Bullnose Forums

Spongy brake pedal after winter storage

mp470

Hi all,

Big red is coming out for the spring and i have no brakes. The larger part of the reservoir was empty for some reason and I have replenished it. Did not see any leaks at the master cylinder though. The pedal goes to the floor only when the vehicle is running but pumps up fine when off. I did a stupid thing and left the e-brake on all winter so the light is on but I don't think it's related. Please and thanks for any suggestions.

You might want to read this post, or the whole thread for that matter.

As for the e-brake, sometimes that moves the shoes out so far it lets the pistons get into a rusted area of the brake cylinder, and causes leaks to start.

Thanks. I suspect the master cylinder seals went from the extreme cold of our winters (-40C at times) and it's leaking internally as I didn't see any leaks at the wheels either.

• 3 weeks later...

That might do it. I think I'd lose my seals at that temp. :nabble_smiley_argh:

New cylinder did it, leaked out internally and through the rear. When bleeding the two rear brakes, couldn't get much to come out though. It wasn't a dribble but not the powerful flow I'd expect with as much vacuum as was applied. Tried with a vacuum pump to 20-25 psi and the manual method. Couldn't do the fronts as they face forward for some reason and had no way to get wheels off out there. Nonetheless, the pedal is good enough for the road now.

New cylinder did it, leaked out internally and through the rear. When bleeding the two rear brakes, couldn't get much to come out though. It wasn't a dribble but not the powerful flow I'd expect with as much vacuum as was applied. Tried with a vacuum pump to 20-25 psi and the manual method. Couldn't do the fronts as they face forward for some reason and had no way to get wheels off out there. Nonetheless, the pedal is good enough for the road now.

Did you bleed the master itself? See Page 12 here: Driveline/Brakes and on the Factory Shop Manual tab and then the General Brake Service tab. (That's a new section, so you didn't miss it.)

Did you bleed the master itself? See Page 12 here: Driveline/Brakes and on the Factory Shop Manual tab and then the General Brake Service tab. (That's a new section, so you didn't miss it.)

I sure did, on the bench before installing. Wish I could've tried the fronts to compare.