Bullnose Forums

1985 F250 4x4 6.9 Oregon

Price seems too high in my opinion. No registration means most likely it hasn’t been in regular use. The owner was fixing it up/installing new parts and then stopped and is selling. I don’t begrudge someone changing their mind part way into a project but it does beg the question of why they are bailing out.

Price seems too high in my opinion. No registration means most likely it hasn’t been in regular use. The owner was fixing it up/installing new parts and then stopped and is selling. I don’t begrudge someone changing their mind part way into a project but it does beg the question of why they are bailing out.

I agree - price is too high. It appears to be in nice shape, but not running and, especially, not having a registration is a big issue in my experience.

You never know what you are going to run into with the registration. As an example, my wife's cousin gave me a '50 Chevy pickup. But, it had no title as it had burned up in a house fire. Fortunately the state couldn't find any info on the truck so we got to re-title it. But, had they found it I'd have had to pay all of the back taxes, and it appeared to not have been registered since in the 60's. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I agree - price is too high. It appears to be in nice shape, but not running and, especially, not having a registration is a big issue in my experience.

You never know what you are going to run into with the registration. As an example, my wife's cousin gave me a '50 Chevy pickup. But, it had no title as it had burned up in a house fire. Fortunately the state couldn't find any info on the truck so we got to re-title it. But, had they found it I'd have had to pay all of the back taxes, and it appeared to not have been registered since in the 60's. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Interesting point Gary. In AZ they don’t go after you for past registration as long as you sign a waiver stating the vehicle has not been in use. If it hadn’t been registered in a long time, the title becomes “inactive” and there is a fee to reinstate it but that’s not too bad. I think it was ~$40? on the parts car I bought and scrapped. I just needed a clear title for the junkyard to accept it and I couldn’t transfer it because it was “inactive”. I had the title, and it was signed and notarized, though...

Now a missing title in AZ really sucks. The abandoned vehicle legal language specifically prohibits you for applying for a title if you buy a vehicle with improper documentation OR you are restoring a classic vehicle without a title. I think there are work arounds, like what constitutes a classic/antique/vintage vehicle, and it’s hard to prove whether you bought an untitled vehicle or whether it has just been sitting on your property since forever... but they sure don’t make it easy. Maybe if they at least made money in back registration fees the legal lingo would be more in favor of letting people apply for lost title replacement 😔

Interesting point Gary. In AZ they don’t go after you for past registration as long as you sign a waiver stating the vehicle has not been in use. If it hadn’t been registered in a long time, the title becomes “inactive” and there is a fee to reinstate it but that’s not too bad. I think it was ~$40? on the parts car I bought and scrapped. I just needed a clear title for the junkyard to accept it and I couldn’t transfer it because it was “inactive”. I had the title, and it was signed and notarized, though...

Now a missing title in AZ really sucks. The abandoned vehicle legal language specifically prohibits you for applying for a title if you buy a vehicle with improper documentation OR you are restoring a classic vehicle without a title. I think there are work arounds, like what constitutes a classic/antique/vintage vehicle, and it’s hard to prove whether you bought an untitled vehicle or whether it has just been sitting on your property since forever... but they sure don’t make it easy. Maybe if they at least made money in back registration fees the legal lingo would be more in favor of letting people apply for lost title replacement 😔

Yipes!

In OK you can declare a vehicle "off the road", which is called "black tagged" and says it isn't being driven. The Super Bee is that way. And during that time there's no taxes beyond the tag.

I guess the key is knowing the vehicle laws in the state/province in which you live and/or are buying the vehicle. But, not knowing what they are in Oregon the lack of registration is a huge red flag for me.

Yipes!

In OK you can declare a vehicle "off the road", which is called "black tagged" and says it isn't being driven. The Super Bee is that way. And during that time there's no taxes beyond the tag.

I guess the key is knowing the vehicle laws in the state/province in which you live and/or are buying the vehicle. But, not knowing what they are in Oregon the lack of registration is a huge red flag for me.

There are so many good trucks here in Oregon that I just can't see the value on this one.

I am not sure what the title laws are here, but that sure is a red flag!

Yipes!

AZ has the same procedure, I filed paperwork on my diesel to de-register it while it’s being built. As far as I know it is just the correct way to do it instead of signing the non use waiver when you go to register it again. I don’t know if my title will be declared inactive, but even if it is, it’s just a little fee to pay. Less than registration for years, and technically it’s supposed to be insured as well.

I also find it funny when sellers brag “tags good through 2023” as if you intend to drive around on their registration and plates until it expires... when I buy a vehicle in AZ I bring a power inverter for the cigarette lighter, a laptop and a printer. I go to the mvd website and buy the 3 day temporary tag and print it out on the spot after cash and title changes hands. I tape it to the car and hand them their plate back. Then I call my insurer and add the car and download the insurance card on my phone. Then I feel good about leaving the driveway with it... 😓

AZ has the same procedure, I filed paperwork on my diesel to de-register it while it’s being built. As far as I know it is just the correct way to do it instead of signing the non use waiver when you go to register it again. I don’t know if my title will be declared inactive, but even if it is, it’s just a little fee to pay. Less than registration for years, and technically it’s supposed to be insured as well.

I also find it funny when sellers brag “tags good through 2023” as if you intend to drive around on their registration and plates until it expires... when I buy a vehicle in AZ I bring a power inverter for the cigarette lighter, a laptop and a printer. I go to the mvd website and buy the 3 day temporary tag and print it out on the spot after cash and title changes hands. I tape it to the car and hand them their plate back. Then I call my insurer and add the car and download the insurance card on my phone. Then I feel good about leaving the driveway with it... 😓

I'm going to assume something here, because of the way people say things. A lot of times when they say it needs registration, it needs new tags, not retitled. Says clean title, I know, define clean title! :nabble_smiley_wink:

If it just needs a battery, why not put one in before you sell it? Unless you just can't afford one. If you can throw a battery in there and drive off, the price is ok. I wouldn't pay that much, but I'm cheap!

However, something about this throws up the red flag.