Bullnose Forums

Vin - Location

ETM

E4OD. Came out of Huck, the '90 F250.

OK, very good sir. That explains a lot. I kept seeing that one when I was searching for a 1988-1996 4x4 5spd crossmember, and I didn't know what it was for. I had a couple guys tell me they were for a 5spd, but I knew they were not.

Right - the ZF5 crossmember bolts into the original holes in the frame but is offset to the rear about an inch.

Perhaps we need a page on crossmembers? With pictures, part numbers, usage, etc?

The only full VIN's are the plate on the leading edge of the dash and on the certification label on the door post. And, speaking of that one, you can't remove it and have anything. What comes off is the clear plastic cover and that appears to wipe out the letters.

And anything on a door is not legal anyway. It's just for convenience, not titling purposes. Finding a frame VIN is what will be needed by the authorities.

Ok, the cab's off Dad's truck and I can update these dimensions.

As it turns out, there are two partial VIN's on the frame. In the pic below the tape measure starts at the rear bolt of the passenger's side radius arm mount and the rear VIN starts at about 21" back while the front one starts at 11" back - even with the transmission crossmember's front hole. (There are two sets of holes in this pic, with the 1st on the right and the 3rd one from the right being the original holes, the the 2nd and 4th from the right are for using the original crossmember with a ZF5.)

Here's another view of them:

Gary, I have seen two partial vin’s on a junkyard truck before. One was under the seat and the other was under the heater blower/above the starter. But it looks like both of yours may be under the cab?

Yep, both are under the cab. :nabble_anim_confused:

Wow. That is interesting. Two is rare enough, but that forward location is a new one on me. I looked pretty much everywhere, but if the clearance is very tight there, perhaps that’s where it was hiding on my ‘82 donor?

Wow. That is interesting. Two is rare enough, but that forward location is a new one on me. I looked pretty much everywhere, but if the clearance is very tight there, perhaps that’s where it was hiding on my ‘82 donor?

The forward one is the one I took the pic of a week or two ago. And it is tight.

Partial_VIN_Location.jpg.98a6333f7c82421408ef3752fa80ea44.jpg

The forward one is the one I took the pic of a week or two ago. And it is tight.

Since I'm more of an old Ford truck guy . . the F100 and F150s in the sixties and seventies had a VIN on the right side of the front frame. It would be just in front of the cab. Go back farther, sol into the late 20s and 30s . . it was actually right under the cowl. You couldn't see it without removing the cowl/cab.

Right - the ZF5 crossmember bolts into the original holes in the frame but is offset to the rear about an inch.

Perhaps we need a page on crossmembers? With pictures, part numbers, usage, etc?

Pete - Ford seems to have been stamping a partial VIN on the frame for years, although not always in the same place. But only stamping it on some of the small-blocks and never on transmissions. At the same time Chrysler was stamping both engines and transmissions, and GM stamped lots of things.

Anyway, I've added links to this thread on the VIN decoding page (Specifications/VIN Decoding) so people can see what's been said about where the partials are. Or might be.

As for the idea of a crossmember page, if I don't take pics of that E4OD one pretty quickly it'll be too late. And, I have a ZF5 crossmember I should also shoot. Plus whatever else I have in the attic. :nabble_anim_working:

Pete - Ford seems to have been stamping a partial VIN on the frame for years, although not always in the same place. But only stamping it on some of the small-blocks and never on transmissions. At the same time Chrysler was stamping both engines and transmissions, and GM stamped lots of things.

Anyway, I've added links to this thread on the VIN decoding page (Specifications/VIN Decoding) so people can see what's been said about where the partials are. Or might be.

As for the idea of a crossmember page, if I don't take pics of that E4OD one pretty quickly it'll be too late. And, I have a ZF5 crossmember I should also shoot. Plus whatever else I have in the attic. :nabble_anim_working:

Gary, if you want to use a complete VIN for the later trucks, feel free to use Darth's. I can send it, but I believe you may already have it in the VECI label or vacuum diagrams.

Cute story, yesterday I went up to Auto Zone in Onley to get some new wiper blades. One of the kids working there asked me how hard it was to replace the ball joints on Darth. He was adamant that ALL twin I-beam Ford trucks had ball joints. I finally started him, turned the wheels all the way to the left and told him to show me the ball joints. He had never seen a twin I-beam with king pins. I did tell him that as far as I knew, that was the last year the F350 2WD didn't have ball joints like his Ranger.

Gary, if you want to use a complete VIN for the later trucks, feel free to use Darth's. I can send it, but I believe you may already have it in the VECI label or vacuum diagrams.

Cute story, yesterday I went up to Auto Zone in Onley to get some new wiper blades. One of the kids working there asked me how hard it was to replace the ball joints on Darth. He was adamant that ALL twin I-beam Ford trucks had ball joints. I finally started him, turned the wheels all the way to the left and told him to show me the ball joints. He had never seen a twin I-beam with king pins. I did tell him that as far as I knew, that was the last year the F350 2WD didn't have ball joints like his Ranger.

Bill - Not sure what you mean by "use a complete VIN". What did you have in mind?

As for the story, folks seem to think that since they've not seen it in their short lives it didn't happen. Gotta get out a bit more. :nabble_smiley_wink: