Bullnose Forums

Fuel cap for 7.5L only?

I grant that it says E4TZ 9030-B and "7.5L Only", but it isn't in the '94 version of the MPC.

If you look though the 1980-86 parts list does show a different cap for the 460, the E4 PN was obviously replaced with a different PN (E7UZ) in 1987. I don't remember exactly what the difference is, but I do remember trying to find locking caps for Darth and they were not available except possibly from Ford.

If you look though the 1980-86 parts list does show a different cap for the 460, the E4 PN was obviously replaced with a different PN (E7UZ) in 1987. I don't remember exactly what the difference is, but I do remember trying to find locking caps for Darth and they were not available except possibly from Ford.

I don't doubt you, Bill. And I could probably prove it by climbing the microfiche tower, but I'll just take your word for it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I don't doubt you, Bill. And I could probably prove it by climbing the microfiche tower, but I'll just take your word for it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

It may have to do with the evaporative system, the 460s even the 1996 systems are different from the smaller engines. They are not a closed system even then, there are still two vent hoses at the tanks, one goes into the evaporative system, the other is open with just a hose with a vent cap.

It may have to do with the evaporative system, the 460s even the 1996 systems are different from the smaller engines. They are not a closed system even then, there are still two vent hoses at the tanks, one goes into the evaporative system, the other is open with just a hose with a vent cap.

I think it's due to the volume of gas &/or air that a big V8 can suck out of a tank, compared to the smaller engines. The 5.8L uses the same venting you just described - look at the lower Left of this:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/283481/thumbnail/fuel-tank-bronco.jpg

So I think the 7.5L-specific cap must have a larger vent to make sure the engine doesn't suck the tank flat (which I've seen pics of, though not by a 7.5L).

I think it's due to the volume of gas &/or air that a big V8 can suck out of a tank, compared to the smaller engines. The 5.8L uses the same venting you just described - look at the lower Left of this:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/283481/thumbnail/fuel-tank-bronco.jpg

So I think the 7.5L-specific cap must have a larger vent to make sure the engine doesn't suck the tank flat (which I've seen pics of, though not by a 7.5L).

You may be correct Steve, but I have seen 5.8L engines that get the same or worse mileage that I get with the 7.5L.

• 6 months later...

You may be correct Steve, but I have seen 5.8L engines that get the same or worse mileage that I get with the 7.5L.

Little confused. What am I missing here?

So according to that screenshot, E7UZ-9030-B is applicable to 80-86 460's correct?

But looking at a photo of that cap taken from ebay:

gas_cap.jpg.a2a7df8abd015098b40bc0f8e37befe6.jpg

It has two extra ears that look even with the normal retaining tabs. My filler necks (86 460) only have two slots so how would this work?

Update: I should have looked closer. The retaining tabs on the E7 aren't the same as the E4 like I thought. They do appear to be higher so I take it this gas cap would be a two step process. First the flat ears, rotate a little, then the retaining tabs, then rotate to close? Wonder why the change.

E4:

IMG_20190822_210007.thumb.jpg.c4a7337e7d1154be9c1000e6be4e7e8d.jpg

Little confused. What am I missing here?

So according to that screenshot, E7UZ-9030-B is applicable to 80-86 460's correct?

But looking at a photo of that cap taken from ebay:

It has two extra ears that look even with the normal retaining tabs. My filler necks (86 460) only have two slots so how would this work?

Update: I should have looked closer. The retaining tabs on the E7 aren't the same as the E4 like I thought. They do appear to be higher so I take it this gas cap would be a two step process. First the flat ears, rotate a little, then the retaining tabs, then rotate to close? Wonder why the change.

E4:

It may be for when you are removing it so it can't be blown out by pressure. My front tank would actually dribble fuel in hot weather unless I used it first, the exhaust heat, even with the extra 35" between the exhaust and tank would expand the fuel enough to force it out the cap. The original evaporative system plumbing was a 3/16" line, the 1990 system used a 3/8" line to the dual canisters.