Bullnose Forums

1986 California Bronco, one owner, 70k original miles - POLL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ended at $12,650 with the reserve not met.

It's that pesky 302 I'm tellin' ya, nobody wants it...lol. If it had the 351 HO it would have sold.

You are probably right. My brother and I were talking about that a few days ago. He had several of these trucks back in the day, and his experience was that the EFI'd 302 ran quite well in a light truck, but when you tried to tow with them they just didn't have the moxie that the 351HO had.

In this case, if you weren't going to tow that Bronco might be an excellent choice.

You are probably right. My brother and I were talking about that a few days ago. He had several of these trucks back in the day, and his experience was that the EFI'd 302 ran quite well in a light truck, but when you tried to tow with them they just didn't have the moxie that the 351HO had.

In this case, if you weren't going to tow that Bronco might be an excellent choice.

Gary,

I'm so used to hearing everybody complain about the lowly 302, it's the first thing that came to my mind!

PS: I saw a funny comment...not sure if it was on here or an FB, etc. Somebody was talking about spending a couple grand on doing a 302 stroker kit (probably the 347 ci if I recall correctly) and somebody replied saying that, "Hey, you know Ford also had a factory stroker kit for the 302? They called it the 351!!".

Gary,

I'm so used to hearing everybody complain about the lowly 302, it's the first thing that came to my mind!

PS: I saw a funny comment...not sure if it was on here or an FB, etc. Somebody was talking about spending a couple grand on doing a 302 stroker kit (probably the 347 ci if I recall correctly) and somebody replied saying that, "Hey, you know Ford also had a factory stroker kit for the 302? They called it the 351!!".

Yes, I often wonder why people pay good money for a kit to stroke a 302 to a bit less than what the factory got with the 351. If you want ~350 cubes then go buy a 351W. My "stroked 351M" comment in my signature is the same thing. I'm using the factory kit - a 400 crank.

Note: I'm not saying building up a 302 like you did is crazy. Plenty of power in a strong 302. But why stroke it when 351W's are everywhere? :nabble_anim_confused:

Note: I'm not saying building up a 302 like you did is crazy. Plenty of power in a strong 302. But why stroke it when 351W's are everywhere? :nabble_anim_confused:

My little mildly built 302 is perfectly fine for what I'm using it for. I technically didn't even need the power,...it all started with me taking it apart to clean up all the leaks and stuff...lol. Anyway, for a little 2wd Flareside...a 300HP 302 is more than plenty imho. I could have spent way more money that I did, but I was trying to keep it as a cheaper budget build. I even got a bit of flak for going with factory cast iron GT40 heads when there are much better aluminum options available. If for any reason I had to spend even $10 more dollars on it, I would have gone with a 351, hands down.

My little mildly built 302 is perfectly fine for what I'm using it for. I technically didn't even need the power,...it all started with me taking it apart to clean up all the leaks and stuff...lol. Anyway, for a little 2wd Flareside...a 300HP 302 is more than plenty imho. I could have spent way more money that I did, but I was trying to keep it as a cheaper budget build. I even got a bit of flak for going with factory cast iron GT40 heads when there are much better aluminum options available. If for any reason I had to spend even $10 more dollars on it, I would have gone with a 351, hands down.

The financial math to stroke a 302 doesn't make cents. :nabble_smiley_evil:

But a strong 302 can move a light truck quite nicely as well as return decent MPG to allow it to be driven and enjoyed.