Bullnose Forums

(Not quite Bullnose but...) Rare ‘79 4x4 V drive van

Yes, I've see 4x4 Ford vans for decades, so that complexity isn't necessary. And the un-sprung weight would go through the roof.

As for saving, I wonder how hard the parts would be to find?

Looking through the links, I have some questions...lol.

That V-Drive case looks to be a very simple drive. No big deal there, but, these things would be full time, full speed 4x4, right?

And, based on Steve's comments above about each front diff each having a spool, wouldn't this thing bind up like crazy when turning?

PS: I have no experience with 4x4 locked front diffs, so the above may be a stupid question.

...these things would be full time, full speed 4x4, right?
I don't think so - I think it's a part-time t-case, and I assume 2-speed.
...each front diff each having a spool...
No, that's not what I said. The drives are just built that way. But the diff between the front drivelines is in the t-case, so it still steers like normal. That's described (poorly) in the link that Gary quoted.

...these things would be full time, full speed 4x4, right?
I don't think so - I think it's a part-time t-case, and I assume 2-speed.
...each front diff each having a spool...
No, that's not what I said. The drives are just built that way. But the diff between the front drivelines is in the t-case, so it still steers like normal. That's described (poorly) in the link that Gary quoted.

Yeah, "poorly" is being kind. I think a lawyer wrote what he thought he understood an engineer to say. (I have to be careful as my son, who is a member on here, is a lawyer and I've been accused of being an engineer.)

Anyway, my understanding of it is like Steve's - it is a differential within a transfer case, so apportions power to the front wheels exactly the same as an F-Series front diff does.

I think a lawyer wrote what he thought he understood an engineer to say.
It's actually written like a patent. One of my good friends from high school is an IP attorney, and when he lived in DC, I did a little research on a patent, which involves reading a BUNCH of them. So I think that description was copied from their patent.