• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Why stop then? :nabble_anim_confused:

And beyond!!! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Hi,

I am also happy this turned out well at the end.

But this rises a question to me, as my factory oil gauge shows me full pressure and low pressure whithin a few seconds. Sometimes it seems to be fine at 2000rpm and sometimes not. Sometimes it shows me good pressure while idling sometimes not.

But if the rpms go higher than 3500rpm it shows me low oil pressure.

Oil level is definetely fine.

It looks like I should change the pumb, what dio you think ?

Hi,

I am also happy this turned out well at the end.

But this rises a question to me, as my factory oil gauge shows me full pressure and low pressure whithin a few seconds. Sometimes it seems to be fine at 2000rpm and sometimes not. Sometimes it shows me good pressure while idling sometimes not.

But if the rpms go higher than 3500rpm it shows me low oil pressure.

Oil level is definetely fine.

It looks like I should change the pumb, what dio you think ?

Pumps rarely go bad. It's such a simple system, its almost foolproof. Three other things are more plausible. Check your pressure with a mechanical gauge, first. Next two aren't as easy. The pump pickup screen can get clogged, or your bearings are worn. When the bearings are worn, pressure will drop as RPMs rise.

Pumps rarely go bad. It's such a simple system, its almost foolproof. Three other things are more plausible. Check your pressure with a mechanical gauge, first. Next two aren't as easy. The pump pickup screen can get clogged, or your bearings are worn. When the bearings are worn, pressure will drop as RPMs rise.

I agree with Pete. Check first with a mechanical gauge to see that you really have a problem. But, the symptoms of dropping pressure with increasing RPM are consistent with a clogged pickup screen and, to some extent, worn bearings. Better check things out, soon.

Edit: I should have asked about the fuel level and water temp gauges. If they change at the same time the oil pressure gauge changes then the problem is the ICVR. But, that doesn't explain the dropping of pressure at higher RPM.

I agree with Pete. Check first with a mechanical gauge to see that you really have a problem. But, the symptoms of dropping pressure with increasing RPM are consistent with a clogged pickup screen and, to some extent, worn bearings. Better check things out, soon.

Edit: I should have asked about the fuel level and water temp gauges. If they change at the same time the oil pressure gauge changes then the problem is the ICVR. But, that doesn't explain the dropping of pressure at higher RPM.

I am gonna check tomorrow.

Fuelgauge and Water seems to be fine.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am gonna check tomorrow.

Fuelgauge and Water seems to be fine.

Thanks.

Allright, been on the car for quite some time. But still the Oil gauge is doesn‘t show show what I woul like to see.

Can you please explain what bearings (whiich ones) you do mean ?

And what is the gauge pickup screen ?

Sorry, for asking.

Allright, been on the car for quite some time. But still the Oil gauge is doesn‘t show show what I woul like to see.

Can you please explain what bearings (whiich ones) you do mean ?

And what is the gauge pickup screen ?

Sorry, for asking.

No need to apologize for asking for clarification.

The bearings would be the main, rod, and cam bearings. Loose or worn out bearings can cause the oil pressure to go low, and sometimes it gets worse/lower under load.

The screen is in the oil pump pickup, that sets in the bottom of the oil pan. I've highlighted it in the illustration below. If it gets clogged, like with gunk, it will reduce the flow of oil into the pump. And, as the engine spins faster and more oil should flow, at some point the flow into the pump won't be enough and the pressure will drop.

No need to apologize for asking for clarification.

The bearings would be the main, rod, and cam bearings. Loose or worn out bearings can cause the oil pressure to go low, and sometimes it gets worse/lower under load.

The screen is in the oil pump pickup, that sets in the bottom of the oil pan. I've highlighted it in the illustration below. If it gets clogged, like with gunk, it will reduce the flow of oil into the pump. And, as the engine spins faster and more oil should flow, at some point the flow into the pump won't be enough and the pressure will drop.

Thanks Gary, this means that both cases aren‘t good or the engine until this is fixed. The seal for the oilpan is ordered. Until this arrives I will not let the engine run.

Thanks again.