Bullnose Forums

Chilton vs Haynes? Seeking engine/EGR diagrams for '84 302

How can I get my EGR valve to operate off of an engine vacuum source?
Ford had about 86,000 ways of managing EGR via vacuum. Browse the vacuum diagrams that Gary has to find some that look like they could have been how your truck was built, and start there. But generally: once the factory vacuum lines are ripped out, there's no going back. If you want it to run better, go FORWARD, to a newer engine with better controls & more-efficient emissions management.

Steve83, question. On my truck, 1986 F250 HD, 460, C6. No PCM, no catalytic converter.

Most of the emission equipment missing. How can I get my EGR valve to operate off of an engine vacuum source?

I have the VDV vacuum delay valve.

Can I use a vacuum source through the VCV, through the VDV and to the EGR?

I tried several things before winter, and don't remember exactly, and I thought when I tried the above setup, the EGR stayed on.

Please excuse the thread hijack! :nabble_smiley_ninja:

Edit: Sorry, like Steve83 said, I would probably have both Haynes and Chilton's. But I prefer a factory service manual if possible.

Like this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7165236&cc=1121443&jsn=461

I have the EGR on my 300 i inline hooked up through ported vacuum. Like that the EGR valve only operates when I am going down the road and the engine is not under load and is at high vacuum. When the engine gets under a load and the vacuum drops, the EGR valve closes. That is how it was originally routed except I do not have the the temp controlled vacuum valve plumbed in at this time and probably will leave it like that as it is working just fine and my engine is happy.

I have the EGR on my 300 i inline hooked up through ported vacuum. Like that the EGR valve only operates when I am going down the road and the engine is not under load and is at high vacuum. When the engine gets under a load and the vacuum drops, the EGR valve closes. That is how it was originally routed except I do not have the the temp controlled vacuum valve plumbed in at this time and probably will leave it like that as it is working just fine and my engine is happy.

"Ford had about 86,000 ways of managing EGR via vacuum. Browse the vacuum diagrams that Gary has to find some that look like they could have been how your truck was built, and start there. But generally: once the factory vacuum lines are ripped out, there's no going back. If you want it to run better, go FORWARD, to a newer engine with better controls & more-efficient emissions management."

Yes, kind of where I'm at, leaving it as is, that is! I do have my vacuum diagrams to go off of. Thanks.

"I have the EGR on my 300 i inline hooked up through ported vacuum. Like that the EGR valve only operates when I am going down the road and the engine is not under load and is at high vacuum. When the engine gets under a load and the vacuum drops, the EGR valve closes. That is how it was originally routed except I do not have the the temp controlled vacuum valve plumbed in at this time and probably will leave it like that as it is working just fine and my engine is happy."

I do have a note to try the ported vacuum when the weather is better and I have time. Good to hear yours is working. Thanks.

I have a 1yr old running around by my feet, so I'll have to mass-respond here:

But thank you all for the time and insight!

Definitely would love to update the entire motor to a new item, but for now time & budget will likely restrict me to looking at exhaust & some combination of cam before moving down the upgrade list.

I do have a nice 60k mi 4.6L Grand Marquis that could someday make a nice donor, but for now it's reliably moving my wife and baby around:)

Thanks for the heads up on the cam and head ideas! I'll check these out and compare with CompCam's recommendations for best choices for RPM range and retaining stock intake & valve springs.

I will keep an eye out for some E7TE heads for when the time comes for the next step in motor work.

I'll investigate the Ford pdf's to get a better idea of diagrams.

Enjoy this awesome spring weekend!

I have a 1yr old running around by my feet, so I'll have to mass-respond here:

But thank you all for the time and insight!

Definitely would love to update the entire motor to a new item, but for now time & budget will likely restrict me to looking at exhaust & some combination of cam before moving down the upgrade list.

I do have a nice 60k mi 4.6L Grand Marquis that could someday make a nice donor, but for now it's reliably moving my wife and baby around:)

Thanks for the heads up on the cam and head ideas! I'll check these out and compare with CompCam's recommendations for best choices for RPM range and retaining stock intake & valve springs.

I will keep an eye out for some E7TE heads for when the time comes for the next step in motor work.

I'll investigate the Ford pdf's to get a better idea of diagrams.

Enjoy this awesome spring weekend!

If you could find the calibration code (Specifications/Calibration Code) then I think I could find the exact vacuum routing diagram for you. If not we may be able to get it down to 3 or 4 calibration codes and then find the vacuum diagram for each and you can try to figure out which is the closest one to yours.

If you could find the calibration code (Specifications/Calibration Code) then I think I could find the exact vacuum routing diagram for you. If not we may be able to get it down to 3 or 4 calibration codes and then find the vacuum diagram for each and you can try to figure out which is the closest one to yours.

Thank you, Gary. I'm away from the truck until next week but will take a look to see what is noted

Mark

Thank you, Gary. I'm away from the truck until next week but will take a look to see what is noted

Mark

You will now begin to understand why a number of us have gone to later EFI systems, much simpler plumbing.

As for Chilton's vs Haynes, depends on whether you like glossy or plain toilet paper. I personally do not waste my money on either one.