Bullnose Forums

My '82 Flareside

PetesPonies

Here's a funny pic.

I decided to remove the upper cowl section and have a good look. as expected, no rust or seam sealer missing, etc. However, I will coat the seams with Master Series before I put the upper cowl in place. I flooded the cowl with water, looking for the leak. On the left side, I found the leak shown in the pic. Funny. That is the hole for the screw that attaches the kick panel. So obviously an obstruction in the drain. I removed dirt and debris . . and . . a 3m sanding pad. Hmm, that would certainly block things up. I cleaned it all with the hose and all is well. On the right side, again a leak from the side drain. But instead of at the screw hole, it was at the seam, inside the vent panel hole . .hard to explain. I also cleaned out debris. I will seal all the seams with Master Series, seal the vent access panel and even the screws that holds the panel and the kick panel.

I think whoever was supposed to be sealing the right side area was permanently out to lunch during the 80s, Darth had a completely unsealed area in the right airbox causing a leak from the seam that ran down under the carpet and rusted the floor though.

I think whoever was supposed to be sealing the right side area was permanently out to lunch during the 80s, Darth had a completely unsealed area in the right airbox causing a leak from the seam that ran down under the carpet and rusted the floor though.

I agree :)

So here is the cowl area with MS on it. I made sure the entire seam was coated, as well as down the sides to the drain location.

Then painted the inside of the two drain areas, from the access panel. I made sure the MS was was in the seams. I'm hoping no more problems here.

Hey Pete where is this access panel holes. In the A pillar?

Right this is an AC truck, so no vents there, just the access panel. So I have fixed another leak on the right side, by the HVAC unit and now I think I do have a small drip at the windshield, so the trim is coming off next :) left side is bone dry now.

Yep. The adhesive/sealer around the windshield dries and cracks on these trucks. The right way to fix it is to remove the windshield, fix the rust that probably has started, and re-seal it. An interim fix is to use flowable RTV, but that doesn't fix any rust that has started.

Right this is an AC truck, so no vents there, just the access panel. So I have fixed another leak on the right side, by the HVAC unit and now I think I do have a small drip at the windshield, so the trim is coming off next :) left side is bone dry now.

Pete, one item to consider, the cowl vent grille on the 1980 - 86 models has some fairly large holes in it, leaves will fall in there along with other small items. In 1987 through the 1991 models, the shape is the same but the holes are a bunch of probably 3/16-1/4" holes and the crap build up in the bottom of the air boxes is much lower and seems to self clear (I have a 1990 front end on Darth and during a hard rain, or if I hose the cowl area down, water pours out of the area behind the fenders). I took some plastic screen material on a Chevy van I was fixing as it had the same kind of crap in the air boxes, I laid it under the cowl cover and leaves can still fall on it, but blow off with no problem.

Pete, one item to consider, the cowl vent grille on the 1980 - 86 models has some fairly large holes in it, leaves will fall in there along with other small items. In 1987 through the 1991 models, the shape is the same but the holes are a bunch of probably 3/16-1/4" holes and the crap build up in the bottom of the air boxes is much lower and seems to self clear (I have a 1990 front end on Darth and during a hard rain, or if I hose the cowl area down, water pours out of the area behind the fenders). I took some plastic screen material on a Chevy van I was fixing as it had the same kind of crap in the air boxes, I laid it under the cowl cover and leaves can still fall on it, but blow off with no problem.

The small drip I am still getting ( never noticed it before the other leaks were fixed ) is hitting the door hinge threaded plates. It then bounces out the hole in the kick panel area and lands on the floor. It is very small, but I watched them hit the threaded plate, and then bounce out onto the floor.That area is not part of the cowl drain.

The small drip I am still getting ( never noticed it before the other leaks were fixed ) is hitting the door hinge threaded plates. It then bounces out the hole in the kick panel area and lands on the floor. It is very small, but I watched them hit the threaded plate, and then bounce out onto the floor.That area is not part of the cowl drain.

I'm curious where that is coming from. I'm sure you'll find out, so please let us know.