Bullnose Forums

Rear gear - engine stops

Next question. How could i test - diagnose TPS?

You use a digital voltmeter and check the voltage as shown in pic below, which is from the the link above. I believe that Vref is the orange/white wire, Signal Voltage will be the dark green/light green wire, and Ground is the black/white wire.

You will have to guestimate the angle, but if I'm right the TPS is going "open", meaning not providing an output or signal voltage just off idle. So I wouldn't worry about making sure that the signal voltage is spot-on at all the angles. Instead I would concentrate on what happens as you open the throttle. Does the voltage increase smoothly or does it go to zero and then come back at some point?

tps-values.thumb.jpg.a9be66e6c1b181568473bf033adbcb80.jpg

This is Page 57 from the 1986 EVTM, and you can see the TPS at the top left.

1974700_orig.thumb.jpg.47ac3ff4ff82729572edf7d39f631006.jpg

You use a digital voltmeter and check the voltage as shown in pic below, which is from the the link above. I believe that Vref is the orange/white wire, Signal Voltage will be the dark green/light green wire, and Ground is the black/white wire.

You will have to guestimate the angle, but if I'm right the TPS is going "open", meaning not providing an output or signal voltage just off idle. So I wouldn't worry about making sure that the signal voltage is spot-on at all the angles. Instead I would concentrate on what happens as you open the throttle. Does the voltage increase smoothly or does it go to zero and then come back at some point?

This is Page 57 from the 1986 EVTM, and you can see the TPS at the top left.

Gary,

I checked TPS. It is OK.

Now i have to check idle :)

Gary,

I checked TPS. It is OK.

Now i have to check idle :)

This caption has more detail about the TPS:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/173616/thumbnail/tps-graph.jpg

This caption explains the idle:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/231296/thumbnail/iac-cutaway.jpg

Read that whole caption before attempting to diagnose or adjust anything. Note that it mentions the TPS as a cause for poor idle quality.