Bullnose Forums

(Not quite Bullnose but...) Rare ‘79 4x4 V drive van

Not quite sure what to think of this ad since the pictures seem to be of different ages, and/or different vehicles. It’s an odd V drive 4x4 with three drive shafts and two front differentials. Just thought it was unusual enough to be worth sharing...

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/quartzsite-very-rare-4x-vemco-drive-3/6804664945.html

C9E5854B-0C44-4366-AC42-2E4B7FC383D4.jpeg.0f3ae0b11f085b74a13561a3d451307b.jpeg

0EEBAE04-5602-4131-AF0C-17DC957DB88F.jpeg.6770d33365ac95927757943e415a24c0.jpeg

Wow! V-drive? How does that work? Are there two transfer cases? What powers the right-side driveshaft? There must be a differential in there as well?

Those front diff's look serious. Far heavier than the D44's I'm used to seeing. What are they?

That's an interesting truck!

I’ve seen this V drive thing before, and I believe it has one transfer case with two front outputs on either side of the transmission input, but it’s been a while since I’ve run across it. I have no idea what they were like to use, but it looks horribly expensive and complicated to mske it that way.

Wow! V-drive? How does that work? Are there two transfer cases? What powers the right-side driveshaft? There must be a differential in there as well?

Those front diff's look serious. Far heavier than the D44's I'm used to seeing. What are they?

Found that link with the gory details...

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/axles/the_vemco_v-drive_system/

I’ve seen this V drive thing before, and I believe it has one transfer case with two front outputs on either side of the transmission input, but it’s been a while since I’ve run across it. I have no idea what they were like to use, but it looks horribly expensive and complicated to mske it that way.

Here's the scoop on VEMCO.

A low vehicle profile is obtained in a front wheel drive system by providing a V-drive axle center section at the rear of a transmission with a pair of forwardly extending V-shaped output or drive shafts. The output shafts are adapted to drive a pair of angled forwardly extending propeller shafts disposed on opposite sides of the center section so that drive can be transmitted to separate gear units located at each front wheel for individually driving the same. Equalization of power between the front wheels is accomplished by means of a conventional bevel gear differential located in one of the output shafts with drive to the differential being through a pinion gear keyed to an adapter sleeve serving as the axle center section input shaft. The front wheel drive system is easily converted into a four-wheel drive system by merely removing the adapter sleeve and inserting in its place a second differential of the worm gear type. By this arrangement input drive is then transmitted to the second differential with the drive divided by the worm gearing in such a manner as to have a portion directed to the first differential located on the center section output shaft and portion directed to a rearwardly extending propeller shaft for driving the rear wheels of the vehicle while still maintaining the desired low vehicle profile.

v-drive_5.jpg.3c9520cd9b3979da771de1d1656cc3d7.jpg

Each front drive is essentially a D44IFS chunk with a spool (no differential) and only 1 output.

Contrary to their marketing, the vehicle profile is NOT "low". Neither is the unsprung weight, resulting in a rough ride & poor handling.

But it's certainly interesting & creative! And it's almost worth saving, just as an oddity.

This rare van is actually driving around here:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/839986/thumbnail/duallie350.jpg

Contrary to their marketing, the vehicle profile is NOT "low". Neither is the unsprung weight, resulting in a rough ride & poor handling.

But it's certainly interesting & creative! And it's almost worth saving, just as an oddity.

It certainly IS interesting AND creative! But it is wildly unnecessary...at least in the sense of the advertised (or perceived) benefits of the V-Drive system.

I see the 4x4 Ford vans for sale in Canada on a fairly regular basis, but never one of these animals. The E150 and E250 4x4 vans were popular here up north/west for hauling workers around from tree planting to oil fields, to mining.

Thanks for sharing Jonathan. That thing is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

It certainly IS interesting AND creative! But it is wildly unnecessary...at least in the sense of the advertised (or perceived) benefits of the V-Drive system.

I see the 4x4 Ford vans for sale in Canada on a fairly regular basis, but never one of these animals. The E150 and E250 4x4 vans were popular here up north/west for hauling workers around from tree planting to oil fields, to mining.

Thanks for sharing Jonathan. That thing is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Yes, I've see 4x4 Ford vans for decades, so that complexity isn't necessary. And the un-sprung weight would go through the roof.

As for saving, I wonder how hard the parts would be to find?