Bullnose Forums

Tempting ‘86 project Bronco

In my case, I want a diesel conversion. It is going to be a project regardless. (You do see already converted ones but they have a steep novelty fee added into the asking price).

Have you seen this one in your online travels? 8-Lug Cummins Bronco.:nabble_anim_confused:

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/portland-12v-cummins-bronco/6841946636.html

I wonder how that drives with that heavy Cummins up front. Broncos are a little squirrelly as is.

Maybe that weight would help when you are wheeling, but not when your stuck, I would think.

In my case, I want a diesel conversion. It is going to be a project regardless. (You do see already converted ones but they have a steep novelty fee added into the asking price).

Have you seen this one in your online travels? 8-Lug Cummins Bronco.:nabble_anim_confused:

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/portland-12v-cummins-bronco/6841946636.html

I wonder how that drives with that heavy Cummins up front. Broncos are a little squirrelly as is.

Maybe that weight would help when you are wheeling, but not when your stuck, I would think.

The 6.9/7.3 swapped Bronco’s handle just fine, I am told. The extra weight is no doubt a liability in soft mud, but any FSB is already a heavy brick in that situation.

The 6.9/7.3 swapped Bronco’s handle just fine, I am told. The extra weight is no doubt a liability in soft mud, but any FSB is already a heavy brick in that situation.

My note to the person on Craigslist said:

I either called or emailed you last time you had this listed, but no response. Now it is back, but more expensive. Can you reply to this so we can discuss it?

Thanks,

Gary

He just responded with:

What would you like to know?

So, help me. What would I reasonably like to know? Here are some thoughts:

• Why was it taken off CL and the price raised? (Probably not reasonable to expect him to answer?)

• You said "It runs", but does it run well enough to get on a trailer easily?

• Why was it parked?

• Beyond a tuneup, is the engine solid? Does it use oil?

• You said "Need it gone." But I'm in Oklahoma, so how soon would I need to pick it up?

• Do you have a clear title? (Probably the most important question.)

My note to the person on Craigslist said:

I either called or emailed you last time you had this listed, but no response. Now it is back, but more expensive. Can you reply to this so we can discuss it?

Thanks,

Gary

He just responded with:

What would you like to know?

So, help me. What would I reasonably like to know? Here are some thoughts:

• Why was it taken off CL and the price raised? (Probably not reasonable to expect him to answer?)

• You said "It runs", but does it run well enough to get on a trailer easily?

• Why was it parked?

• Beyond a tuneup, is the engine solid? Does it use oil?

• You said "Need it gone." But I'm in Oklahoma, so how soon would I need to pick it up?

• Do you have a clear title? (Probably the most important question.)

Start with the listed questions and just go from there. The seller's initial responses will provide more insight and prepare you for further questions.

Start with the listed questions and just go from there. The seller's initial responses will provide more insight and prepare you for further questions.
Here's what I sent him:
Lots of questions. But first, I'm in Oklahoma. I saw the Bronco posted for sale about 10 days ago for $1000 and thought about what it would cost me to pull my trailer out there to get it.But, now at $1,500 I'm further in the hole with a 2,000 mile round trip. I'm still thinking about it. However, before getting very interested I thought I'd better ask a few questions:

1. Do you have a clear title to it?
  2. Why was it taken off CL and the price raised?
  3. You said "It runs", but does it run well enough to get on a trailer easily?
  4. Why was it parked?
  5. Beyond a tuneup, is the engine solid? Does it use oil? In other words, will it have to be rebuilt soon?
  6. You said "Need it gone." But I'm in Oklahoma, so how soon would I need to pick it up?
  7. You say "some rust". What is rusted? Can you provide pics of the rusted areas?
  8. I see that some of the body panels are a different color to others. Do you know what happened and what was done?
  9. Where are you in the chain of owners and where was the truck used most of its life?

Thanks,

Gary

I hope he's mistaken on what the axles came from, a TTB D44HD from an F250 isn't exactly a bolt in swap on a Bronco...

Here's what I sent him:
Lots of questions. But first, I'm in Oklahoma. I saw the Bronco posted for sale about 10 days ago for $1000 and thought about what it would cost me to pull my trailer out there to get it.But, now at $1,500 I'm further in the hole with a 2,000 mile round trip. I'm still thinking about it. However, before getting very interested I thought I'd better ask a few questions:

1. Do you have a clear title to it?
  2. Why was it taken off CL and the price raised?
  3. You said "It runs", but does it run well enough to get on a trailer easily?
  4. Why was it parked?
  5. Beyond a tuneup, is the engine solid? Does it use oil? In other words, will it have to be rebuilt soon?
  6. You said "Need it gone." But I'm in Oklahoma, so how soon would I need to pick it up?
  7. You say "some rust". What is rusted? Can you provide pics of the rusted areas?
  8. I see that some of the body panels are a different color to others. Do you know what happened and what was done?
  9. Where are you in the chain of owners and where was the truck used most of its life?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, good and fair questions. Hopefully he can provide some decent answers. Regarding the rust etc., it would probably be best for me to go look at it for you and check it over. It would have been fine to mention you know someone local who could work the deal, since out-of-town inquiries often get the cold shoulder.

I hope he's mistaken on what the axles came from, a TTB D44HD from an F250 isn't exactly a bolt in swap on a Bronco...

Indeed. Although I have seen it done.... just most of the time if they go to that much trouble it is a SAS of some kind. Some people modify the spindles to accept 8 lug hubs, but requires a lot of grinding and Chevy brake parts and other Tom foolery that I wouldn’t want anything to do with. That’s why I am really leery of other people’s conversions. Their version of acceptable might be quite different from mine... 🤨

Gary, good and fair questions. Hopefully he can provide some decent answers. Regarding the rust etc., it would probably be best for me to go look at it for you and check it over. It would have been fine to mention you know someone local who could work the deal, since out-of-town inquiries often get the cold shoulder.

Thanks for volunteering, Jonathan. I wrote back saying "By the way, I have a friend that lives near you and would like to stop by and look the Bronco over once you've answered my questions."

Thanks for volunteering, Jonathan. I wrote back saying "By the way, I have a friend that lives near you and would like to stop by and look the Bronco over once you've answered my questions."

Let me know what you find out Gary. If I can help I will 😉