Bullnose Forums

Tempting ‘86 project Bronco

So, if I pay the $1000 and "transportation fees"? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, if you are actually interested in this I could certainly facilitate a sale and I have plenty of space to hold it... I just can’t promise a specific delivery date to OK. Renting a U-haul auto transport and dragging it back to Golden Valley wouldn’t be much problem. Unfortunately I believe the trailer I borrowed may already be in Mesa, and the gas to go get it and return it would be more than simply renting (since Bronco fits easily on the U-haul).

Gary, if you are actually interested in this I could certainly facilitate a sale and I have plenty of space to hold it... I just can’t promise a specific delivery date to OK. Renting a U-haul auto transport and dragging it back to Golden Valley wouldn’t be much problem. Unfortunately I believe the trailer I borrowed may already be in Mesa, and the gas to go get it and return it would be more than simply renting (since Bronco fits easily on the U-haul).

Jonathan - I have suggested to others that you want to buy something that's already in the shape you want it to be in as it is far less expensive that way than to build one up. (Note that I did not use the term "cheaper" as it doesn't belong in that sentence.) So, I should take my own advice.

Is that sound advice in this case?

Jonathan - I have suggested to others that you want to buy something that's already in the shape you want it to be in as it is far less expensive that way than to build one up. (Note that I did not use the term "cheaper" as it doesn't belong in that sentence.) So, I should take my own advice.

Gary, I think your advice applies... but it depends on how far you want to go with it. If your goal is a fully restored or survivor-like vehicle then this is probably a money pit. If your goal is just a decent user, then this might be an opportunity. The body and interior can be the worst money gobblers, along with un-doing aftermarket “upgrades”. Ignoring the mechanical side, this one looks like clay bar + wax on the exterior, and a new carpet + interior cleaning would make it respectable. Like I have said, prices are on the rise, and stock Broncos that have not been beat on, mudded, wheeled, modified etc., are getting scarce. I think this one could be revived for similar or less money than other “user” specimens out there on the market and by reviving it yourself you would know what you had.

In my case, I want a diesel conversion. It is going to be a project regardless. (You do see already converted ones but they have a steep novelty fee added into the asking price). The best value (for me) is going to be a good body but bad engine/not running scenario since that is going to be removed and discarded anyway. The main reason I am not on this like stink on skunk is the 4-door sitting next to our pump house. Having that running would be far more useful to the Donald household than a running Bronco, and definitely more useful than a non-running project Bronco for future leisure. I hate to pass on an opportunity that is becoming scarce, but I already lost focus once on the F150. It has been a life saver, and I don’t particularly regret it... but in hind sight the time and money spent on it probably could have put the crew cab back into service. Not finished, but useable. I don’t want to make that mistake twice. I really need that back seat and diesel fuel efficiency :nabble_smiley_grin:

Lol. “If it were local I’d Buy it...” comments are not helping. For me it is local. Well, 150 miles local, but I drive past Parks every time I go to work so.... :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Ha! Sorry Jonathan!

A couple days ago a 1980 Flareside 4x4 with a Big block in it showed up for sale locally (70 miles away), not running, for $3400 bucks. Flaresides NEVER show up for sale around here, certainly not a 4x4, running or not. I was tripping over myself thinking I had to go see this thing and potentially grab it, but I later settled down thinking of the two trucks I have in pieces now...lol. In any case, the Flareside for sale disappeared in a little over 24 hours, so it went quick, which I assumed it would.

In my case, something worth $3400 that needs a ton of work is easier to ignore than something with a decent body for $1000 bucks. I don't need or even want a Bronco really, but for a $1000 bucks I'd be very tempted...lol.

I scan the AZ Craigslist every now and then in case I see something for a decent price that I absolutely must have! For me, there are only a few Bullnose variations that fit the bill, so the rest are easy to ignore.

Keep posting up the deals you find. Those of us that can't have them certainly enjoy seeing them and pondering the possibilities;).

Gary, I think your advice applies... but it depends on how far you want to go with it. If your goal is a fully restored or survivor-like vehicle then this is probably a money pit. If your goal is just a decent user, then this might be an opportunity. The body and interior can be the worst money gobblers, along with un-doing aftermarket “upgrades”. Ignoring the mechanical side, this one looks like clay bar + wax on the exterior, and a new carpet + interior cleaning would make it respectable. Like I have said, prices are on the rise, and stock Broncos that have not been beat on, mudded, wheeled, modified etc., are getting scarce. I think this one could be revived for similar or less money than other “user” specimens out there on the market and by reviving it yourself you would know what you had.

In my case, I want a diesel conversion. It is going to be a project regardless. (You do see already converted ones but they have a steep novelty fee added into the asking price). The best value (for me) is going to be a good body but bad engine/not running scenario since that is going to be removed and discarded anyway. The main reason I am not on this like stink on skunk is the 4-door sitting next to our pump house. Having that running would be far more useful to the Donald household than a running Bronco, and definitely more useful than a non-running project Bronco for future leisure. I hate to pass on an opportunity that is becoming scarce, but I already lost focus once on the F150. It has been a life saver, and I don’t particularly regret it... but in hind sight the time and money spent on it probably could have put the crew cab back into service. Not finished, but useable. I don’t want to make that mistake twice. I really need that back seat and diesel fuel efficiency :nabble_smiley_grin:

Jonathan - I awoke this morning thinking about this "opportunity". Boy, I'd really like to do it. But, my own advice and experience tells me this is not what I should do. With the Super Bee and '50 Chevy I have plenty of projects already. And I really need to focus on getting Dad's truck further along and Big Blue more usable. So, I'm going to pass. Reluctantly.

A wise man once said "A good man always knows his limitations.” And I'm certainly starting to realize my limitations. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Cory - I have a new trailer and a truck that has proven it'll tow quite well. But a 2000 mile round trip is gonna double the price of that Bronco. So now it isn't the screaming deal it appeared to be. And, as Jonathan suggested, it would be a huge distraction at a time when I don't need more distractions.

But, like you, I'll keep looking. :nabble_smiley_evil:

• 1 month later...

Jonathan - I awoke this morning thinking about this "opportunity". Boy, I'd really like to do it. But, my own advice and experience tells me this is not what I should do. With the Super Bee and '50 Chevy I have plenty of projects already. And I really need to focus on getting Dad's truck further along and Big Blue more usable. So, I'm going to pass. Reluctantly.

A wise man once said "A good man always knows his limitations.” And I'm certainly starting to realize my limitations. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Cory - I have a new trailer and a truck that has proven it'll tow quite well. But a 2000 mile round trip is gonna double the price of that Bronco. So now it isn't the screaming deal it appeared to be. And, as Jonathan suggested, it would be a huge distraction at a time when I don't need more distractions.

But, like you, I'll keep looking. :nabble_smiley_evil:

It’s baaaaack....

.....and he increased the price 50% or else it’s been flipped. Text reads like it’s the same seller though, same pics... and still says “need it gone” and “open to offers”.

https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/d/parks-1986-ford-bronco/6850512416.html

In my case, I want a diesel conversion. It is going to be a project regardless. (You do see already converted ones but they have a steep novelty fee added into the asking price).

Have you seen this one in your online travels? 8-Lug Cummins Bronco.:nabble_anim_confused:

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/portland-12v-cummins-bronco/6841946636.html

Nope. Have not run into that one... it’s had a lot of work done to it, but isn’t at all what I would build...

I know for really rough wheeling the F250/F350 axles are probably the way to go, but I’d be reluctant to let go of the half ton set up where the IFS actually does something. Also, as good of an engine as the 12V is, the IDI has a lower rpm torque peak and weighs just a bit less. I think it would make a better back country engine than the big C at a more attractive price.