Bullnose Forums

It’s all about an old school tranny

Johns3524

Hi there all, can we look at an older transmission that was also sold and used in the “bullnose” years?

Some call them “rugs” or “smod”, or “srod” , or “tod’s”. These are of course nicknames for the infamous 3 speed w/o drive trannies that Ford used in the 70’s-80’s that we see once in a while in our rigs.

I have owned two different versions myself that came in E150’s I have owned recently. I find myself in want of another one that I can use in my Bronco replacing my np435 for reasons of my own.

I understand the gear spread between 2nd & 3rd, and am aware that they may not be as HD as my 435, but the older I get, the less rough off-roaring I’m doing and an OD is calling once in a while.

I’m aware of the modern aluminum cased options that are out there, but I have chosen to retain a crank lever clutch release so hydraulics are not what I want.

Question,,,have any of you seen any available cast-iron smod trannies for use in our trucks in either 2wd or 4wd?

A discussion of the later “tod” version would be an option if they came in a cast iron case...which I don’t think happened...

Ps: these transmissions are much lighter to handle than this 435 for sure.

Thoughts anyone?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know anything about them. But, I see them from time to time advertised on one of the FB pages I frequent, so will make sure I let you know the next time I see one.

Thanks Gary, it may not be a popular option, but I’m going to make it a point to find one for use this year as we move forward...I want to make a clutch change and when I do, I’d like to put on of these in.

Thanks for keeping me in mind. Have fun with your projects...

Ps

I would also entertain using a modified Borg-Warner solenoid style OD if I could find a heavy duty one...

Cheers all.

Some call them “rugs” or “smod”, or “srod” , or “tod’s”. These are of course nicknames for the infamous 3 speed w/o drive trannies that Ford used in the 70’s-80’s...
I think those are DIFFERENT transmissions - not a bunch of names for 1 trans. Although some may be derived from others in that list. The SROD has a side shifter; most of the others are top-shifted.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1068897/thumbnail/srodexploded.jpg

I have chosen to retain a crank lever clutch release...
WHY??? They wear too fast, and they're sensitive to soft body mounts or broken engine/trans mounts. Mine was so bad at one point (just before I converted to hydraulic) that the truck would jump & bang no matter how smoothly I let out the clutch.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72276/thumbnail/worn2.jpg

...hydraulics are not what I want.
It's a superior system, and will work with many older trans models with separable bellhousings.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72265/thumbnail/bellhousing.jpg

have any of you seen any available cast-iron smod trannies for use in our trucks in either 2wd or 4wd?
Many, including in some later trucks (as factory equipment).
the later “tod” version would be an option if they came in a cast iron case.
I don't think so. The case ribs in these diagrams are characteristic of cast Aluminum, but I haven't necessarily noticed IRL:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/519382/thumbnail/todexploded.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/831130/thumbnail/tod.jpg

these transmissions are much lighter to handle than this 435 for sure.
Is that really a consideration, though? How often do you plan to dismount the transmission? I'd be more concerned with how it shifts, and how durable it is (so it doesn't NEED to be handled as often).

Some call them “rugs” or “smod”, or “srod” , or “tod’s”. These are of course nicknames for the infamous 3 speed w/o drive trannies that Ford used in the 70’s-80’s...
I think those are DIFFERENT transmissions - not a bunch of names for 1 trans. Although some may be derived from others in that list. The SROD has a side shifter; most of the others are top-shifted.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1068897/thumbnail/srodexploded.jpg

I have chosen to retain a crank lever clutch release...
WHY??? They wear too fast, and they're sensitive to soft body mounts or broken engine/trans mounts. Mine was so bad at one point (just before I converted to hydraulic) that the truck would jump & bang no matter how smoothly I let out the clutch.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72276/thumbnail/worn2.jpg

...hydraulics are not what I want.
It's a superior system, and will work with many older trans models with separable bellhousings.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72265/thumbnail/bellhousing.jpg

have any of you seen any available cast-iron smod trannies for use in our trucks in either 2wd or 4wd?
Many, including in some later trucks (as factory equipment).
the later “tod” version would be an option if they came in a cast iron case.
I don't think so. The case ribs in these diagrams are characteristic of cast Aluminum, but I haven't necessarily noticed IRL:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/519382/thumbnail/todexploded.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/831130/thumbnail/tod.jpg

these transmissions are much lighter to handle than this 435 for sure.
Is that really a consideration, though? How often do you plan to dismount the transmission? I'd be more concerned with how it shifts, and how durable it is (so it doesn't NEED to be handled as often).

Hi Steve, I appreciate the input,...its good to get out other opinions. The point’s you’ve brought up while are valid for most, I’ve either already experienced, or have’nt swayed me from my personal reasons for not following the crowd on those points. In my bronco, other than launching my boat I rarely use 4wheel low any longer.

My desire to use OD is really the only thing that would cause me to make a trans change anytime soon. I Enjoyed your post re: the great finish you put on your flywheel at clutch install. That process is one thing I do regret when I changed the engine the last time. I didn’t take the time to surface the flywheel. Someday I’ll do that and at that time if I have a lighter trans I will consider doing the swap.

I think the “tod” version is strictly aluminum and the trans mount is so weak it’s not a choice I would make for anything but 2wd, but I know some Bronco’s came with them.

The earlier “smod” trannies we’re cast iron and to my experience, operated and shifted quite smoothly, a good driving memory.

I get the torque of a 300 when at odd grade angles, the engine may shift drastically...for me those days are over...

A cast iron RUG may not be buildable in 4wd. We”ll keep looking into it...who knows if I get much older, I may end up making this Bronco 2wd...slam it..etc etc...with a 300 six of course

Btw, great blowup of the transmissions..kewl

Anyway..happy wrenching...

Hi Steve, I appreciate the input,...its good to get out other opinions. The point’s you’ve brought up while are valid for most, I’ve either already experienced, or have’nt swayed me from my personal reasons for not following the crowd on those points. In my bronco, other than launching my boat I rarely use 4wheel low any longer.

My desire to use OD is really the only thing that would cause me to make a trans change anytime soon. I Enjoyed your post re: the great finish you put on your flywheel at clutch install. That process is one thing I do regret when I changed the engine the last time. I didn’t take the time to surface the flywheel. Someday I’ll do that and at that time if I have a lighter trans I will consider doing the swap.

I think the “tod” version is strictly aluminum and the trans mount is so weak it’s not a choice I would make for anything but 2wd, but I know some Bronco’s came with them.

The earlier “smod” trannies we’re cast iron and to my experience, operated and shifted quite smoothly, a good driving memory.

I get the torque of a 300 when at odd grade angles, the engine may shift drastically...for me those days are over...

A cast iron RUG may not be buildable in 4wd. We”ll keep looking into it...who knows if I get much older, I may end up making this Bronco 2wd...slam it..etc etc...with a 300 six of course

Btw, great blowup of the transmissions..kewl

Anyway..happy wrenching...

This looks familiar5772CB40-AFB7-4177-B860-6D3DFF143182.jpeg.40da3b91aa8b5ac77a671a8ce027c59d.jpeg

I remember sending some of this to Gary when I converted my 86 to the 82 style. Backwards I know...but servicing for me is preferred.

Ever been in the outback and had someone cut your slave cylinder line? Good luck with that...I looked at a Bronco ll one time that a girl was trying to sell. Her boyfriend had pulled the pin on her slave cylinder and she had to have it towed.

Ask the Harley rider how it feels to have someone cut his new drive belt...on the Alcan.

This looks familiar

I remember sending some of this to Gary when I converted my 86 to the 82 style. Backwards I know...but servicing for me is preferred.

Ever been in the outback and had someone cut your slave cylinder line? Good luck with that...I looked at a Bronco ll one time that a girl was trying to sell. Her boyfriend had pulled the pin on her slave cylinder and she had to have it towed.

Ask the Harley rider how it feels to have someone cut his new drive belt...on the Alcan.

I know that 2-3 shift, I daily my 3 on the Tree, Need to get up to 60kph and it still seem to slow when she is a bit cold

I know that 2-3 shift, I daily my 3 on the Tree, Need to get up to 60kph and it still seem to slow when she is a bit cold

🤙🤙

Love ur truck man...

I looked at an 81 yesterday that originally had dealer a/c. It looked pretty good...still running sharp. Some parts were in rougher shape but still had all the hood lettering.

🤙🤙

Love ur truck man...

I looked at an 81 yesterday that originally had dealer a/c. It looked pretty good...still running sharp. Some parts were in rougher shape but still had all the hood lettering.

One of these could work...for light useB57CBD92-EF62-4D75-8FBD-55CD27E3FF9F.jpeg.54b454f5485adcaa9bf232032c3a22a9.jpeg

TOD..

...a 300 when at odd grade angles, the engine may shift drastically.
Only if the engine/trans mounts are broken. Otherwise, no engine should shift around the frame/engine bay.

But with mechanical clutch linkage, that force is ALWAYS transmitted across the body mounts. So any looseness in them (especially the one in the driver's footwell) results in a sloppy clutch pedal. With hydraulic, that can't happen, regardless of the mounts (body OR engine/trans). And the hydraulic fluid doesn't wear out like the mechanical linkage. :nabble_smiley_wink: It's also a self-adjusting system, so you don't have to crawl under & wrench on it as the clutch & flywheel wear.

Just food for thought... :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't consider vandalism to be likely enough to influence how I build my vehicle, especially considering how I've built my vehicle... It practically screams "If you think anything in this truck is worth your life, then I agree."

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1030715/thumbnail/9328paint10.jpg