Bullnose Forums

1985 F350 460 vs 1989 E350 460 engine

khaitan

I just got a call from Prashant. He's dropped the ZF5 off in MN to be rebuilt, and is now 100 miles west of KC headed to Salina, KS to pick up the truck. The hope is that the truck will run long enough to get it on the trailer. Then he'll head south and hopes to drop by here tomorrow on his way back to GA.

Here's the trailer he's using, which is rather tall so he's going to have a great deal of wind drag with that F350 sitting on it. But, not to worry - note what he's towing it with. And, check out the mother-in-law seat.

:nabble_smiley_cool:

Prashant made it here today, and plans to be in Atlanta in the morning for a meeting. So, apparently he's driving most of the night. Anyway, here are a few pics to prove he was here.

Prashant_and_Gary.thumb.jpg.f534a1dcb47a9b9ed2d6f8bca2b7aac2.jpg

Prashants_Truck_and_Trailer_-_Side.thumb.jpg.88ff4fa556012dbf5a0081cf877a5bd4.jpg

Prashants_Truck_and_Trailer_-_Headon.thumb.jpg.351a138357e0083b2d9f77e78359a576.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's lucky that dog won't drop it's transmission before he gets there.

For a number of reasons he is taking it easy, driving about 60 MPH. That should help the tranny. But, it is obvious that truck doesn't have a tow package on it. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Also, he's getting 9 MPG at 60 MPH with that Hemi. We got the same pulling Big Blue and LOTS of parts at 75 MPG w/my Ecoboost. :nabble_smiley_grin:

For a number of reasons he is taking it easy, driving about 60 MPH. That should help the tranny. But, it is obvious that truck doesn't have a tow package on it. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Also, he's getting 9 MPG at 60 MPH with that Hemi. We got the same pulling Big Blue and LOTS of parts at 75 MPG w/my Ecoboost. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Damn, I used to get that towing with Darth at 65-70 mph.

Damn, I used to get that towing with Darth at 65-70 mph.

I'll put my 3.5L EB up against a Hemi in a Ram pickup any day and under any condition. Acceleration, towing, or MPG. In fact, the only place the Hemi wins is in sound - the little EB just doesn't sound cool.

Darth might be a similar story, although I suspect Darth would get better MPG than the Hemi under loaded conditions. But think about how much more solid Darth would be as a tow vehicle than the Ram. The Ram is a light 1/2 ton with coil springs in the rear, no trailer brake controller, probably no serious tranny cooler, and a high axle ratio. :nabble_smiley_scared:

I'll put my 3.5L EB up against a Hemi in a Ram pickup any day and under any condition. Acceleration, towing, or MPG. In fact, the only place the Hemi wins is in sound - the little EB just doesn't sound cool.

Darth might be a similar story, although I suspect Darth would get better MPG than the Hemi under loaded conditions. But think about how much more solid Darth would be as a tow vehicle than the Ram. The Ram is a light 1/2 ton with coil springs in the rear, no trailer brake controller, probably no serious tranny cooler, and a high axle ratio. :nabble_smiley_scared:

He has no brake controller towing that heavy trailer that far???????????????? He will need brakes as soon as he "makes" it home, wow. I've towed a small auto trailer with no brakes . . for a couple hours. I can't imagine going that far, with no brakes on a trailer that heavy.

He has no brake controller towing that heavy trailer that far???????????????? He will need brakes as soon as he "makes" it home, wow. I've towed a small auto trailer with no brakes . . for a couple hours. I can't imagine going that far, with no brakes on a trailer that heavy.

Yup. Just looked at the Ram chart. Assuming that truck has 3.21 gears, which are the standard gears, it is rated to tow 6,870 lbs. My 2015 F150 is rated to tow about 5000 lbs more than that. But even if it had the tow package and 3.92 gears it would still be 1000 lbs less than mine.

Ha ha yes Pete. I was nervous but made it with no problem. It was rental truck so didn't care. I just had to pump the brake Patel few times to make a hard stop. 😊

Some states it is illegal . .possibly some you passed through :) Good thing there were no problems.

In Minnesota you need trailer brakes for trailers over 3000 lbs (or any trailer that outweighs the towing vehicle, even if it's under 3000 lbs). I doubt that about 8000 lbs is legal without trailer brakes in many states at all.