Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

The ZF is like driving a big rig. Unless you plan a lot of miles and it's an OD version , I'd rather have a Toploader 4 speed. Bulletproof and you can shifty like a race car.

I've driven Dad's truck with the ZF in it from OK to DE and back, visiting Bill's son in WV along the way, and had the bed so full of furniture you couldn't get sand in it. :nabble_smiley_wink: It performed quite well and once in OD there was rarely a need to shift. But, I do agree that it is like driving a "big rig", which is why it is going in Big Blue and the E4 in Dad's, making BB better on the highway due to the ZF5's OD, and Dad's more sporty.

7383007_orig.jpg.3eae136a53165edb49cc0f50539a4399.jpg

I've driven Dad's truck with the ZF in it from OK to DE and back, visiting Bill's son in WV along the way, and had the bed so full of furniture you couldn't get sand in it. :nabble_smiley_wink: It performed quite well and once in OD there was rarely a need to shift. But, I do agree that it is like driving a "big rig", which is why it is going in Big Blue and the E4 in Dad's, making BB better on the highway due to the ZF5's OD, and Dad's more sporty.

I have a toploader in my Hot Rod pickup. It's a '69 with a 428 and a 4 spd :)

That'll work, but my son can't drive a stick. Nor can he rebuild a carb. So, an E4OD and SEFI w/OBD-II seems a good approach. :nabble_smiley_what:

Bill - Can you provide some info about how all of this works and who Core Tuning is? By “how all of this works”, I mean what part does Core Tuning play? Once I find an ECM, what needs to happen in order for it to run my 400? And for the E4? What costs are there beyond the ECM, the EFI hardware, etc?

And once it is all working, how is it tuned?

Bill - Can you provide some info about how all of this works and who Core Tuning is? By “how all of this works”, I mean what part does Core Tuning play? Once I find an ECM, what needs to happen in order for it to run my 400? And for the E4? What costs are there beyond the ECM, the EFI hardware, etc?

And once it is all working, how is it tuned?

The OD button being on the dash (rather than on the end of the shift selector lever) might be a thing... You might have gone over this in other places, but; my '93 has the OD button on the end of the shifter.

Not only does the shifter light up when OD is off, but the computer also has the capacity to blink the "OD OFF" light on the end of that shifter to indicate if there is a problem detected with the E4OD. Does the dash apparatus that Bill mentioned allow for that function?

To make a '93 shift lever work, it would have to match the profile of the one that fits in your column, and you would need to run the wire from the computer harness through the column to make the connection.

Unless you are going with a floor shifter, in which case this is moot.

The OD button being on the dash (rather than on the end of the shift selector lever) might be a thing... You might have gone over this in other places, but; my '93 has the OD button on the end of the shifter.

Not only does the shifter light up when OD is off, but the computer also has the capacity to blink the "OD OFF" light on the end of that shifter to indicate if there is a problem detected with the E4OD. Does the dash apparatus that Bill mentioned allow for that function?

To make a '93 shift lever work, it would have to match the profile of the one that fits in your column, and you would need to run the wire from the computer harness through the column to make the connection.

Unless you are going with a floor shifter, in which case this is moot.

We could measure your lever and compare with one for a Bullnose and see if yours will fit. If not, we might be able to modify one to make it fit - if we had the right tools. 😎

That's the beauty of having a donor truck.

We could measure your lever and compare with one for a Bullnose and see if yours will fit. If not, we might be able to modify one to make it fit - if we had the right tools. 😎

That's the beauty of having a donor truck.

Gary, the first generation of the E4OD had the OD lockout switch on the dash, with a light that was on with the OD off and flashing for problems. If you get the 90 parts truck it will have that switch/light and a shift indicator on the column (which will fit in a Bullnose if you swap the mount plates) that reads P R N OD 2 1 the OD is an O surrounding a D and will also have the linkage rather than cable shifter system.

Core Tuning is the group I am working with for mine. The startup was $750 which included the software, hardware and a nice couple of hours with my bench flash setup and Adam walking me through the software. I checked the other day, I have 4 spare EEC-V boxes including and actual FEZ3 (CA 460, MAF/SEFI/E4OD).DSCN2434.jpg.40310efda82c4d1bd29fa5cb4aa37938.jpg

Gary, the first generation of the E4OD had the OD lockout switch on the dash, with a light that was on with the OD off and flashing for problems. If you get the 90 parts truck it will have that switch/light and a shift indicator on the column (which will fit in a Bullnose if you swap the mount plates) that reads P R N OD 2 1 the OD is an O surrounding a D and will also have the linkage rather than cable shifter system.

Core Tuning is the group I am working with for mine. The startup was $750 which included the software, hardware and a nice couple of hours with my bench flash setup and Adam walking me through the software. I checked the other day, I have 4 spare EEC-V boxes including and actual FEZ3 (CA 460, MAF/SEFI/E4OD).

Bill - Thanks for the explanation on the shifter, switch, etc. Sounds like the ‘90 would be a good fit.

As for Core Tuning, is that something I need to buy into? Or something you can do?

On the boxes, are you suggesting I need several spare? Or are you willing to sell one or more? Maybe with the proper code?

Bill - Thanks for the explanation on the shifter, switch, etc. Sounds like the ‘90 would be a good fit.

As for Core Tuning, is that something I need to buy into? Or something you can do?

On the boxes, are you suggesting I need several spare? Or are you willing to sell one or more? Maybe with the proper code?

I would sell one of the GIN3 or TIN3 boxes, they are 351 w/E4OD. One has already been reflashed, that one I want to keep as it is the spare. The one with the seal was purchased when Adam and I both thought there was something wrong with the one he sold me on the initial setup.

You can contact Core Tuning, in fact it would be a good idea so you can purchase the needed hardware and software to be able to tweak things yourself.