Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

I have another EECV ECM that I tagged as 5.0 and 4R70W. Catch code is YAZ3, hardware is ML1-441

Just got another FB message or two from Allen at Core Tuning. Here’s the conversation. I’m confused and need to talk with them as I’m having a hard time understanding what an F250 PCM from the same year with the same engine and transmission is better. He hasn’t responded yet.

4681F69B-1169-4534-9423-8E27E35A268B.thumb.png.56a920b5502929e0598a7eda5f525d4c.png

Just got another FB message or two from Allen at Core Tuning. Here’s the conversation. I’m confused and need to talk with them as I’m having a hard time understanding what an F250 PCM from the same year with the same engine and transmission is better. He hasn’t responded yet.

Probably adding to the confusion but,

Here are a couple interesting links.

http://www.moates.net

https://eectuning.org/forums/

Probably adding to the confusion but,

Here are a couple interesting links.

http://www.moates.net

https://eectuning.org/forums/

I have been a member of EECtuning.org for quite a while, since I first started to plan the EFI conversion on Darth. Lots of good information there. Moates makes excellent hardware and supports it very well from what I have found. There is also a TwEECer group on Yahoo, for use and help with the TwEECer piggy back tuner for the EEC-IV (it is supposed to work on the EEC-V, but I never got mine to work and traded it to a gentleman on the West coast for a complete intake system for the MAF 460).

I have another EECV ECM that I tagged as 5.0 and 4R70W. Catch code is YAZ3, hardware is ML1-441

Ok, that checks with my list as being ML1-441 which should be E4OD. Simple comparison, I know which code is E4OD for the 460, it is ML1-441. I have several lists I have scrounged, if you like I can send them to you, they are in Excel format and several of them were provided by Adam Marrer to aid in locating compatible EEC-V boxes.

Ok, that checks with my list as being ML1-441 which should be E4OD. Simple comparison, I know which code is E4OD for the 460, it is ML1-441. I have several lists I have scrounged, if you like I can send them to you, they are in Excel format and several of them were provided by Adam Marrer to aid in locating compatible EEC-V boxes.

Ray - Thanks for the links. I’ll follow up.

Bill - If the offer to send the spreadsheets was to me, please do so.

But, guys, I don’t know that I have the time to delve too deeply into the EEC nether regions. Running this forum has taken more time than I expected. Fortunately the change we made on the joining process has apparently helped as the Nabble support forum is getting hit several times a day with spam - and we aren’t. And then there’s the whole of the website, with adding to it as time permits and the need arises.

On top of that, there’s Big Blue. I just walked down the driveway to the shop and I’m embarrassed by the oil drops he’s leaving. But, pulling that 460 to fix the leaks is a big job since so many jobs need to be done at the same time.

So, I’m looking for the EEC-V For Dummies book. :nabble_smiley_sad:

It's entirely possible that I got my wires crossed when I labelled the ECM's. I ran across that post in FSB too, probably the reason I labelled the TAD4 box as for E4OD, so both ECM's are going in the shipping box.

I was searching this out again last night and I found references to both hardware versions being able to flash to 7.5 specs. I also recall something about transmission strategies being selectable in software, but I have never had the chance to explore that. Modification in software is a steep learning curve.

Also looked at Core Tuning's website and Facebook page. Are they selling their own product or repackaging the Moates product with additional support? So hard to tell at a distance. Looks like they are out of Oklahoma, so right in Gary's territory. That is a plus.

I would like to have a copy of those lists too!

It's entirely possible that I got my wires crossed when I labelled the ECM's. I ran across that post in FSB too, probably the reason I labelled the TAD4 box as for E4OD, so both ECM's are going in the shipping box.

I was searching this out again last night and I found references to both hardware versions being able to flash to 7.5 specs. I also recall something about transmission strategies being selectable in software, but I have never had the chance to explore that. Modification in software is a steep learning curve.

Also looked at Core Tuning's website and Facebook page. Are they selling their own product or repackaging the Moates product with additional support? So hard to tell at a distance. Looks like they are out of Oklahoma, so right in Gary's territory. That is a plus.

I would like to have a copy of those lists too!

Ok, I will send them, I believe I can email you through here, if not I will let you know.

Ok, I will send them, I believe I can email you through here, if not I will let you know.

Just had an excellent 40 minute conversation with Adam of Core Tuning. The bottom line is that he agrees with the plan. In other words, the PCM we've been talking about will work fine. The only issue is that it needs to be E4OD compliant. We can change essentially anything else, but can't or shouldn't change that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Their package is $629 (+tax) and that gets their version of Binary Editor, which supports all strategies from '96 up. Plus, it includes their Direct Flash cable, which connects to the computer's USB port and the PCM via the OBD-II port instead of the J3 port like some do. Their cable allows reading the PCM's code, writing to the PCM, data logging, and troubleshooting. In addition, the package includes one USB dongle, which you have to have connected to the PC you are using in order to validate that PC.

Also I'll need their $80 A/D box that takes analog outputs, like from my AEM 30-4900 Wideband Failsafe Gauge and converts it to digital. The only downside is that this box is also USB, and with the Direct Flash cable and the dongle the PC needs to have three USB ports. Unfortunately this laptop only has two, but Adam told me about inexpensive laptops that have 3, so that should be simple.

Then we talked about the application - Dad's truck. I explained about the Tim Meyer-built 400 and Adam said that we can turn off the crank trigger in the PCM so I won't have to add a crank wheel and pickup, and the PCM will use the info from the distributor. Apparently the crank signal was for mis-fire diagnostics and they aren't needed.

Also, he volunteered that with this application he would use Trick Flow's R-Series intake. Bolts right onto the 400 using the Cleveland to M-block adaptors. Hmmmm, has he been listening to my call with Tim? Or reading this thread? :nabble_anim_confused: (He said he hasn't been reading this thread, but I invited him and he may.) And, he said "Do not use the Edelbrock intake!" Apparently it won't flow enough and someone he knows had the flow go flat way too early in the RPM range.

Last, we talked about the All-Ford Truck Show. He said he may come down for that next year. That would be great as I plan to have Dad's truck there with the engine and tranny in and the EFI system installed. So at least he could tell people about how it all works. :nabble_smiley_good:

Just had an excellent 40 minute conversation with Adam of Core Tuning. The bottom line is that he agrees with the plan. In other words, the PCM we've been talking about will work fine. The only issue is that it needs to be E4OD compliant. We can change essentially anything else, but can't or shouldn't change that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Their package is $629 (+tax) and that gets their version of Binary Editor, which supports all strategies from '96 up. Plus, it includes their Direct Flash cable, which connects to the computer's USB port and the PCM via the OBD-II port instead of the J3 port like some do. Their cable allows reading the PCM's code, writing to the PCM, data logging, and troubleshooting. In addition, the package includes one USB dongle, which you have to have connected to the PC you are using in order to validate that PC.

Also I'll need their $80 A/D box that takes analog outputs, like from my AEM 30-4900 Wideband Failsafe Gauge and converts it to digital. The only downside is that this box is also USB, and with the Direct Flash cable and the dongle the PC needs to have three USB ports. Unfortunately this laptop only has two, but Adam told me about inexpensive laptops that have 3, so that should be simple.

Then we talked about the application - Dad's truck. I explained about the Tim Meyer-built 400 and Adam said that we can turn off the crank trigger in the PCM so I won't have to add a crank wheel and pickup, and the PCM will use the info from the distributor. Apparently the crank signal was for mis-fire diagnostics and they aren't needed.

Also, he volunteered that with this application he would use Trick Flow's R-Series intake. Bolts right onto the 400 using the Cleveland to M-block adaptors. Hmmmm, has he been listening to my call with Tim? Or reading this thread? :nabble_anim_confused: (He said he hasn't been reading this thread, but I invited him and he may.) And, he said "Do not use the Edelbrock intake!" Apparently it won't flow enough and someone he knows had the flow go flat way too early in the RPM range.

Last, we talked about the All-Ford Truck Show. He said he may come down for that next year. That would be great as I plan to have Dad's truck there with the engine and tranny in and the EFI system installed. So at least he could tell people about how it all works. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, Adam is a great guy, he spent quite a bit of time with me teaching me how to use BE and flash the EEC after the tune has been written and saved. If you snag an extra 104 pin connector and OBD-II port (it can be off anything with an EEC-V system) I will send you the diagram for my bench flashing setup. Works great and allows me to pre-load a spare EEC box so if one fails on me all I have to do is swap it. Using the 1992-97 PDC, there is a maxi fuse that feeds the EEC keep alive memory circuit so it can be pulled in order to change an EEC without damaging it or erasing all the radio memory and having to reset the clock.