Bullnose Forums

My '82 Flareside

PetesPonies

Making good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the speaker grille, scoring a pair of good ones from a salvage, or from someone on here would solve the problem. But I'll warn you that people have told me the re-pops from places like LMC aren't as good as the original ones. A friend put the ones from LMC on and they flex quite a bit, as if the plastic isn't as thick or some bracing wasn't included.

Mine are made by Dashtop. No cracks in the panel itself and they aren't new. But someone obviously broke the speaker grille on the left one, right one is fine. I'm going to contact the manu, probably will get me nowhere.

Mine are made by Dashtop. No cracks in the panel itself and they aren't new. But someone obviously broke the speaker grille on the left one, right one is fine. I'm going to contact the manu, probably will get me nowhere.

So, the speaker grille problem is solved. I have a set of Dashtop door panels for my Bronco I'm building. I decided to rob Peter to pay Paul, as I need the grille now. I then called Dashtop this morning, spoke to Dennis. He told me no problem, send m an email and I'll send one out. Wow . .life long buyer here now. Good deal.

Hey Petesponies have you got any pics of he hinges as I think both my doors are missing them too. Where did you get the replacement parts and how hard were they to change

Oz, here is a pic of the spring installed. It is difficult to make out. It is the rusty looking vertical piece. You are seeing from an angle that doesn't show the "S".

hinge_spring.thumb.jpg.d9236e126bccce111fbc305d72509bee.jpg

I actually got it here, from Gary.

Yep. And, in theory I have two more. Huck, the 1990 half-truck that gave up his crossmember and will be giving up his roof for you, Oz, probably has the same hinges as the 89 and earlier trucks. According to this they all used a 1978-designed (E8) hinge. I have one door off so I'll pull that hinge and compare to those on Dad's truck and Big Blue. It runs in my mind that there was a change along the way but that they will interchange. I'll see and report back.

(Perhaps I should just ship Huck to you instead of taking off the individual parts? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Upper_Hinge.thumb.jpg.10627436b1ceb8d46361803e565a462d.jpg

Yep. And, in theory I have two more. Huck, the 1990 half-truck that gave up his crossmember and will be giving up his roof for you, Oz, probably has the same hinges as the 89 and earlier trucks. According to this they all used a 1978-designed (E8) hinge. I have one door off so I'll pull that hinge and compare to those on Dad's truck and Big Blue. It runs in my mind that there was a change along the way but that they will interchange. I'll see and report back.

(Perhaps I should just ship Huck to you instead of taking off the individual parts? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Well, good and bad news. I do have two hinges on Huck, the '90, and they'll fit a Bullnose. But, the spring is broken on the left door, as shown below. And, I have two hinges from Bullnose trucks, but both are for the right door. So, long story short, I have three good hinges, but all are for the right door. :nabble_smiley_cry:

However, all is not lost, Oz. If your hinges are the same as the ones shown below for the Bullnose then I may be able to remove the S-spring that keeps the door open. I say "may" as I haven't tried it, but if I can then it'll sure be less expensive to ship just the springs than the whole hinge assembly.

Here is a 1982 (brown) and a 1985 hinge (blue) from the right door of a Bullnose, showing the S-spring that is depressed by the knob with the serrations as the door opens. Then, when the door is fully open, as it is on the blue hinge, the knob is trapped between the stop and the spring.

1982_and_1985_Right_Top_Hinge.thumb.jpg.c828643dca95f4e65ef68f97d239f2e0.jpg

And here is an odd retainer that probably needs to go with the spring - assuming I can get the springs out.

Spring_Retainer.thumb.jpg.505f6e22e99a6f3e8272dce010bbecad.jpg

And, for comparison, here's a good 1990 hinge. You can see a roller instead of the serrated knob, and the piece of metal between the nut and the roller is a spring. Once the roller gets past the end of the spring, as it is here, the door is held open.

1990_Upper_Hinge_-_Good.thumb.jpg.7d44c19bbaaee41e0bbfb277a305e270.jpg

But, after a few thousand cycles of the door opening and closing, in this case the left door, the spring breaks and there's nothing to hold the door open.

1990_Upper_Hinge_-_Bad.thumb.jpg.9465f0119fa87c5e9d5ac7ae3a72428c.jpg

Well, good and bad news. I do have two hinges on Huck, the '90, and they'll fit a Bullnose. But, the spring is broken on the left door, as shown below. And, I have two hinges from Bullnose trucks, but both are for the right door. So, long story short, I have three good hinges, but all are for the right door. :nabble_smiley_cry:

However, all is not lost, Oz. If your hinges are the same as the ones shown below for the Bullnose then I may be able to remove the S-spring that keeps the door open. I say "may" as I haven't tried it, but if I can then it'll sure be less expensive to ship just the springs than the whole hinge assembly.

Here is a 1982 (brown) and a 1985 hinge (blue) from the right door of a Bullnose, showing the S-spring that is depressed by the knob with the serrations as the door opens. Then, when the door is fully open, as it is on the blue hinge, the knob is trapped between the stop and the spring.

And here is an odd retainer that probably needs to go with the spring - assuming I can get the springs out.

And, for comparison, here's a good 1990 hinge. You can see a roller instead of the serrated knob, and the piece of metal between the nut and the roller is a spring. Once the roller gets past the end of the spring, as it is here, the door is held open.

But, after a few thousand cycles of the door opening and closing, in this case the left door, the spring breaks and there's nothing to hold the door open.

Thanks Gary! I'm pretty sure the hinge we've got is like that (see attached pic). Thanks for offering the spring - we'll see how we go when we arrive next year because I'll definitely have a list of things that I need to source/find when we're there. I can't take a pic of the driver's side one but it looks like it's got a tube running down the middle of the hinge and no spring either.

IMG_0224.jpg.1f5dbb5223309b445096399ceeea2880.jpgIMG_0225.jpg.ccafc85803a2753bacb770ad369776d1.jpg