Bullnose Forums

Door Hinges

Both my vehicles as per my signature have some door sag.

On the F150 I did replace the hinge pins last year and that made no bloody difference! I have messed around with the strikers (which are new and have good bushings) and have it as good as I can, but as the doors close they still lifts up as they "seat", as such it needs a good firm push to close or it won't close properly.

Is this a candidate for replacing the hinges? If so how hard is it? any advice?

The Bronco has not had the hinge pins replaced yet, but I am thinking about doing them as it is pretty cheap and not a bad first step, thoughts?

Thank you.

Read this post (which I might also move here):

http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?6884-Door-Alignment

Steve - We have a section here (Interior/Doors) where I could add a page on hinge replacement. But that seems counter-intuitive since I would have guessed that hinge pins are exterior, and your write-up gets into fender alignment.

So, perhaps the better thing to do would be to put up a new page for Doors in the Exterior section. And on that page we could have various tabs, including one for alignment, which would be your write-up and pics. But another might be a tab for hinge repair? Perhaps Gsmblue could take pics and give us the words (in the Queen's English? :nabble_smiley_wink:) from when he does it?

Anyway, Steve, give me the word and I'll create a draft page.

Did you just replace the pins? Usually you need to use something like this kit that comes with bushings as well as new pins.

Gary - That is the exact kit I used on the truck and so the bushings were replaced.

Steve - thank you for the links, I have never removed the fender before and I will admit I am a little nervous about doing it. I will look through the info and then come back with my questions/concerns..

Thanks for the input chaps!

Gary - That is the exact kit I used on the truck and so the bushings were replaced.

Steve - thank you for the links, I have never removed the fender before and I will admit I am a little nervous about doing it. I will look through the info and then come back with my questions/concerns..

When I replaced my pins and bushings I ended up aligning the door.

After doing that, if I do any hinges again, I may just buy the whole hinge.

Gsmblue - After you used the kit did you adjust the door?

Steve - I've sorta added your page here: Exterior/Doors and on the Alignment tab. But, until you approve I've hidden it in the menu.

Also, it isn't a perfect replica as you have things in some of the captions I can't replicate. And, I'm sure there are errors. But see if that is a reasonable start.

Oh yes, I couldn't find that Rockon gif, so found something else as a placeholder. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• 1 year later...

Gsmblue - After you used the kit did you adjust the door?

Steve - I've sorta added your page here: Exterior/Doors and on the Alignment tab. But, until you approve I've hidden it in the menu.

Also, it isn't a perfect replica as you have things in some of the captions I can't replicate. And, I'm sure there are errors. But see if that is a reasonable start.

Oh yes, I couldn't find that Rockon gif, so found something else as a placeholder. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm just about to do a Hinge Pin replacement on all 4 Hinges in my 250, has this page been "approved"? so we can all see the tips and trick that Steve has for us?

Thanks,

I'm just about to do a Hinge Pin replacement on all 4 Hinges in my 250, has this page been "approved"? so we can all see the tips and trick that Steve has for us?

Thanks,

I'm trying to get the nerve up to start messing with door and body panel alignment on my truck, I'll be interested to see how your work goes.

Thanks,

I don't know that any of us have gone through Steve's instructions step-by-step to "approve" them, but Steve usually knew what he was talking about so I'd bet they are good. Give them a shot and let us know, please.