Bullnose Forum

1985 Firewall Relay -- Pics added

donaldb

He hasn't said what engine he has so could it be the choke relay for a 351 4V engine? the 1986 EVTM shows a group of relays in the 5.8L 4V carburetor circuits but isn't clear on their locations.

I think Lebaron nailed it...

If you do a search on choke relay, a couple different old threads pop up, and they're all in reference to a 351 4bbl engine...

Pics of the same relay in this thread below:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1146787-carb-choke-problems-2.html

picture_php_pictureid_95350_f96c39d9ee8a1431979653582e9e3a13ab9ad9d8.jpg.3c18766395fbe8cec863f9b9a0de406d.jpg

If you do a search on choke relay, a couple different old threads pop up, and they're all in reference to a 351 4bbl engine...

Interesting, the factory carb has been replaced with a regular Holley, requiring 12v for the choke. The relay in question I would guess with pretty good confidence is factory since it is using the same color and shape rivet to hold it on as the other one. If it warms up in Missouri today I'll see if I can get the wire colors.

Thanks all who commented.

First, what do those yo-yos on FTE know? :nabble_smiley_evil: Oh wait! I recognize some of them. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, so it is probably the choke relay, although there does seem to be some discrepancy with the wire colors - both in the FTE thread as well as here. Further, the EVTM contradicts itself. The schematic above is from the 1985's page for 5.8L carb circuits in the Electronic Engine Controls section. Note that it says the connection goes to Page 15. The schematic below is from Page 15, and it clearly says only the 4.9L engines have a connection to the carb circuits on the Electronic Engine Control page. All else go directly to the choke. Hmmm, can't be both ways.

But, let's assume that's what it is. Then why is the relay buzzing? I'd say there's a problem with the alternator's stator output. If you look at the schematic you'll see that the stator isn't grounded, and that it relies on the diodes. I think one or more of the diodes are blown.

Alternator_to_Choke_Heater.jpg.b308b62ef1a36217c9bccafe85617d0f.jpg

First, what do those yo-yos on FTE know? :nabble_smiley_evil: Oh wait! I recognize some of them. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, so it is probably the choke relay, although there does seem to be some discrepancy with the wire colors - both in the FTE thread as well as here. Further, the EVTM contradicts itself. The schematic above is from the 1985's page for 5.8L carb circuits in the Electronic Engine Controls section. Note that it says the connection goes to Page 15. The schematic below is from Page 15, and it clearly says only the 4.9L engines have a connection to the carb circuits on the Electronic Engine Control page. All else go directly to the choke. Hmmm, can't be both ways.

But, let's assume that's what it is. Then why is the relay buzzing? I'd say there's a problem with the alternator's stator output. If you look at the schematic you'll see that the stator isn't grounded, and that it relies on the diodes. I think one or more of the diodes are blown.

Gary think you are right about the diodes. Is the diode set replacable on Gen 1 alternators?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

donaldb, photo those wires and connector if you can.

Finally warmed up to get out there and look at it. It is exactly as Gary's wiring diagram shows above. 2 black ground wires, Yellow, gray with with white, and white with black.

Thank you all for the help

Donald