Bullnose Forums

Project 81 F250

Figured I would take Gary's advice and start my own thread on my 81 ford f250 that i recently picked up. For those who don't know it has a Isuzu 6bd1 that was put in by the previous owner. There a few things that need to be done but i almost have it road worthy since it has been on no-op since 2008! I went to the local pick n pull on Saturday when they had there 40 percent off deal going on. I was able to get the dual battery trays, washer fluid tank, coolant tank, 6.9 radiator core support, diesel cluster, and a dash pad that was in near perfect condition with no cracks! all for under 100 american dollars! haha I have a few other things that I need to get for it but for now I'm happy. I tested fitted that battery tray since i wanted to make sure that it would fit well, everything well be taken out and cleaned up and painted. IMG_0453.jpg.8ffb2aaca1e46cbc87b0e37da2d5a83f.jpgIMG_1581121.thumb.jpg.d4d988f780063909660547049731e532.jpgIMG_2158.jpg.7891583d4ccae7787f1f52eeb3adf3e1.jpgIMG_2159.thumb.jpg.81b6a14b4e1d7404405a6085304c6808.jpgIMG_2160.jpg.be6104d4ae9c0a607f3f05807b6b02c9.jpgIMG_2162.thumb.jpg.7b4b828066b9ad4fb6c1952aebad8007.jpgIMG_2163.jpg.e12f2beec7d97944424741682cbcf0de.jpgIMG_2164.jpg.6ecf83e113110b6ef877805a139c1cdb.jpgIMG_2167.jpg.e0795e0b0148ee38ee99a17a33f54cdc.jpg

Impressive!

Isuzu is an odd choice for repowering, but I like it. Looking forward to see more.

@notenoughtrucks it really is! He did the swap in the mid/late 80s and ran it till 2008 then parked it. Going to slap a turbo on it and see what happens lol

That's a screaming deal for less than $100. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I'm not sure that diesel tach will read correctly on the Isuzu. Jonathan/FordF834 can tell us what the input is for it, but it may not be an industry norm.

Anyway, I too am looking forward to more on this truck.

@Gary, I got lucky. The truck had just got there and I had first picks at it. Might go back for The door panels but they are the newer ones where the the well I’m not sure what they are called but the door lock thingy is by the window. Haha everything was from an 86 I’m not sure if we’ll work either but I mainly wanted it for the diesel fuel only lettering. The cluster that I have right now has a tach also from when it had the 351 but it’s not hooked up either. But hopefully I’ll be able to figure out a way to make it work.

@Gary, I got lucky. The truck had just got there and I had first picks at it. Might go back for The door panels but they are the newer ones where the the well I’m not sure what they are called but the door lock thingy is by the window. Haha everything was from an 86 I’m not sure if we’ll work either but I mainly wanted it for the diesel fuel only lettering. The cluster that I have right now has a tach also from when it had the 351 but it’s not hooked up either. But hopefully I’ll be able to figure out a way to make it work.

If you go back and get the later door panels you should also get the lock mechanism and linkage. The linkage, meaning the rod going up to the knob, is obvious. But the lock mechanism isn't and obvious need. However, with the early mechanism and the lock rod to the knob you'll find that up is Locked and down is Unlocked.

If you go back and get the later door panels you should also get the lock mechanism and linkage. The linkage, meaning the rod going up to the knob, is obvious. But the lock mechanism isn't and obvious need. However, with the early mechanism and the lock rod to the knob you'll find that up is Locked and down is Unlocked.

Thank you for the info! I will be going tomorrow after i get off work to get the door panels and i'll get the other stuff as well. I hid them so hopefully nobody finds them lol I'm also debating on using a dana 60 from my 2000 f2350 or using an 05 dana 60 not sure if i want to put that much work into it at the moment.

Thank you for the info! I will be going tomorrow after i get off work to get the door panels and i'll get the other stuff as well. I hid them so hopefully nobody finds them lol I'm also debating on using a dana 60 from my 2000 f2350 or using an 05 dana 60 not sure if i want to put that much work into it at the moment.

Let us know how it goes. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That's a screaming deal for less than $100. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I'm not sure that diesel tach will read correctly on the Isuzu. Jonathan/FordF834 can tell us what the input is for it, but it may not be an industry norm.

Anyway, I too am looking forward to more on this truck.

Diesel tachs are tricky because there is no standard way to generate the signal. Many aftermarket units measure alternator rotations and correct for the ratio to crankshaft rotations. The 6.9/7.3 uses a sensor to read the injection pump gear teeth. 106 teeth on the gear, so 53 pulses per crankshaft rotation. It is a magnetic pickup similar to an ABS wheel rotation sensor. Medium duty diesel trucks had a similar arrangement for counting flywheel teeth.

To add a tach, you basically have 3 options...

Buy an aftermarket diesel tach and follow their installation instructions.

Run a gas engine tach, and mount a pick-up sensor to read 4 magnets that you glue on to the vibration damper. This will allow you to use a stock gauge.

Run a 6.9 tach with a pick up sensor that will read a ferrous star wheel of your creation that mounts to the crank pulley (or accessory) and generates 53 pulses per crankshaft revolution.

Diesel tachs are tricky because there is no standard way to generate the signal. Many aftermarket units measure alternator rotations and correct for the ratio to crankshaft rotations. The 6.9/7.3 uses a sensor to read the injection pump gear teeth. 106 teeth on the gear, so 53 pulses per crankshaft rotation. It is a magnetic pickup similar to an ABS wheel rotation sensor. Medium duty diesel trucks had a similar arrangement for counting flywheel teeth.

To add a tach, you basically have 3 options...

Buy an aftermarket diesel tach and follow their installation instructions.

Run a gas engine tach, and mount a pick-up sensor to read 4 magnets that you glue on to the vibration damper. This will allow you to use a stock gauge.

Run a 6.9 tach with a pick up sensor that will read a ferrous star wheel of your creation that mounts to the crank pulley (or accessory) and generates 53 pulses per crankshaft revolution.

Thank you for that info Ford F834! I currently have the original cluster that came with that has the tach and just picked a 6.9 cluster with a tach also. I'll do a little more research on them and see what way I want to go with it.