Bullnose Forum

Changing C6 Pan

The factory service manual section for the C6 is here: Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/C6, and on the Rebuild Procedures tab, clear at the end, it says 8-28 ft-lbs. (Yes, Cory and Jim, it says "ft-lbs". :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Thanks Gary. So, 20 ft-lbs and we should be all set.

... and do you know what happens regarding the trans fluid getting back into the converter?

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm learning as I go along.

When I start filling the trans up with the new fluid (I imagine via the dipstick tube with a funnel), does it automatically drain into the torque converter, or do I need to start the truck and select a gear?

Just trying to visualize in my head how this works.

Thanks!

Thanks Gary. So, 20 ft-lbs and we should be all set.

... and do you know what happens regarding the trans fluid getting back into the converter?

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm learning as I go along.

When I start filling the trans up with the new fluid (I imagine via the dipstick tube with a funnel), does it automatically drain into the torque converter, or do I need to start the truck and select a gear?

Just trying to visualize in my head how this works.

Thanks!

Sorry, forgot that bit.

It does run into the torque converter as you fill, but it won't completely fill it in my experience. So you'll want to fill it to the full-when-cold line, start it up and shift into reverse and forward a few times. That will fill the torque converter fully. Then stop and check the level and you'll probably have to add at least one if not two more quarts to get to the full/cold line.

Sorry, forgot that bit.

It does run into the torque converter as you fill, but it won't completely fill it in my experience. So you'll want to fill it to the full-when-cold line, start it up and shift into reverse and forward a few times. That will fill the torque converter fully. Then stop and check the level and you'll probably have to add at least one if not two more quarts to get to the full/cold line.

Ok great - thanks for the explanation, Gary :nabble_smiley_good: