Bullnose Forums

AOD removal/shift linkage

I cant get shift linkage off the trans. Last step before I can remove the darn thing. On drivers side of trans, the bracket that hangs on bolt, wont budge at my attempts to pry it off, maybe I'm being a bit too ginger with it, but I also tried the next (nearest from transmission) bracket that is connected by rubber connector, and cant seem to pry that arm off, either. Any ideas would be much appreciated

If it's the rubber gromments you're talking about, they can sometimes be a pain. I pop them apart using Channellocks if that is any help. The problem with those buggers as that after 30+ years they turn hard as steel and have very little give to them. Put some grease on it, and then press it apart with Channellocks....if you're talking about the joints I'm thinking of...otherwise I'm way off base...

If it's the rubber gromments you're talking about, they can sometimes be a pain. I pop them apart using Channellocks if that is any help. The problem with those buggers as that after 30+ years they turn hard as steel and have very little give to them. Put some grease on it, and then press it apart with Channellocks....if you're talking about the joints I'm thinking of...otherwise I'm way off base...

I use a heat gun to soften them and then with Channellocks they come right off.

I use a heat gun to soften them and then with Channellocks they come right off.

I used heat gun and a screwdriver to pry the arm from the bracket, but chewed up that grommet pretty good beforehand. Got it out though! I cannot thank you guys enough. Today was day three of driving myself crazy with it. Are those grommets readily available? I shouldnt be using the AOD again but might have to if donor trans gears are shot (haven't cracked that open yet). Thanks again, fellers

Are those grommets readily available?

I can't say for 100% certain, but if they are the same as the grommets that are in the shift lever attached to the end of the steering column, then yes they are still available. I bought some at the local Ford dealer last year...oddly, they come in packs of 3. I think they were used in ALL of the Fords with the same style linkage, not just the trucks.

Are those grommets readily available?

I can't say for 100% certain, but if they are the same as the grommets that are in the shift lever attached to the end of the steering column, then yes they are still available. I bought some at the local Ford dealer last year...oddly, they come in packs of 3. I think they were used in ALL of the Fords with the same style linkage, not just the trucks.

my man