Bullnose Forum

In Need of Air Snorkel Vacuum motor

I am looking for a good/operational vacuum motor that operates the flapper valve in the air snorkel on my 300 CI engine in my F 150. My air cleaner is the teardrop style. It doesn't have to be pristine, just working. If anybody has one they are willing to part with please let me know, thanks.

Some years back, when I needed one, I got it from Green Sales in Cincinnati OH. At that time they hade plenty. Not sure about now. You might check with them.

I'm going to my pain clinic doctor Tuesday and I go by a salvage yard on the way there and may check there and see if I can get a complete air cleaner snorkel there. Rock Auto shows two different ones on their site. I wonder if they are interchangeable with each other?

I'm going to my pain clinic doctor Tuesday and I go by a salvage yard on the way there and may check there and see if I can get a complete air cleaner snorkel there. Rock Auto shows two different ones on their site. I wonder if they are interchangeable with each other?

Depends on your definition of "interchangeable". There are two fasteners that hold most of them on, so in that respect one will fit in place of another. But they are different lengths and have a different departure angle one them to allow them to clear various accessories that differ by engine.

But they are listed here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaner-snorkels.html

Depends on your definition of "interchangeable". There are two fasteners that hold most of them on, so in that respect one will fit in place of another. But they are different lengths and have a different departure angle one them to allow them to clear various accessories that differ by engine.

But they are listed here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaner-snorkels.html

I have two different part numbers for a snorkel vacuum motor in the Rock Auto cart at this time. I wish I knew for sure which one is the correct one for the snorkel on my truck. Maybe I can find one that is identical to what I have. I was hoping somebody might have an extra one or a complete snorkel they could part with.

I have two different part numbers for a snorkel vacuum motor in the Rock Auto cart at this time. I wish I knew for sure which one is the correct one for the snorkel on my truck. Maybe I can find one that is identical to what I have. I was hoping somebody might have an extra one or a complete snorkel they could part with.

What part numbers do you have in your cart? I'll check them out vs the catalog as well as see what else I can find. :nabble_anim_working:

I have found a CX898 and CX682.

I wonder if there is a difference in the length of the link arm or is there some other reason for the different part numbers. There are more part numbers available on ebay but those folks are way out there on their prices. Maybe you can come up with a part number I need to be looking for.

I wonder if there is a difference in the length of the link arm or is there some other reason for the different part numbers. There are more part numbers available on ebay but those folks are way out there on their prices. Maybe you can come up with a part number I need to be looking for.

I wondered why I didn't have those vacuum motors listed on a page, and now I know - the MPC doesn't list them separately for each application. Instead they are buried in the Calibration Parts List for each application.

To explain further, here's a small portion of the listings for 1981 F100's and F150's. I've highlighted the 4 different calibration codes that it looks like they might apply to your truck. (But you can nail it spot-on if you can find the calibration code, as explained here: Specifications/Calibration Codes.)

1981_Header.thumb.jpg.818b97ec3ec69ccd012a2f3f538e75b8.jpg1980_4.thumb.jpg.ee85004ba72a1076fca956eb70ee25d6.jpg

Now, the question is what those parts lists contain. I've shown all four of the parts lists below, but they all say that you need the same part: D7TZ 9D612-B, which is Motorcraft # CX-120 and "color code brown".

Several other Vacuum Motor assy, (carburetor air cleaner) were used, including: CX-106; D4FZ 9D612-A which doesn't seem to have gotten a Motorcraft #; CX-361 which is color code pink; CX-674; CX-141; E2TZ 9D612-A CX-718; and on and on. But from what I saw it looks to me like the CX-120 was used more than any other, so it should be easy to find.

Calibration_Parts_List_155.thumb.jpg.ce3c7d702bd9b859bd87e501c58a26da.jpgCalibration_Parts_List_156.thumb.jpg.8c4e035c27f6cc824da861112d29ef92.jpg

I wondered why I didn't have those vacuum motors listed on a page, and now I know - the MPC doesn't list them separately for each application. Instead they are buried in the Calibration Parts List for each application.

To explain further, here's a small portion of the listings for 1981 F100's and F150's. I've highlighted the 4 different calibration codes that it looks like they might apply to your truck. (But you can nail it spot-on if you can find the calibration code, as explained here: Specifications/Calibration Codes.)

Now, the question is what those parts lists contain. I've shown all four of the parts lists below, but they all say that you need the same part: D7TZ 9D612-B, which is Motorcraft # CX-120 and "color code brown".

Several other Vacuum Motor assy, (carburetor air cleaner) were used, including: CX-106; D4FZ 9D612-A which doesn't seem to have gotten a Motorcraft #; CX-361 which is color code pink; CX-674; CX-141; E2TZ 9D612-A CX-718; and on and on. But from what I saw it looks to me like the CX-120 was used more than any other, so it should be easy to find.

Thanks a bunch! It's great having somebody available that has the knowledge and the resouses that you have. I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with. Perhaps the difference lies in the internal diaphragm and not the linkage arm itself. Therefore I believe any of them that would operate the flapper valve should work for me, I think. The problem mine is giving me is it's not moving my flapper valve to the pre-heated air but the diaphragm is not busted/leaking. It's not giving me any drivability problems though. I only accidentally noticed it wasn't operating the flapper after replacing my alternator belts. Also, I remember the early diaphragms before they started using the CWM'S had an engineered leak designed in to allow the flapper to close off the air filter to the pre-heated air and return to the cooler air once the ACTS gets warm enough.