Bullnose Forums

New Facebook, Pinterest, etc Menu

Smart Refrigerators and smart TV's listening to you, seeing you, Your laptop sending unwanted ads of items related to a search you did... ect
I'm not paranoid - just ANNOYED :nabble_smiley_uh: that they can detect what we're talking about & Googling to present ads to us, but they can't detect when I post "I HATE SOCIAL MEDIA" and not show themselves on any of my devices. :nabble_smiley_happy:

If it would take you (Gary) more than a few seconds, IGNORE THIS: but if it's easy for you to set up, I'd like to be able to go in my profile/settings (whatever) & uncheck "show social media buttons". I'll never use them whether I can see them or not, but it's no big deal if I do see them.

When I want to encourage someone to visit this site, I post or e-mail a clickable link (and I have done that many times).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, oddly enough, is 250 shares we wouldn't have had w/o those buttons. And that's just in 24 hours and a few of the pages I checked. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary,

Just to play devil's advocate here, according to some of the stuff I have been reading and listening to lately, one should consider at least 50% (and probably more) of likes and shares to be done by bots, and not real people. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it is quickly becoming the defacto standard (ugly truth). The number could be 90%...it really is kind of unknown.

Now, in the case of sharing and liking a forum like this, with no product advertising involved, I would like to think that the activity would be more real than fake, but that's just my 2 cents worth on the topic.

I'm neutral on the share buttons. I won't be using them, but I don't dislike them in any way. I am on Facebook, almost entirely just to follow a half a dozen Ford/Bullnose groups, but my social activity on there is minimal.

I see you sharing and linking info on the FB pages Gary, and that seems to be a BIG driver of new Garagemahal traffic....at least that is my perception.

That, oddly enough, is 250 shares we wouldn't have had w/o those buttons. And that's just in 24 hours and a few of the pages I checked. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary,

Just to play devil's advocate here, according to some of the stuff I have been reading and listening to lately, one should consider at least 50% (and probably more) of likes and shares to be done by bots, and not real people. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it is quickly becoming the defacto standard (ugly truth). The number could be 90%...it really is kind of unknown.

Now, in the case of sharing and liking a forum like this, with no product advertising involved, I would like to think that the activity would be more real than fake, but that's just my 2 cents worth on the topic.

I'm neutral on the share buttons. I won't be using them, but I don't dislike them in any way. I am on Facebook, almost entirely just to follow a half a dozen Ford/Bullnose groups, but my social activity on there is minimal.

I see you sharing and linking info on the FB pages Gary, and that seems to be a BIG driver of new Garagemahal traffic....at least that is my perception.

Steve - I'll look, again, but I don't see any user-configurable settings for the buttons. Sorry.

As for them not detecting "I HATE SOCIAL MEDIA", they can. But just don't care to do so. Everything we type on this forum will eventually be "findable" via a Google/Bing/Duckduckgo/etc search. So even w/o the buttons we are wide open. However, we do not have advertising and my pledge is that we won't. It costs me a bit annually to have the site, the URL, the tools, etc. But it isn't that much and it is my hobby. And my wife and kids know that it is my wish that the site remain, and that it remain w/o adverts.

Cory - That's an awful thought. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, let's see what changes there have been in the "shares" overnight, with the second #, the one in bold, being this morning's:

Bullnose FAQ's: 44 44

Calibration Info & Part #'s: 43 43

Electrical/Alternators: 59 59

Engines/385 Series: 38 38

Interchange/Air Conditioning: 17 24

Specifications/Towing: 2 2

TSB's/TSB Index: 29 29

Year-To-Year Differences: 18 18

So, the only change was Interchange/Air Conditioning. That suggests that maybe what we are seeing is from people, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

But, contrast what is now a count of 257 shares, and that just on the pages I've found, with this report from Sumo, which shows that in the two days those buttons have been on we've had 17 shares. And you can see the pages shared down below, which doesn't correspond with what is shown on the pages themselves. :nabble_anim_confused:

Sumo_Social_01032019.thumb.jpg.ecfde093a5c1df3b3e275e1c39837186.jpg

Steve - I'll look, again, but I don't see any user-configurable settings for the buttons. Sorry.

As for them not detecting "I HATE SOCIAL MEDIA", they can. But just don't care to do so. Everything we type on this forum will eventually be "findable" via a Google/Bing/Duckduckgo/etc search. So even w/o the buttons we are wide open. However, we do not have advertising and my pledge is that we won't. It costs me a bit annually to have the site, the URL, the tools, etc. But it isn't that much and it is my hobby. And my wife and kids know that it is my wish that the site remain, and that it remain w/o adverts.

Cory - That's an awful thought. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, let's see what changes there have been in the "shares" overnight, with the second #, the one in bold, being this morning's:

Interchange/Air Conditioning: 17 24

So, the only change was Interchange/Air Conditioning. That suggests that maybe what we are seeing is from people, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

But, contrast what is now a count of 257 shares, and that just on the pages I've found, with this report from Sumo, which shows that in the two days those buttons have been on we've had 17 shares. And you can see the pages shared down below, which doesn't correspond with what is shown on the pages themselves. :nabble_anim_confused:

Cory - I forgot: Facebook sharing is a big driver for people finding the site, and this forum. When I've shared some juicy/interesting info on the several FB pages I'm part of I've seen spikes in the traffic to the site. So there's an interest and need in/for the documentation. They just don't know it is there.

One of the FB pages had 25K members last summer, so I shudder to think what it has now. And the others have lots of members as well. So the audience is huge. We just need to get the word out to help them help themselves.

Cory - I forgot: Facebook sharing is a big driver for people finding the site, and this forum. When I've shared some juicy/interesting info on the several FB pages I'm part of I've seen spikes in the traffic to the site. So there's an interest and need in/for the documentation. They just don't know it is there.

One of the FB pages had 25K members last summer, so I shudder to think what it has now. And the others have lots of members as well. So the audience is huge. We just need to get the word out to help them help themselves.

It's also nice having the little blue arrows under the links to hide it.

I should have said I was on a site that had a button to click, under the links, the links would auto hide and it seemed like every time I went to hit that button the links would pop up and send me to FB, twitter or whatever. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Can't remember which site, guess I haven't been back!

It's also nice having the little blue arrows under the links to hide it.

I should have said I was on a site that had a button to click, under the links, the links would auto hide and it seemed like every time I went to hit that button the links would pop up and send me to FB, twitter or whatever. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Can't remember which site, guess I haven't been back!

Yes, the blue arrows are nice.

Time for an update, with this evening's data in bold:

Bullnose FAQ's: 44 44 44

Calibration Info & Part #'s: 43 43 43

Electrical/Alternators: 59 59 59

Engines/385 Series: 38 38 38

Interchange/Air Conditioning: 17 24 35

Specifications/Towing: 2 2 2

TSB's/TSB Index: 29 29 29

Year-To-Year Differences: 18 18 18

So, why is it that the Air Conditioning Interchange page is the only one of these that is counting up? In fact, it and the Window Lift Motor Interchange pages are the only two interchange pages with any likes. :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, the blue arrows are nice.
That's effectively what I was asking for. :nabble_smiley_good: But they don't seem to "remember" when I visit the site again that I turned them off. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Sorry, I didn't realize that's what you were looking for. And probably didn't even know that feature existed at that point in time.

I've looked in the setup and can't find anything that tells Sumo to remember you such that turning them off keeps them off. That's probably in the Pro version. :nabble_smiley_cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't realize that's what you were looking for. And probably didn't even know that feature existed at that point in time.

I've looked in the setup and can't find anything that tells Sumo to remember you such that turning them off keeps them off. That's probably in the Pro version. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, here we are 13 days after implementing the "share/like" buttons. How are they working for y'all? Hopefully they aren't too intrusive.

And, let's see how the numbers have changed in that time. Here are the pages on which I was reporting, and the first number is what the count was the first day and the second number is today. (Note that the count doesn't usually come up until I refresh a page, and I don't understand why that is.)

Interchange/Air Conditioning: 17 37

Hmmm, only one page changed. That seems strange.

But today I put up that '83 Bronco chase car. And in the first 2 hours there were 29 likes/shares. I don't know if it was from the Facebookers where I shared it, or you lot. Did any of you "like" it by pushing a button?

• 1 month later...

Well, here we are 13 days after implementing the "share/like" buttons. How are they working for y'all? Hopefully they aren't too intrusive.

And, let's see how the numbers have changed in that time. Here are the pages on which I was reporting, and the first number is what the count was the first day and the second number is today. (Note that the count doesn't usually come up until I refresh a page, and I don't understand why that is.)

Interchange/Air Conditioning: 17 37

Hmmm, only one page changed. That seems strange.

But today I put up that '83 Bronco chase car. And in the first 2 hours there were 29 likes/shares. I don't know if it was from the Facebookers where I shared it, or you lot. Did any of you "like" it by pushing a button?

Any update on this website function Gary? I don’t mind the banner at the bottom of the page so much, but the floating pop up that covers part of any image you “select” while scrolling and browsing is really annoying and smacks of spam. Is there a way to turn that off for individual images? I can see that people sharing links to whole pages of Garagemahal is a great way to get the word out, but the image pop up quite frankly sucks. If I need to see the part of the image that the pop up is covering, I usually scroll past the image, then creep back up to what I want to see... but not too far or the pop up comes back. Sometimes it goes away after a couple seconds but usually it doesn’t. Often I have to resort to saving the image to my phone and then view it in camera roll. Maybe this is just another phone glitch (social media buttons extra large relative to displayed image size?) but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that most of the avid social media users are also on smartphones. This is a huge turn off to using the content because whatever you are looking at is constantly being blocked by the pop up...

6DF0F60F-A32B-4334-9DD5-4E782D3F2046.thumb.jpeg.fd31fff1c90d0746be232dde744b0061.jpeg

I’m guessing that the program is a package deal, and you can’t just get the whole page menu at the bottom without the floating pop up... but if at all possible I would turn that part off. Or see if there is a different program for sharing maybe?