Bullnose Forums

Looking For A New Set of Tires - White Letters

LARIAT 85

I am going to need a new set of tires for my truck this year. I REALLY like the white-letter Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires my truck has now, but Firestone stopped making this style a few years ago.

I like the classic BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires, but I have BF Goodrich All-Terrain white-letter tires on my Jeep Wrangler, and would like something with a different look.

White letter tires are hard to find, apparently. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lariat,

What size rubber are you running now? 15" selections aren't what they used to be.:nabble_smiley_hurt:

I'm running Cooper Cobras 275/60/15 on 15x8 Cragar Soft-8 black steelies. I believe they also make them in 245/60/15 if that's what you're running?

IMG_5390_(Medium).jpg.386d69fafb672fb0d034c1f112902f9e.jpg

I was specifically looking for the 275/60/15 RWL tires, and if I recall correctly, I basically only had three options. BFG T/A's, Cooper Cobras, or Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST. There will be more options in other sizes, but these were the three RWL 60 series tires I had to pick from;).

Lariat,

What size rubber are you running now? 15" selections aren't what they used to be.:nabble_smiley_hurt:

I'm running Cooper Cobras 275/60/15 on 15x8 Cragar Soft-8 black steelies. I believe they also make them in 245/60/15 if that's what you're running?

I was specifically looking for the 275/60/15 RWL tires, and if I recall correctly, I basically only had three options. BFG T/A's, Cooper Cobras, or Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST. There will be more options in other sizes, but these were the three RWL 60 series tires I had to pick from;).

Say, those tires look good on your truck, Rembrant. And might I add that your truck looks GREAT! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's a WIDE tire you have. What size wheel do you have? I am curious: why didn't you go for the BFG tires? Everyone seems to really like that tire.

I currently have 255/70/15. This size works well on my 8" wheel, and I would like to get new tires in this same size.

I currently have 255/70/15. This size works well on my 8" wheel, and I would like to get new tires in this same size.

Oh wow...I don't think I even knew that sized existed. Interesting. I was wondering what size tires you were running. I could tell that they were "fatter" than stock 235/75/15's, but I was pretty sure they were different than mine.

I'm also a big fan of the old classic raised white letter tires, but wanted something different than the BFG T/A's.

That's a WIDE tire you have. What size wheel do you have? I am curious: why didn't you go for the BFG tires? Everyone seems to really like that tire.

Funny, it was advertising at work Lariat...lol. I was watching a lot of Roadkill episodes, and at the time, they were putting white lettered Cooper Cobras on everything (They were a show sponsor of course). Thought I'd give 'em a try.

Oh wow...I don't think I even knew that sized existed. Interesting. I was wondering what size tires you were running. I could tell that they were "fatter" than stock 235/75/15's, but I was pretty sure they were different than mine.

I'm also a big fan of the old classic raised white letter tires, but wanted something different than the BFG T/A's.

That tire size was the idea of my local tire shop. About 10 years ago, I went in specifically to get the tires that you see in my pictures, but in the stock size. The stock size was 235/75/15, but I was told they were getting hard to find in that size with white letters. The shop recommended 255/70/15, which is a hair taller but a bit wider. (But not as wide as yours!) I like the proportions, and they are available in the BFG and the Cooper Cobra's you have. I don't think I care for the look of the Mickey Thompson tires.

I REALLY like the way the white letter tires look on your truck. Any complaints or regrets on your tire selection?

I don't think I care for the look of the Mickey Thompson tires.

I REALLY like the way your tires look. Any complaints or regrets?

Yeah, I was the same on the Mickey Thompsons. They're OK, but they're weren't my first choice. When I was looking around, I was finding quite a few pics of trucks with the Cooper Cobras, and I liked the letters, and the tread pattern. Like this one below...

20160222_191124_8afdb6ba89495559996f95d442cf2965889adff8.jpg.7591967c30c3d29711791615769db50c.jpg

I have no complaints at all. I've put a little over 3000 miles on them, and they're wearing perfectly even. I was lucky in the sense that they 275/60's just happen to be the exact same OD as the 215/75/15 stock tires that were on my truck, so my speedo is still bang on.

I don't think I care for the look of the Mickey Thompson tires.

I REALLY like the way your tires look. Any complaints or regrets?

Yeah, I was the same on the Mickey Thompsons. They're OK, but they're weren't my first choice. When I was looking around, I was finding quite a few pics of trucks with the Cooper Cobras, and I liked the letters, and the tread pattern. Like this one below...

I have no complaints at all. I've put a little over 3000 miles on them, and they're wearing perfectly even. I was lucky in the sense that they 275/60's just happen to be the exact same OD as the 215/75/15 stock tires that were on my truck, so my speedo is still bang on.

I like the style you guys are using. Both are very nice trucks.

I'm glad I can see those Cragars on your flareside. Been thinking of going with Cragar 365 V-5's on my Bronco next time I need tires, and the budget hasn't taken the usual hits! :nabble_smiley_what:

Those Cragars are a good choice too I think.

It's funny, one of the younger guys at the tire shop I use said, and raised white letters in right? I said no, I want them out. He smiles and says no one does that anymore. I said I do.

We both watched them pull our Suburban up when they were done, and he says, man those look good!

I like the style you guys are using. Both are very nice trucks.

I'm glad I can see those Cragars on your flareside. Been thinking of going with Cragar 365 V-5's on my Bronco next time I need tires, and the budget hasn't taken the usual hits! :nabble_smiley_what:

Those Cragars are a good choice too I think.

It's funny, one of the younger guys at the tire shop I use said, and raised white letters in right? I said no, I want them out. He smiles and says no one does that anymore. I said I do.

We both watched them pull our Suburban up when they were done, and he says, man those look good!

Thanks, Grumpin.

I never understood why anyone would buy a tire with white letters, only to turn them in?

That makes no sense at all.

Thanks, Grumpin.

I never understood why anyone would buy a tire with white letters, only to turn them in?

That makes no sense at all.

I looked at Tirerack.com and it looks like the following are available in the 255/70 X 15 size:

BF Goodrich T/A [raised white letter]

Cooper Radial G/T [raised white letter]

General Grabber HTS 60 [outlined white letter]