Bullnose Forums

Gary's Carburetor Tests

Gary Lewis

Jonathan - I'll have to dig up the results that David and I got with the six cylinder trucks. Maybe he will know where they are.

As for the MPG this time, I was hoping for more. But we shall see what the other carbs get. I can say that the 1406 worked flawlessly. The choke could use a teeny bit more pre-load, but who knows how it'll work on the little 350, so I left it on the index. And the overall jetting gives a smooth experience. No bogs or lags anywhere, and you can't tell when the metering rods pop up nor when the secondaries open. Just a nice, smooth response. And, the engine pulls strongly.

I forgot to say that there was a little more idling than one would expect in an MPG test. There are two places where there's construction, and in one case the road is down to one lane with a timed light. I was the first one to it yesterday, so turned Big Blue off to save gas. But, when the light turned green he wouldn't crank, and by the time I jumped out and jumpered the relay it was red again. So, I idled through the next cycle of maybe 4 minutes. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Also, I took a video of the idle RPM and vacuum with both carbs. After dialing in the air/fuel mix on both carbs and setting the RPM to be the same, the vacuum was essentially the same - which fits with my expectation. And, the average vacuum of 20" and a smidgen more tells me that the engine is in good shape and the cam is quite mild. But the 2" swing from 19 to 21 also tells me there are valve problems.

However, none of this will really matter on the MPG runs as they'll all be with the same engine, tire pressure, etc. Basically the only variables I can think of are the air temp and the wind speed and direction.

You haven’t lived your life to the fullest, until you’ve Jump Out and Popped the Hood in Traffic….

You haven’t lived your life to the fullest, until you’ve Jump Out and Popped the Hood in Traffic….

Yep, it was the highlight of the day. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And this reminds me that I need to do the route again with the 750 on Big Blue. And not turn him off at the light.