Bullnose Forums

It’s all about an old school tranny

Johns3524

Thanks for the comments on this topic all. I realize Ford's early design of the clutch hasn't been one that many have chosen to praise for mainly wear reasons, and of course the wish for a juice clutch system.

Thanks Gary for your donation of the bushing repair you did on the clutch parts set you sent me. If for any reason you would like to have it back I'd be glad to send it...great work.

Since I plan to keep this system operative as long as I keep this truck and especially if I use a toploader version of trans, I will in time this year modify my clutch parts to utilize a heim bushing system most likely. Nowdays you can buy just about any type of joint parts. I actually had to build a heim tie-rod for my boat when I swapped motors...very cheap....

Anyway, I'm on ther search for a toploader OD trans (preferably cast iron), and the necessary 4WD shift linkage to utilize it.

If any members here feel the need to get rid of any of that old outdated stuff, I'm on the left coast and I can afford shipping....thanks all.

Enjoy what you enjoy..stay bandaid free if at all possible.

I may very well take you up on this. I'll email you and we can discuss details.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments on this topic all. I realize Ford's early design of the clutch hasn't been one that many have chosen to praise for mainly wear reasons, and of course the wish for a juice clutch system.

Thanks Gary for your donation of the bushing repair you did on the clutch parts set you sent me. If for any reason you would like to have it back I'd be glad to send it...great work.

Since I plan to keep this system operative as long as I keep this truck and especially if I use a toploader version of trans, I will in time this year modify my clutch parts to utilize a heim bushing system most likely. Nowdays you can buy just about any type of joint parts. I actually had to build a heim tie-rod for my boat when I swapped motors...very cheap....

Anyway, I'm on ther search for a toploader OD trans (preferably cast iron), and the necessary 4WD shift linkage to utilize it.

If any members here feel the need to get rid of any of that old outdated stuff, I'm on the left coast and I can afford shipping....thanks all.

Enjoy what you enjoy..stay bandaid free if at all possible.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll need it. What I have will be an auto and a manual w/hydraulic linkage. So I'm good.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll need it. What I have will be an auto and a manual w/hydraulic linkage. So I'm good.
Ok Gary, I just wanted to offer.. at this point I have a complete set of manual stuff to use in the future if it’s ever needed.

As I move on I may have a line on some Hd metal bushings that could be used as well.  If I come up with that solution, I’ll let you know.

Good to be tuch...bless you and yours brother..

Ken

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 13, 2019, at 6:44 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

It doesn't sound like what you want, but I put an NV3550 in my '71 Bronco. An Advance Adapter bolted it to my stock bellhousing, so I still have the stock mechanical clutch linkage. I think another adapter would've been needed for the transfer case, but I went with an Atlas that bolted right to the NV3550.

It's been a good choice for me, with a reasonably low 1st gear (4:1) and an overdrive (0.78:1) with three gears in-between. Like I said,it sounds like you have your plan, but I thought I'd just make sure you know of this option.

It doesn't sound like what you want, but I put an NV3550 in my '71 Bronco. An Advance Adapter bolted it to my stock bellhousing, so I still have the stock mechanical clutch linkage. I think another adapter would've been needed for the transfer case, but I went with an Atlas that bolted right to the NV3550.

It's been a good choice for me, with a reasonably low 1st gear (4:1) and an overdrive (0.78:1) with three gears in-between. Like I said,it sounds like you have your plan, but I thought I'd just make sure you know of this option.

I appreciate this info for sure. I’ve thought about the 3550 as well as the bigger one. Part of my reason for the lighter, smaller SMOD version If it can be found is my interest in the toploader trans itself. I’ve owned two in two different e150s.

I Had the big 6 speed NV in my Dodge truck as well.

august_06_trip_009.jpg.7c4c669a75878e0b276b7b912dbb07a7.jpg

Before I pull this NP435 out to do some work, I would like to replace it with a spare something without having the vehicle down for a big changeover.

Also a trans that weighs less than 100 lbs appeals to me as I have limited shop equipment available being retired...

Thanks for your response.

Best wishes

Ken. Aka

John smith

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 13, 2019, at 7:46 PM, Nothing Special [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] wrote:

>

> It doesn't sound like what you want, but I put an NV3550 in my '71 Bronco. An Advance Adapter bolted it to my stock bellhousing, so I still have the stock mechanical clutch linkage. I think another adapter would've been needed for the transfer case, but I went with an Atlas that bolted right to the NV3550.

>

> It's been a good choice for me, with a reasonably low 1st gear (4:1) and an overdrive (0.78:1) with three gears in-between. Like I said,it sounds like you have your plan, but I thought I'd just make sure you know of this option.

> Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks

> 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears

> 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires

> 2015 E-450-based 30' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10

>

>

> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

> http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/It-s-all-about-an-old-school-tranny-tp20381p20538.html

> To unsubscribe from It’s all about an old school tranny, click here.

> NAML

I appreciate this info for sure. I’ve thought about the 3550 as well as the bigger one. Part of my reason for the lighter, smaller SMOD version If it can be found is my interest in the toploader trans itself. I’ve owned two in two different e150s.

I Had the big 6 speed NV in my Dodge truck as well.

Before I pull this NP435 out to do some work, I would like to replace it with a spare something without having the vehicle down for a big changeover.

Also a trans that weighs less than 100 lbs appeals to me as I have limited shop equipment available being retired...

Thanks for your response.

Best wishes

Ken. Aka

John smith

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 13, 2019, at 7:46 PM, Nothing Special [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] wrote:

>

> It doesn't sound like what you want, but I put an NV3550 in my '71 Bronco. An Advance Adapter bolted it to my stock bellhousing, so I still have the stock mechanical clutch linkage. I think another adapter would've been needed for the transfer case, but I went with an Atlas that bolted right to the NV3550.

>

> It's been a good choice for me, with a reasonably low 1st gear (4:1) and an overdrive (0.78:1) with three gears in-between. Like I said,it sounds like you have your plan, but I thought I'd just make sure you know of this option.

> Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks

> 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears

> 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires

> 2015 E-450-based 30' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10

>

>

> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

> http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/It-s-all-about-an-old-school-tranny-tp20381p20538.html

> To unsubscribe from It’s all about an old school tranny, click here.

> NAML

I think your 4-speed OD idea is a good plan. The ZF or M5OD means new driveshafts. The rear shaft on the Bronco is already so short that Ford gave it a double cardan. I could be wrong, but I don’t think there will be any length change going to one of the Tremec’s. As you already noticed, the Bronco’s with the 4 speed OD had the shifters side by side, with the transfer case lever on the right. It will be helpful if you can get the correct tunnel cover and one-piece dual shift boot that goes with that set up. It will also mess up your carpet arrangement. Not that it would weigh into your decision, just something to plan on.

The auxiliary overdrive options like Ranger gear splitter, DNE2 or gear vendors won’t really work in a Bronco. The wheelbase is too short. The GVOD ~can be used on a 4x4 behind the transfer case. The electronic controller has a lockout that prevents it from engaging outside of 2wd, but for a Bronco it’s too long.

You can count me in the crowd that prefers a mechanical linkage clutch. I like the tactile feel of it better, and after fighting leaks on my ‘86 diesel truck’s clutch (and loosing prime when it sat) I’m not a fan. It’s a good idea to carry a spare mechanical linkage clutch rod because I’ve had the ends break off at the bend, but it’s not a hard fix on the side of the road if you have a back up.

I think your 4-speed OD idea is a good plan. The ZF or M5OD means new driveshafts. The rear shaft on the Bronco is already so short that Ford gave it a double cardan. I could be wrong, but I don’t think there will be any length change going to one of the Tremec’s. As you already noticed, the Bronco’s with the 4 speed OD had the shifters side by side, with the transfer case lever on the right. It will be helpful if you can get the correct tunnel cover and one-piece dual shift boot that goes with that set up. It will also mess up your carpet arrangement. Not that it would weigh into your decision, just something to plan on.

great perspective ..thanks for input

I'm in the data gathering stage, and parts for a swap. I want to confer with some people who rebuild various versions of trhe Tremecs including those versions for Jeeps as well. I would love to find an earlier SMOD cast iron version if it was actaully built in 4WD as Blue Oval stated, but I will collect any version that is complete and in good working order that came in a Ford originally.

Eliminating hydraulics for me is a choice of eliminating a parts cource I'm not in control of and prefering not using an integral bell in my install.

I appreciate the input of an extra rod when in the "outback" or extended trips..it doesn't take up much room for sure.

Good day all..

great perspective ..thanks for input

I'm in the data gathering stage, and parts for a swap. I want to confer with some people who rebuild various versions of trhe Tremecs including those versions for Jeeps as well. I would love to find an earlier SMOD cast iron version if it was actaully built in 4WD as Blue Oval stated, but I will collect any version that is complete and in good working order that came in a Ford originally.

Eliminating hydraulics for me is a choice of eliminating a parts cource I'm not in control of and prefering not using an integral bell in my install.

I appreciate the input of an extra rod when in the "outback" or extended trips..it doesn't take up much room for sure.

Good day all..

I don’t get to the junkyards as much as I used to but I will keep my eyes out. I have seen quite a few here in Arizona.

Just out of curiosity, in your quest for a cast iron case... is this because you have heard of case failures? I always assumed the problem spots were bearings and internals.

I know I’ve said it quite a few times but my gearing solution is a fully synchronized diesel ratio T19, 3.00 axle gears, and tall 235/85R16 tires (~31.75” diameter). It shifts very smoothly and the ratios are great for the I6.

Just out of curiosity, in your quest for a cast iron case... is this because you have heard of case failures? I always assumed the problem spots were bearings and internals.

I know I’ve said it quite a few times but my gearing solution is a fully synchronized diesel ratio T19, 3.00 axle gears, and tall 235/85R16 tires (~31.75” diameter). It shifts very smoothly and the ratios are great for the I6.

One of the reasons I have an NP435 I once had the feeling that "real" transmissions were cast iron, and should be shifted manually. I still prefer them mainly for my life experience with cars for many years. Also when I worked for someone else I drove one of these for many miles.

Truck_003.jpg.9a6c21cd4bf0342f5fbffb8e3e9534a0.jpg

winter of "75"

Pipe_Load_Haul_Road_N_of_Yukon_River_near_Old_Man_Camp_winter_75.jpg.1ba22fd07908d6e17ae9ed148b2f578a.jpg

which btw still have a pedal through the floor generally

I am interested in seeing an SROD version all complete with the 4WD trim. One of my vans had a 2WD srod and it shifted great. The little tower worries me a little bit, Ill look at it. The tailshaft housing mounts worry me a little bit, making me want a cast iron version of possible but it may not exist. the weak spot seems to be in the tcase adapter trans mount.

I like your combo with the t19. If I had 3.00 R/A gears i wouldnt consider OD at all. Actually my 3.5 RA is fine and lets me drive in town w/o even downshift in traffic most of the time. The 300 as you know can idle along and then start pulling from idle right on up...lazy actually. My choice is to have a spare trans complete if I can find it. I'm not on fire about it though so wisdom and patience is going to be part of it....

BTW one of my favorite vehicles owned in the past was a 66 intl travelall v-8 with a Clark 5spd OD.