Bullnose Forums

Engine harness rebuild 5.0 efi

Does that seem like a good idea?
No. It will get really-confusing really fast, and when you have problems later, it'll be nearly impossible to figure out.

Striped wire isn't common, but it IS available & affordable. I keep several of the ones that either match or are similar to Ford colors so I can modify & repair harnesses (which I do often), so I haven't ordered any in a while. There are a few sellers on eBay & Amazon, and it takes a little effort to find them, but it's worth the effort.

Another good source is any Ford product in your local JYs. That's probably also the cheapest & best, and you're guaranteed to get Ford colors & quality.

It's the CONNECTORs that you should thinking about changing - not the wire colors. Don't feel like you have to keep using those antiques that weren't very good to begin with. Newer connectors are MUCH better; often having Gold-plated terminals. Just avoid the tiny ones that are difficult to re-pin.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that seem like a good idea?
No. It will get really-confusing really fast, and when you have problems later, it'll be nearly impossible to figure out.

Striped wire isn't common, but it IS available & affordable. I keep several of the ones that either match or are similar to Ford colors so I can modify & repair harnesses (which I do often), so I haven't ordered any in a while. There are a few sellers on eBay & Amazon, and it takes a little effort to find them, but it's worth the effort.

Another good source is any Ford product in your local JYs. That's probably also the cheapest & best, and you're guaranteed to get Ford colors & quality.

It's the CONNECTORs that you should thinking about changing - not the wire colors. Don't feel like you have to keep using those antiques that weren't very good to begin with. Newer connectors are MUCH better; often having Gold-plated terminals. Just avoid the tiny ones that are difficult to re-pin.

I agree completely, I salvage harnesses and parts of harnesses every chance I get. That way I can usually match the original colors so it is easier to follow (try working on a 1970 Rover 3500, all the wires were white with cloured tubes at the ends).

I agree completely, I salvage harnesses and parts of harnesses every chance I get. That way I can usually match the original colors so it is easier to follow (try working on a 1970 Rover 3500, all the wires were white with cloured tubes at the ends).

I am definitely trying to get new connectors for every sensor/ electrical device on the truck. I will definitely take another look at getting the right colored wire for each circuit, however i am not going for complete oem restore on this harness and i want to do it affordably. I need approximately 300 feet of wire. Ancor wire is around 22 bucks for a 100 feet, so thats why i was just going to use a couple colors. I want to get good wire and not necessarily all of the o.e. colors. I already know that alot of the cost is just in buying each pigtail and or bare connector if i can get it. Most of my original connectors are missing the retainer clips and are really grimey. It would be nice to get all new stuff. Anyway regardless of color wire i am going to label each circuit with a labeler so troubleshooting, if there were to be any shouldn't be too difficult.

I am definitely trying to get new connectors for every sensor/ electrical device on the truck. I will definitely take another look at getting the right colored wire for each circuit, however i am not going for complete oem restore on this harness and i want to do it affordably. I need approximately 300 feet of wire. Ancor wire is around 22 bucks for a 100 feet, so thats why i was just going to use a couple colors. I want to get good wire and not necessarily all of the o.e. colors. I already know that alot of the cost is just in buying each pigtail and or bare connector if i can get it. Most of my original connectors are missing the retainer clips and are really grimey. It would be nice to get all new stuff. Anyway regardless of color wire i am going to label each circuit with a labeler so troubleshooting, if there were to be any shouldn't be too difficult.

Sorry for multiple posts, i am terrible at remembering what everyone's comments are lol. Our area (dubuque,ia) is a baron land for older vehicle junkyards. We kind of have a you pull it, but they do not have any 80s fords in their yards so that is a bit of a bummer here.

Tell me which connectors you need (I sent you an email through the site) and if I have good spares, I can help you there.

Tell me which connectors you need (I sent you an email through the site) and if I have good spares, I can help you there.

Thanks for the prompt response. I just saw your email. I really appreciate your help! Right at the moment i will have to wait until tomorrow to tell you the comprehensive list. The harness is at work and so are my lists. I do know i need an idle air control motor connector, knock sensor connector, and charge air temp connector. I could probably just buy the dorman pins for those last 2 connectors though. They are still in decent shape.

...i am not going for complete oem restore on this harness...
Right. But the original colors are the ones that will be described in wiring diagrams & troubleshooting procedures. So it's VERY beneficial to keep the correct color for each circuit.
I want to get good wire and not necessarily all of the o.e. colors.
You can have both for nearly nothing if you buy JY harnesses from newer Ford products with your truck's engine (like '92-95 F-series/Broncos).
...bare connector if i can get it.
What I meant was: don't necessarily try to get the original-shape connectors. Get newer connectors with the same number of pins, that are sized for circuits that pass roughly the same amount of current. Modern pins will be smaller, and modern plastic will be more-durable.
...troubleshooting, if there were to be any...
That's like saying "...the sun coming up tomorrow, if that were to happen..." :nabble_smiley_happy:

...i am not going for complete oem restore on this harness...
Right. But the original colors are the ones that will be described in wiring diagrams & troubleshooting procedures. So it's VERY beneficial to keep the correct color for each circuit.
I want to get good wire and not necessarily all of the o.e. colors.
You can have both for nearly nothing if you buy JY harnesses from newer Ford products with your truck's engine (like '92-95 F-series/Broncos).
...bare connector if i can get it.
What I meant was: don't necessarily try to get the original-shape connectors. Get newer connectors with the same number of pins, that are sized for circuits that pass roughly the same amount of current. Modern pins will be smaller, and modern plastic will be more-durable.
...troubleshooting, if there were to be any...
That's like saying "...the sun coming up tomorrow, if that were to happen..." :nabble_smiley_happy:

I have thought about getting new more modern connectors and there will be a couple which that will happen with, ie where the engine harness connects to the vehicle harness. There are simply to many connectors that are molded into the sensors to try to update them all. I also like the idea of maybe grabbing a harness off a newer truck if i can just repin it back to eec-iv. As i mentioned before i don't plan on keeping this engine in my truck for too much longer. :nabble_smiley_evil:

This could be an unpopular thing amongst die hard ford fans but i do have plans to put a 5.9l cummins under the hood:nabble_anim_blbl:. Ive seen a few examples of it done already. So short story long, i don't feel the need or motivation to change to a new maf system.

Also what i meant by not having to troubleshoot was with the harness itself. I shouldv'e been a little more specific. I think i have had to troubleshoot wiring in my vehicles maybe once or twice. And that has been with my f150(why im rebuilding the harness). Maybe i have just been lucky with my other vehicles. Once again i really appreciate the feedback and the concern. Today i'm going to do a little research on newer harnesses and possibly getting the correct wire colors.

I have thought about getting new more modern connectors and there will be a couple which that will happen with, ie where the engine harness connects to the vehicle harness. There are simply to many connectors that are molded into the sensors to try to update them all. I also like the idea of maybe grabbing a harness off a newer truck if i can just repin it back to eec-iv. As i mentioned before i don't plan on keeping this engine in my truck for too much longer. :nabble_smiley_evil:

This could be an unpopular thing amongst die hard ford fans but i do have plans to put a 5.9l cummins under the hood:nabble_anim_blbl:. Ive seen a few examples of it done already. So short story long, i don't feel the need or motivation to change to a new maf system.

Also what i meant by not having to troubleshoot was with the harness itself. I shouldv'e been a little more specific. I think i have had to troubleshoot wiring in my vehicles maybe once or twice. And that has been with my f150(why im rebuilding the harness). Maybe i have just been lucky with my other vehicles. Once again i really appreciate the feedback and the concern. Today i'm going to do a little research on newer harnesses and possibly getting the correct wire colors.

Kyle - You can still find the EEC-IV system in trucks up until '95, depending on the engine. In fact, the 460's were still running IV through '96 for all but the California trucks. So you don't have to find a Bullnose to get the connectors. However, you might have to re-pin the EEC connector.

You will find a few changes, a couple of pin functions changed in 1987 up, and there were some additions starting in 1998 for the E4OD. Go here for pinouts:http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/efi.html As previously mentioned, I have a few salvaged harnesses, including a 1988-91 pair, and a 1995 one. I can remove as much of the EEC-IV wiring from one of the 1988-91 harnesses and send it to you, I also have a few of the sensor plugs (ECT, ACT, Knock Sensor EGR position etc.)