Bullnose Forums

Power Steering Return Rubber Hose Size?

By golly it does. :nabble_smiley_good:

The hose I have is the long, "cooler" type of hose, but there is definitely no in-line cooler on my system.

I have the "3A713" type hose and can confirm that it definitely has clamps.

The issue is that I actually bought brand new send/return lines from Rock Auto a couple of months ago, and after matching the parts with their website make/model search feature, when I got the parts and tried to install them, the fitting was WAY smaller than the one it was replacing.

I couldn't find an alternative, so I had to send it all back at my cost and have since not been able to find a replacement with the larger fitting.

From what I can tell, everything on my truck (well, the things I have not replaced) is factory standard-issue.

Any links to parts would be really appreciated as I've searched.

The hose I have is the long, "cooler" type of hose, but there is definitely no in-line cooler on my system.

The issue is that I actually bought brand new send/return lines from Rock Auto a couple of months ago, and after matching the parts with their website make/model search feature, when I got the parts and tried to install them, the fitting was WAY smaller than the one it was replacing.

I couldn't find an alternative, so I had to send it all back at my cost and have since not been able to find a replacement with the larger fitting.

From what I can tell, everything on my truck (well, the things I have not replaced) is factory standard-issue.

Do you have any pictures of the steering box in your truck? Something isn't right...that same box was used on every F150-up for 17 years.

What are the part numbers of the hoses you sent back?

Do you have any pictures of the steering box in your truck? Something isn't right...that same box was used on every F150-up for 17 years.

What are the part numbers of the hoses you sent back?

Hi Rembrandt,

I'll have to dig up the information - it's dark when I get home from work, so it will most likely have to wait until the weekend to take pics.

Will post here with an update as soon as I can.

The return line isn’t under much pressure. Some 3/8 fuel hose and clamps are all you need... just be careful with the plastic barb on the reservoir of your pump. The get brittle and you might want to slit the old hose if it does not pull off easily.

The return line isn’t under much pressure. Some 3/8 fuel hose and clamps are all you need... just be careful with the plastic barb on the reservoir of your pump. The get brittle and you might want to slit the old hose if it does not pull off easily.

Usually, it's the reservoir that's leaking, and it just runs down the return hose, making it LOOK like that's the source. So I suspect that changing this hose won't slow down his leak.

Usually, it's the reservoir that's leaking, and it just runs down the return hose, making it LOOK like that's the source. So I suspect that changing this hose won't slow down his leak.

If that is the case, is there a way to fix the reservoir or is a new/replacement unit needed?

If that is the case, is there a way to fix the reservoir or is a new/replacement unit needed?

That would depend on where the leak is from. What I remember is that the case is all plastic, so if it has cracked you may have a hard time getting any glue or epoxy to stick. You'd have to clean it really well and make sure that no power steering fluid comes back through the crack before the glue sets.

It may not be worth it if you are upgrading. But, how bad is the leak?