Bullnose Forums

New Facebook, Pinterest, etc Menu

Any update on this website function Gary? I don’t mind the banner at the bottom of the page so much, but the floating pop up that covers part of any image you “select” while scrolling and browsing is really annoying and smacks of spam. Is there a way to turn that off for individual images? I can see that people sharing links to whole pages of Garagemahal is a great way to get the word out, but the image pop up quite frankly sucks. If I need to see the part of the image that the pop up is covering, I usually scroll past the image, then creep back up to what I want to see... but not too far or the pop up comes back. Sometimes it goes away after a couple seconds but usually it doesn’t. Often I have to resort to saving the image to my phone and then view it in camera roll. Maybe this is just another phone glitch (social media buttons extra large relative to displayed image size?) but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that most of the avid social media users are also on smartphones. This is a huge turn off to using the content because whatever you are looking at is constantly being blocked by the pop up...

I’m guessing that the program is a package deal, and you can’t just get the whole page menu at the bottom without the floating pop up... but if at all possible I would turn that part off. Or see if there is a different program for sharing maybe?

Jon,

What are you using for a phone?

I haven't see this pop-up personally, but I rarely visit the forum on my phone and have never used diagrams and info...

I must go try it now and see if I can find what you're talking about.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon,

I haven't see this pop-up personally, but I rarely visit the forum on my phone and have never used diagrams and info...

Never mind...

I tried it on my iPhone and I see what you're talking about.

Jon,

Cory, I am using a iPhone X.

I, too, see what you are talking about. :nabble_smiley_argh:

But I'm out and about today so will have to wait to see what I can do about it later today/tomorrow.

Sorry. :nabble_smiley_blush:

No apologies needed Gary. I think that promoting this site on social media is a great idea, because that seems to be where all the activity is at these days and this site could help so many people if they only knew about it...

At first I thought the pop ups were just a little annoying, but the more I tried to look stuff up on the site the more it bothered me. It is SO persistent and NO way to dismiss or get rid of it. At some point it just feels like malware promoting social media... and I know you have gone out of your way to avoid advertising that interferes with the user experience. It may be a necessary evil but I thought it should at least be weighed with the benefits we are seeing.

No apologies needed Gary. I think that promoting this site on social media is a great idea, because that seems to be where all the activity is at these days and this site could help so many people if they only knew about it...

At first I thought the pop ups were just a little annoying, but the more I tried to look stuff up on the site the more it bothered me. It is SO persistent and NO way to dismiss or get rid of it. At some point it just feels like malware promoting social media... and I know you have gone out of your way to avoid advertising that interferes with the user experience. It may be a necessary evil but I thought it should at least be weighed with the benefits we are seeing.

Jonathan, and all others - I can't find all that many controls on the package, but I've made a change that may help. Now the buttons seem to disappear in ~5 seconds from when you stop scrolling. At least on my iPhone X. But try it for yourself, please, and let me know if that is better and, if so, is it acceptable.

Meanwhile I'm still researching the issue. Perhaps I can make more tweaks. But, in the end I want it to be easy to use for us, and if it means we take the buttons off then so be it.

Jonathan, and all others - I can't find all that many controls on the package, but I've made a change that may help. Now the buttons seem to disappear in ~5 seconds from when you stop scrolling. At least on my iPhone X. But try it for yourself, please, and let me know if that is better and, if so, is it acceptable.

Meanwhile I'm still researching the issue. Perhaps I can make more tweaks. But, in the end I want it to be easy to use for us, and if it means we take the buttons off then so be it.

Gary, it is an improvement but it would be nice if they disappeared sooner. You have to know that it will happen and be patient. If you scroll, zoom, or touch the image it comes right back. On a page with multiple snipets or page scans it’s still pretty annoying but at least it will go away eventually unlike before...

Gary, it is an improvement but it would be nice if they disappeared sooner. You have to know that it will happen and be patient. If you scroll, zoom, or touch the image it comes right back. On a page with multiple snipets or page scans it’s still pretty annoying but at least it will go away eventually unlike before...

I think I've turn off "image sharing". Let's see what that does. We can toggle it back on and try other options if we want. Let me know, please.

I think I've turn off "image sharing". Let's see what that does. We can toggle it back on and try other options if we want. Let me know, please.

I like this much better Gary. The menu bar to share the page is still there but the pop ups over the images are gone. It would be nice if image sharing could be a right click or press and hold option for mobile users, but unless you think there was a lot of individual picture sharing going on I think I’d leave it.

I like this much better Gary. The menu bar to share the page is still there but the pop ups over the images are gone. It would be nice if image sharing could be a right click or press and hold option for mobile users, but unless you think there was a lot of individual picture sharing going on I think I’d leave it.

I don't think there was a lot of image sharing going on, but I can't tell that directly from the Sumo reports. However, I can see the total number of shares and by checking on some of the popular pages it looks like they shared the page itself instead of the image.

So let's leave it this way. Thanks for speaking up. :nabble_smiley_good: