Bullnose Forums

1985 Firewall Relay -- Pics added

donaldb

There is a silver metal housed relay behind the brake booster that has started buzzing. I looked through the wiring diagram but have not been able to find it. Anyone know what the relay controls? While we're at it, what is the black one control also.

Relay2.jpg.6851e2580615bf7b75a3226603a53db1.jpg

Relay1.jpg.e337ed26c6b84b56fbe3cbfe6341ab21.jpg

Thanks

I don't think you have in tank electric pumps, so I would guess the Trailer Lamp Relay.

The trailer light relay shows in an illustration here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option1.html.

Big Blue has the aux battery solenoid, which is the shiny unit in the pic below, as well as the fuel pump relay and the trailer lighting relay, shown to the right of the aux battery solenoid.

Underhood_Wiring_Done_-_with_Angle.thumb.jpg.b42da470ee8516fc8d5fb7f5191ac75d.jpg

Anyone know what the relay controls?
For all electrical devices, ID them by their wire colors. Post pics. The most-important wire (for ID) on a relay is the little one that triggers it to change state (on/off) since that identifies its function.

Pictures added

I suspect the black one is the trailer lights relay. But don't know what the silver one is. We need to know what the wire and connector colors are going to both of those relays. And each wire should have a solid color and a secondary color, but you may have to uncover the wire from in a covering to be able to tell the colors.

I suspect the black one is the trailer lights relay. But don't know what the silver one is. We need to know what the wire and connector colors are going to both of those relays. And each wire should have a solid color and a secondary color, but you may have to uncover the wire from in a covering to be able to tell the colors.

My 1984 FSM only shows two possible relays in that location.

Trailer Lights Relay:

Trailer_Lights_Relay.jpg.e84443f42880e3b069746cf3fefb137b.jpg

Or the Marker Lights Relay, which was supposedly only on the DRW trucks:

Marker_Lamps_Relay.jpg.36aacb82fd4477a5ea1364f7a8be8afb.jpg

DRW_Relay.jpg.f913b183000e197a94bab55680b6f540.jpg

However, that's from my '84 FSM...could be different stuff included in 1985 for sure.

Snagged this picture below from FTE, also from a 1985, and it was clicking, but the guy was trying to diagnose a no start issue, and the clicking silver relay was never identified.

image_e4e061c7bff46d9780dc9a4b9c390f92051ad56d.thumb.jpg.f22d6393cf0df5933625486eaa1794bf.jpg

That's my 2 cents while finishing my morning coffee. Not much help, I know.

My 1984 FSM only shows two possible relays in that location.

Trailer Lights Relay:

Or the Marker Lights Relay, which was supposedly only on the DRW trucks:

However, that's from my '84 FSM...could be different stuff included in 1985 for sure.

Snagged this picture below from FTE, also from a 1985, and it was clicking, but the guy was trying to diagnose a no start issue, and the clicking silver relay was never identified.

That's my 2 cents while finishing my morning coffee. Not much help, I know.

He hasn't said what engine he has so could it be the choke relay for a 351 4V engine? the 1986 EVTM shows a group of relays in the 5.8L 4V carburetor circuits but isn't clear on their locations.

He hasn't said what engine he has so could it be the choke relay for a 351 4V engine? the 1986 EVTM shows a group of relays in the 5.8L 4V carburetor circuits but isn't clear on their locations.

I had wondered that as well, but there appears to clearly be a black/yellow wire in the pic and I can't find it in any of the EVTM illustrations I've looked at. Here's the carb ones:

1985_Carb_Relays.thumb.jpg.90be29f202926a36ca650cb04b3435eb.jpg