Bullnose Forums

1985 4x4 Oregon

Looks like a nice straight truck but I hate ad’s that are that vague and lacking in photos. I realize many people don’t necessarily know a lot about what they are selling, but it’s pretty lazy to not at least try to find out the basics. The “as-is” phrase is common legal advice for selling used vehicles, but typing it in caps draws unnecessary attention to it and makes you wonder why the emphasis. Does anyone actually expect a warranty?

The “as-is” phrase is common legal advice for selling used vehicles, but typing it in caps draws unnecessary attention to it and makes you wonder why the emphasis. Does anyone actually expect a warranty?

Not sure how it works in the US, but apparently the "as is" bit doesn't stand up in court here. Some friends of ours sold a car quite a few years ago...nothing special, I think just a Mazda sedan, and the engine failed in the thing not long after. The buyer took the seller to court, and won. The seller (our friends) had to buy the car back. Apparently, we have to put "No hidden warranties" on the bill of sale, or "No warranty is given, intended, or implied". I personally have never had an issue, but ever since I was told this story 10 or 15 years ago, I always write this on the bill of sale, just in case.

The “as-is” phrase is common legal advice for selling used vehicles, but typing it in caps draws unnecessary attention to it and makes you wonder why the emphasis. Does anyone actually expect a warranty?

Not sure how it works in the US, but apparently the "as is" bit doesn't stand up in court here. Some friends of ours sold a car quite a few years ago...nothing special, I think just a Mazda sedan, and the engine failed in the thing not long after. The buyer took the seller to court, and won. The seller (our friends) had to buy the car back. Apparently, we have to put "No hidden warranties" on the bill of sale, or "No warranty is given, intended, or implied". I personally have never had an issue, but ever since I was told this story 10 or 15 years ago, I always write this on the bill of sale, just in case.

Interesting and disappointing event Cory. I’m sure here it would vary by state. I appreciate protection from unscrupulous used car dealers that hide and bandaid major known flaws, but what if the buyer put something horrible in the engine and made the seller take it back? I see lots of problems with this logic since it was a personal sale. Maybe I should be more careful if/when I sell any cars. Even worse would be being blamed for an injury if the buyer claimed you sold an unsafe car...

So what does everyone here do for a bill of sale? I never write one. I just exchange cash for a notarized title. Any reason to do it? I’ve been given bills of sale, and wondered what they were good for. They don’t give you legal ownership and you are not really agreeing to anything. Maybe the story you told is the reason...