Bullnose Forums

Ducting and Switch/knob question

Just curious, my 84 project has all the necessary plastic ducting for under the dash but I am missing a few key components, such as the entire fan motor (squirrel cage as I call it), heater core, and even the A/C heat control/knob assembly so I have decided for now to just run her without any of it and am looking for an option to plug the large rectangular firewall hole where I assume the motor assembly/heater core would mount. What would be the best option to do this without just welding in a plate. I want to leave it relatively easy to convert back in case a future owner, or myself down the road decides to buy all the necessary components to re-route the inner dash ducting.

Next, I need a new set of switches (left side of the steering wheel, I assume dome lighting adjustment, and headlight controls). Where do you guys find these things other than a junkyard, as I am having a problem locating bullnose trucks in any local yards. I am sure Amazon is probably a good start for knock-offs but I was hoping to go with refurbs or used original parts.

I may get out to the shop tomorrow afternoon, and can look at the "squirrel cage" I have to see if it is flat. But, I'm thinking it is and you may be able to put a plate on it to seal it off.

Or, maybe we can collectively scrounge up the parts you need?

As for the switches, which are the headlight and wiper switches, we may be able to scrounge them as well. Would that be of interest or do you want new?

I may get out to the shop tomorrow afternoon, and can look at the "squirrel cage" I have to see if it is flat. But, I'm thinking it is and you may be able to put a plate on it to seal it off.

Or, maybe we can collectively scrounge up the parts you need?

As for the switches, which are the headlight and wiper switches, we may be able to scrounge them as well. Would that be of interest or do you want new?

I really just need the switches to be honest, the entire heating system was ripped out of this truck and shes not plumbed for a heater core, which I understand is fairly easy to do but just not much of a concern for me at the moment....I would be really interested in the light/wiper switches and the AC/Heat control unit so I can at least plug the hole. I can throw some money, trade/barter, etc. I am not sure what all I could barter with related to the truck because I need basically all of it, but I do have ties with several wholesale parts companies and could cut people some serious low prices for the assist. Skyjacker, bilstein, rancho, tires, pro comp, basically any after market things I can do. Not trying to make a sales pitch, just trying to figure out what I could offer in return...cash of course being an option :nabble_anim_handshake:

I really just need the switches to be honest, the entire heating system was ripped out of this truck and shes not plumbed for a heater core, which I understand is fairly easy to do but just not much of a concern for me at the moment....I would be really interested in the light/wiper switches and the AC/Heat control unit so I can at least plug the hole. I can throw some money, trade/barter, etc. I am not sure what all I could barter with related to the truck because I need basically all of it, but I do have ties with several wholesale parts companies and could cut people some serious low prices for the assist. Skyjacker, bilstein, rancho, tires, pro comp, basically any after market things I can do. Not trying to make a sales pitch, just trying to figure out what I could offer in return...cash of course being an option :nabble_anim_handshake:

To give you an idea, this is my current engine compartment....everything on the left side (passenger) is missing which I assume would be all the heater goodies such as the motor, plastic air box(es), heater core, etc. That hole you see on the left is what I am talking about.

54515312_2559502637397637_3486381479951335424_n.jpg.fa979b05df5aa7370a7f26008989d301.jpg

To give you an idea, this is my current engine compartment....everything on the left side (passenger) is missing which I assume would be all the heater goodies such as the motor, plastic air box(es), heater core, etc. That hole you see on the left is what I am talking about.

Let me see what I have. But, it won't happen immediately as my wife just had eye surgery this morning and we have check-up appointments tomorrow and later this week.

But, some of the others may have the parts and jump in, which is fine. We are a family.

As for blocking the holes off, it looks like I remembered it - flat. So a piece of aluminum bolted down should do it for the big holes, and hole plugs for the round ones. Or, maybe you'll get lucky and we may find all the parts collectively and you can just put it together the way it is supposed to go?

It would be easy enough to bolt a piece of metal there using the factory bolt holes... maybe seal it with some foam weatherstripping... but depending on how you use the truck you may really want to consider replacing that stuff so you have windshield defrost/de-fog capability 😬.

Let me see what I have. But, it won't happen immediately as my wife just had eye surgery this morning and we have check-up appointments tomorrow and later this week.

But, some of the others may have the parts and jump in, which is fine. We are a family.

As for blocking the holes off, it looks like I remembered it - flat. So a piece of aluminum bolted down should do it for the big holes, and hole plugs for the round ones. Or, maybe you'll get lucky and we may find all the parts collectively and you can just put it together the way it is supposed to go?

No hurry here sir, I greatly appreciate all the advice thus far as well. If we can collectively get things going and make some deals here and there that would be great. I would like to return her to the way she was meant to be, although I do enjoy the "hot rod" style nature of what she is right now....if that is the right way to phrase it :nabble_smiley_wink:. She is only an 84 but I feel like it already has its own story to tell.

No hurry here sir, I greatly appreciate all the advice thus far as well. If we can collectively get things going and make some deals here and there that would be great. I would like to return her to the way she was meant to be, although I do enjoy the "hot rod" style nature of what she is right now....if that is the right way to phrase it :nabble_smiley_wink:. She is only an 84 but I feel like it already has its own story to tell.

Let's start a list of the things we, collectively, think you need. From what I've understood, you need:

• The underhood HVAC plastic piece

• A/C evaporator that goes in the underhood part

• Heater core

• Blower motor

• HVAC controls: But, which one. You don't have a signature to tell us what your truck is. Does it have dual tanks? The switch for the tanks goes in the HVAC control panel.

• Headlight switch: Do you need the wiring to it?

• Wiper switch: Do you need the wiring to it?

• Ducting: You said you have the underdash ducting. All of it?

• HVAC motors: Are there several metal, probably shiny, vacuum motors attached to the ductwork?

• Are there vacuum hoses attached and to the vacuum motors and coming a common header?

• Vacuum hoses near the passenger's side hood hinge, and two going into the cab where they stop at a connector?

• Temp control cable. If your truck had factory A/C the temperature would have been controlled via a cable. It goes from the top lever in the HVAC control panel to the blend door near the heater core.

What am I missing, guys? I started looking at what I have and quickly started thinking "But what about..." and decided we need a list.

Let's start a list of the things we, collectively, think you need. From what I've understood, you need:

• The underhood HVAC plastic piece

• A/C evaporator that goes in the underhood part

• Heater core

• Blower motor

• HVAC controls: But, which one. You don't have a signature to tell us what your truck is. Does it have dual tanks? The switch for the tanks goes in the HVAC control panel.

• Headlight switch: Do you need the wiring to it?

• Wiper switch: Do you need the wiring to it?

• Ducting: You said you have the underdash ducting. All of it?

• HVAC motors: Are there several metal, probably shiny, vacuum motors attached to the ductwork?

• Are there vacuum hoses attached and to the vacuum motors and coming a common header?

• Vacuum hoses near the passenger's side hood hinge, and two going into the cab where they stop at a connector?

• Temp control cable. If your truck had factory A/C the temperature would have been controlled via a cable. It goes from the top lever in the HVAC control panel to the blend door near the heater core.

What am I missing, guys? I started looking at what I have and quickly started thinking "But what about..." and decided we need a list.

I will just modify the list, thanks for all this by the way.

-The underhood HVAC plastic piece

-A/C evaporator that goes in the underhood part

-Heater core

-Blower motor

-HVAC control for a single tank truck

-Headlight switch, no wiring necessary

-Wiper switch, no wiring necessary

-Ducting: I only have 3 basic parts for the under dash ducting. 2 long pieces that connect together to link the driver and passenger air vents, and I have the defrost portion.

-HVAC motors: would need it all, as I have nothing, only the 3 internal ducts with nothing else attached to them. (no necessary vacuum motors, etc)

-Vacuum hoses near the passenger's side hood hinge: no I do not have any of this, however I can create any necessary hoses unless they have rare and specific connectors.

-Temp control cable. I do not know if my truck originally came with A/C or not, I have not even looked to see if there was a compressor on the motor. I just assumed there was not since the previous owner(s) gutted all the heat and possible AC components.

I will just modify the list, thanks for all this by the way.

-The underhood HVAC plastic piece

-A/C evaporator that goes in the underhood part

-Heater core

-Blower motor

-HVAC control for a single tank truck

-Headlight switch, no wiring necessary

-Wiper switch, no wiring necessary

-Ducting: I only have 3 basic parts for the under dash ducting. 2 long pieces that connect together to link the driver and passenger air vents, and I have the defrost portion.

-HVAC motors: would need it all, as I have nothing, only the 3 internal ducts with nothing else attached to them. (no necessary vacuum motors, etc)

-Vacuum hoses near the passenger's side hood hinge: no I do not have any of this, however I can create any necessary hoses unless they have rare and specific connectors.

-Temp control cable. I do not know if my truck originally came with A/C or not, I have not even looked to see if there was a compressor on the motor. I just assumed there was not since the previous owner(s) gutted all the heat and possible AC components.

Let's work off your list. However, I think we need to determine what kind of HVAC your truck originally had before we proceed. Let me go take a pic of Dad's truck's firewall so we can compare it to yours. That's because there are at least two different firewalls and the HVAC boxes don't interchange. I think yours is A/C, but let's make sure......