Bullnose Forums

Power Steering Return Rubber Hose Size?

Hi guys,

Before I tackle the power steering/steering box upgrade, I'd like to try and stop the leak that I believe is coming from the rubber part of the return power steering hose.

That being said, what size hose do I need for it?... and I imagine a high-pressure variant is needed, but any confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It isn't really under pressure, so doesn't need to be a high-pressure hose. But, the catalog gives part numbers and no specifications so I can't help you that way on the size. If no one else can I may get out to the shop tomorrow and can see what I can figure out.

It isn't really under pressure, so doesn't need to be a high-pressure hose. But, the catalog gives part numbers and no specifications so I can't help you that way on the size. If no one else can I may get out to the shop tomorrow and can see what I can figure out.

Ok, thanks Gary.

I think I have some left over 5/16" trans cooler hose from when I was sorting out the trans cooler line leak a few months ago, which if it's the right size, I could put to use.

Gary, I have just received a NOS P/S cooler with the rubber hose. It is marked 3/8" power steering return.

Ok, so is it safe to use 3/8" hose or does it need to have a metal tube inside the hose?

David - thanks.

Quarterwave - There are two versions, as shown below. One without the cooler and one with. But both have metal lines, and I believe the hose goes onto barbs on the line and then has a crimped keeper over it.

So, if the hose is leaking then you'll have to cut the keeper off, get the hose off the tube, and then replace the hose and use a hose clamp. However, I've not done that so I'm not 100% sure that's the way it works. Perhaps someone else knows?

windsor.thumb.jpg.c0f371d90831207c25a471b430f01566.jpg

David - thanks.

Quarterwave - There are two versions, as shown below. One without the cooler and one with. But both have metal lines, and I believe the hose goes onto barbs on the line and then has a crimped keeper over it.

So, if the hose is leaking then you'll have to cut the keeper off, get the hose off the tube, and then replace the hose and use a hose clamp. However, I've not done that so I'm not 100% sure that's the way it works. Perhaps someone else knows?

The one I have uses hose clamps on each end of the rubber hose.