Bullnose Forums

New from Gladstone, Or and new 1981 F250 4x4

Hi All, i just recently bought an 1981 ford F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 (for probably way to much but oh well!) I'll be using it to help as i fix up my old house (got tired of strapping lumber and furniture to the roof of my saturn), and plan to slowly fix it up as money and time allow. Im still just learning how it likes to operate, idle, etc but i have a list of issues to tackle and this forum seems like a wealth of info. Im based in the Portland Oregon area (just south in Gladstone).image1-3.jpeg.0cc3ec2876ffe54e67355315f44d7b01.jpeg

Welcome to the group! That is a great looking truck, I am biased toward 81’s 😁😇. Also looks like it may have the “Trailer Special” (red badges on the fender)? You almost never see that. You will love this for your home improvement projects.

Welcome Delco, nice truck indeed.

Had an '82 I'm trying to find some pictures of. I built it about 25 years ago, but would love the trip down memory lane 😉

You're about three blocks off from reality Gary. I'd say thats close enough! :nabble_anim_claps:

Also, the truck is a trailer special! 2 battery, heavy duty everything it seems, transmission cooler, auto, speed control, and lots of options! I was pretty excited to find it, as this truck should be able to do everything but sip gas, and i loved the color scheme. Parts are proving to be harder to find tho. I have a 1955 crown victoria that has basically all parts available NOS or reproduced....but an 81 ford truck has so few parts available. I guess not many are fixing up 80s trucks (yet). Eventually ill replace the carpet (prolly from AAC), replace the faded door panels, and roof liner. Might even switch out the newer radio for an original am/fm w 8-track player if it doesn't cost me hundreds (radios are expensive on eBay!).

I actually do not like the tires/wheels, they're not original, and loud as they're more for mudding. Ill be (eventually) getting original wheels and hubcaps ( i like my vehicles stock :nabble_smiley_cool:). Im still learning about tires but they're huge , must be 16.5 inches by "something wider than original" (maybe 8?).