Bullnose Forums

Bullnose instrument cluster with diesel tach (Canada)

Thought I'd post this up in case anybody might be searching for one. I don't know how common these are, but I know I don't see them very often. They're asking $200 CDN obo...which right now is about $150 USD.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/calgary/1985-ford-f250-tach-gauge-cluster-diesel/1408235948?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

_59.jpg.202383e39c7dca4b2300d2e22c5bf55a.jpg

Interesting. From what I remember, and I could be wrong, the only differences between that cluster and a gas cluster is that the tach is for a diesel and the "Diesel Fuel Only" printed on the cluster.

Is that correct?

Gary,

Yes, I was pretty sure the cluster itself was the same. I guess the only unique part if the diesel tach with the colored redline area. I thought that particular tach was a bit on the rare side no?

Gary,

Yes, I was pretty sure the cluster itself was the same. I guess the only unique part if the diesel tach with the colored redline area. I thought that particular tach was a bit on the rare side no?

I've not seen many of those tachs, so they are rare as far as I know. But others, like Jonathan, who deal with the diesels more may know better than I.

Gary,

Cory, the diesel tach is a fairly uncommon item. It was only made for two years, and even then only the nicer optioned diesel trucks got them. I wouldn’t say truly “rare”, but there seems to be phases where everyone is looking and the price goes up. Then those guys find tachs and the market dries up... people trying to sell them say they can’t find anyone interested. I have a few now, I admit I am very much loosing track of my mental parts inventory.

It’s not just the red and yellow zones that make these different (although it’s the quickest way to identify if it’s the 6.9 tach). They are electrically very different and can’t be used on a gas engine. If plugged in while running it will stall a gas engine instantly.

Cory, the diesel tach is a fairly uncommon item. It was only made for two years, and even then only the nicer optioned diesel trucks got them. I wouldn’t say truly “rare”, but there seems to be phases where everyone is looking and the price goes up. Then those guys find tachs and the market dries up... people trying to sell them say they can’t find anyone interested. I have a few now, I admit I am very much loosing track of my mental parts inventory.

It’s not just the red and yellow zones that make these different (although it’s the quickest way to identify if it’s the 6.9 tach). They are electrically very different and can’t be used on a gas engine. If plugged in while running it will stall a gas engine instantly.

Ahhh...cool stuff Jonathan! I only posted it in case somebody was searching for one. I come accross this stuff in my random searches for junk!

I believe this is out of an 85?...The guy has some other ads for parts removed from a 1985, so it looks like he's parting the truck out.

Ahhh...cool stuff Jonathan! I only posted it in case somebody was searching for one. I come accross this stuff in my random searches for junk!

I believe this is out of an 85?...The guy has some other ads for parts removed from a 1985, so it looks like he's parting the truck out.

Yes, 85/86 were the two years. A few of the early 85’s are the closed style, late 85 and 86 are open style integral circuit design. The metric odometer with trip is a nice item, but another member already hooked me up in that department 🙂