hash=item28789a8096:g:deMAAOSwo61cfZhq&frcectupt=true

Even some of the replacement parts in the MPC were “paint to match”... if you use the proper products and techniques the paint will work. The crumbly parts issue is something you will have to decide if you can live with or find replacements (either reproductions or better condition used parts). Either way don’t be limited by the color.

The rosewood door panels were originally attached with tiny plastic tabs (82-84) or metal tabs (80/81). These do not survive removal in most cases, and if you are adding rosewood you will have to use adhesive. I have contemplated gluing elevator bolts to the corners of the panels, and nuts on the back side, but there is limited space for bolts to stick through and it looks like they will probably rattle and rub. Some people screw through the panel with sheet metal screws but I think it looks horrid. Note that the 80/81 rosewood panels are aluminum over press board, and 82-84 are hard plastic. They are easier to re-mount and don’t get the big silver circle scratch on crank window trucks. Both warp equally bad, and the plastic ones have the pin stripe painted on (instead of aluminum showing through) and it is often rubbing off. Nice panels are hard to find, but they sure are attractive.

The original panels also had a large cut-out square behind the window crank area. This may be necessary for power window wiring and switches, but if you have crank windows you do not need to hack out this hole. It just went hand in hand with tooling for the plastic tab slots.

DB96EBD0-2FB1-413D-B923-89B7CD929890.jpeg.03114a7f95b6da2afc66268427d80e5d.jpeg

Even some of the replacement parts in the MPC were “paint to match”... if you use the proper products and techniques the paint will work. The crumbly parts issue is something you will have to decide if you can live with or find replacements (either reproductions or better condition used parts). Either way don’t be limited by the color.

The rosewood door panels were originally attached with tiny plastic tabs (82-84) or metal tabs (80/81). These do not survive removal in most cases, and if you are adding rosewood you will have to use adhesive. I have contemplated gluing elevator bolts to the corners of the panels, and nuts on the back side, but there is limited space for bolts to stick through and it looks like they will probably rattle and rub. Some people screw through the panel with sheet metal screws but I think it looks horrid. Note that the 80/81 rosewood panels are aluminum over press board, and 82-84 are hard plastic. They are easier to re-mount and don’t get the big silver circle scratch on crank window trucks. Both warp equally bad, and the plastic ones have the pin stripe painted on (instead of aluminum showing through) and it is often rubbing off. Nice panels are hard to find, but they sure are attractive.

The original panels also had a large cut-out square behind the window crank area. This may be necessary for power window wiring and switches, but if you have crank windows you do not need to hack out this hole. It just went hand in hand with tooling for the plastic tab slots.

Thank you for the picture, that's perfect - helps me understand what/how i need to engineer panels to make this project happen! And hadn't really thought of just buying OEM/NOS panels in a different color and then painting it to match. I'd feel a lil bad but i guess i could use a common panel color....plus it would look fantastic afterward :nabble_anim_claps:

Thank you for the picture, that's perfect - helps me understand what/how i need to engineer panels to make this project happen! And hadn't really thought of just buying OEM/NOS panels in a different color and then painting it to match. I'd feel a lil bad but i guess i could use a common panel color....plus it would look fantastic afterward :nabble_anim_claps:

You might also look for used panels on eBay that already have the rosewood. It may be cheaper than buying them separately and you wouldn’t have to worry about mounting them. I don’t happen to see any right now but they do turn up from time to time and can be reasonable.

You might also look for used panels on eBay that already have the rosewood. It may be cheaper than buying them separately and you wouldn’t have to worry about mounting them. I don’t happen to see any right now but they do turn up from time to time and can be reasonable.

Thanks for the offer Paul! My armrest pads are actually in pretty good shape, its actually been strange how some parts have faded a lot and others look much better. My door panels are bad, one of my quarter panels is awful, and at the very least id like to get a dash cover - although once again i can't find one in nutmeg lol.