Bullnose Forums

It’s all about an old school tranny

Johns3524

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had 3.00 R/A gears i wouldnt consider OD at all.
I built my Bronco with '95 4.9L (EFI 300ci), NP435, BW1356, Ford 8.8" 3.08 open, ~32" LT285/75R16. I can set the cruise above 100mph without going over 3500RPM.

Steve - Not to sidetrack things, but how did you hook up the shift lever to the BW1356? Did you use the 1356's lever and cut out the side of the hump?

I built my Bronco with '95 4.9L (EFI 300ci), NP435, BW1356, Ford 8.8" 3.08 open, ~32" LT285/75R16. I can set the cruise above 100mph without going over 3500RPM.

Seems as though you have a great combo. When I’m pulling my boat especially on the “blue-line-highways” through the various mountains of the west, I get along very well with 3.50’s in the back end. In all practicality, a direct r/a is a very good comprimise for a 86 Ford “brick” that I’m driving, especially since I use a 31” tire.

I’m going to talk myself out of OD if I think much about it..

😎

Seems as though you have a great combo. When I’m pulling my boat especially on the “blue-line-highways” through the various mountains of the west, I get along very well with 3.50’s in the back end. In all practicality, a direct r/a is a very good comprimise for a 86 Ford “brick” that I’m driving, especially since I use a 31” tire.

I’m going to talk myself out of OD if I think much about it..

😎

To all whove responded, thank for for your patience. To those of you who have contacted me and are considering making a trans combo available, I'll visit with you about that if you are still interested

but..

I've decided to keep my old school NP435 for now and will probably rebuild a spare so I can swap it sometime in the future while doing some clutch work.

While pulling my boat complete with all of the camping gear, I can pull any 6% grade at about 45 mph now with the current tires and 3.50 gears. This is while being in 4th gear, and it seems happy pulling it. I can do 55-60 comfortably and after all it IS a Bronco so as long as I keep it I'll most likely leave it like it is w/o OD

Happy motoring all..

2205.jpg.b1ccfb0ab829ae663450043b8b95ccfd.jpg

To all whove responded, thank for for your patience. To those of you who have contacted me and are considering making a trans combo available, I'll visit with you about that if you are still interested

but..

I've decided to keep my old school NP435 for now and will probably rebuild a spare so I can swap it sometime in the future while doing some clutch work.

While pulling my boat complete with all of the camping gear, I can pull any 6% grade at about 45 mph now with the current tires and 3.50 gears. This is while being in 4th gear, and it seems happy pulling it. I can do 55-60 comfortably and after all it IS a Bronco so as long as I keep it I'll most likely leave it like it is w/o OD

Happy motoring all..

Sounds like, with some thought and consideration, you've come to the conclusion that what you have is what you need. What a wonderful position to be in! :nabble_smiley_good: