Bullnose Forums

Things that aren't what they are supposed to be . . . .

PetesPonies

When I bought my '82 Flareside, I believed it would be Wimbledon White. That was the only color in the '82 brochure, that was white and the truck was white :) You'd think, easy peasy. I have sprayed a lot of Wimbledon White in my life. I would say, definitely the color I have sprayed the most. I can spot it by smell :) When I got my truck, it was obvious it is not Wimbledon, it is much whiter. My paint code is 9A, should be Wimbledon, but it is either Polar White or Special White ( sometimes called Pace Car white , it was used on the 64 1/2 Mustang Pace Cars ). My truck is the original color, it is the same white everywhere. All my decals are still in place, etc. I know when something is original paint, because . . . I restore and repaint :) I have run across things that Ford advertised, but never came to fruition. Certainly things more important than a paint color on an '82 truck :) But what else have you found not to be as was advertised on these trucks?

So, what color did the paint turn out to be?

As for what I've found, it depends on what you mean by "advertised". The 1981 literature shows the door locks in both slide and pin versions. But, it shows the turn signals as being amber. However, as shown on the door lock page, the 1981 trucks came with both slide and pin locks, and with both clear and amber turn signals.

So, what color did the paint turn out to be?

As for what I've found, it depends on what you mean by "advertised". The 1981 literature shows the door locks in both slide and pin versions. But, it shows the turn signals as being amber. However, as shown on the door lock page, the 1981 trucks came with both slide and pin locks, and with both clear and amber turn signals.

And that was probably due to parts on hand at assembly plants. I'm not sure which of the two I listed, it is . . .yet. They both are a bright white. Give me a day or two and I'll know for sure.

And that was probably due to parts on hand at assembly plants. I'm not sure which of the two I listed, it is . . .yet. They both are a bright white. Give me a day or two and I'll know for sure.

If I can believe the literature I'm reading, it appears Polar white wasn't used on trucks in 1982 ( however, it was used other years on trucks ). So it may be the Special White. I'm going to go get a 1/2pt of each. Since the tag is wrong on the truck, who knows which it actually is :)

If I can believe the literature I'm reading, it appears Polar white wasn't used on trucks in 1982 ( however, it was used other years on trucks ). So it may be the Special White. I'm going to go get a 1/2pt of each. Since the tag is wrong on the truck, who knows which it actually is :)

And here you can see it is clearly marked 9A

label.jpg.c5e5afe872452baae9bffad7274cfa23.jpg

And here you can see it is clearly marked 9A

As shown here, 9A is just "white": http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-paint-codes.html.

On the turn signals and door locks, I agree with you - Ford wasn't going to throw anything away. So they appear to have consolidated the clear turn signals into the Twin Cities and Norfolk plants as they were the last to use them. And the slide door locks were consolidated into Kansas City and the Twin Cities plants.

As shown here, 9A is just "white": http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-paint-codes.html.

On the turn signals and door locks, I agree with you - Ford wasn't going to throw anything away. So they appear to have consolidated the clear turn signals into the Twin Cities and Norfolk plants as they were the last to use them. And the slide door locks were consolidated into Kansas City and the Twin Cities plants.

But many places have 9A as Wimbledon . .even the '82 Truck Brochure.

But many places have 9A as Wimbledon . .even the '82 Truck Brochure.

Ford wasn't consistent with much of anything. And the master parts catalog, which is what the snippets on my site are from, has contradictions within itself. So I wasn't trying to make a case or say you are wrong. Or that the brochure is wrong. In fact, I'm not sure what I was saying. :nabble_anim_confused:

Ford wasn't consistent with much of anything. And the master parts catalog, which is what the snippets on my site are from, has contradictions within itself. So I wasn't trying to make a case or say you are wrong. Or that the brochure is wrong. In fact, I'm not sure what I was saying. :nabble_anim_confused:

So here is my spray out of the three possible colors. On the right is Wimbledon, 9A, In the middle is 9D and on the left is 9E. 9E looks to match best. It is what is called Special White and was even used as far back as '64 on the Pace Car. The middle is Herron or Polar or even just White. It was used in the '70s and '80s on about everything. It is definitely more creamy than Special white, but still looks very white compared to Wimbledon. So I think I will take my gas door and have it scanned. No where on the truck shows sign of a repaint, but I know it was done. So maybe the color was changed. Under the grime and weathered paint in the engine compartment, it definitely looks closer to Wimbledon. But door jambs, under the jamb label, interior parts of the door, everywhere else shows no sign of a repaint and it's hard to imagine a truck like this having had the "pull it completely apart" paint job sometime in it's life? Engine paint is usually very thin, gets baked and the colors change, so I'm not sure that is a good basis for deciding. I will look closer around the truck and get the lid scanned as was mentioned.

spray_outs.jpg.550a49439edab52a205e0d33dd90a246.jpg

So here is my spray out of the three possible colors. On the right is Wimbledon, 9A, In the middle is 9D and on the left is 9E. 9E looks to match best. It is what is called Special White and was even used as far back as '64 on the Pace Car. The middle is Herron or Polar or even just White. It was used in the '70s and '80s on about everything. It is definitely more creamy than Special white, but still looks very white compared to Wimbledon. So I think I will take my gas door and have it scanned. No where on the truck shows sign of a repaint, but I know it was done. So maybe the color was changed. Under the grime and weathered paint in the engine compartment, it definitely looks closer to Wimbledon. But door jambs, under the jamb label, interior parts of the door, everywhere else shows no sign of a repaint and it's hard to imagine a truck like this having had the "pull it completely apart" paint job sometime in it's life? Engine paint is usually very thin, gets baked and the colors change, so I'm not sure that is a good basis for deciding. I will look closer around the truck and get the lid scanned as was mentioned.

Here is the gas door . . as you can see, no signs of being painted. Sure it could have been media blasted and painted . . BUT is that what people are/were doing to 1982 base model pickups?? I'm taking it to be scanned . . but the quandary remains.

gas_cap.jpg.9682073853026bc660de522f8a9d2b2f.jpg

gas_cap2.jpg.f5b1540f074948f684d522f1b1767a22.jpg