Bullnose Forums

New Page: Interchange

They're selling for ~$44/pr on eBay now, so keep that in mind before you invest your money in used ones.

...and they're available on Amazon again, so AVS might have made another production run of them.

Well sports fans, I've just made a discovery that may have taken the Interchange page in a slightly different direction. I found that a book that Bill/Numberdummy gave me at the 2017 show has "interchange" info in it. It is a Genuine Parts Distributor catalog, which is a third-party company, and the pics thereof are below.

But, suffice to say that it is MASSIVE! However, it isn't the size but the contents that made me think about the "interchange" page. The catalog shows the years that things like brake rotors, brake boosters, steering gear, fuel pumps, starters, etc interchange.

So, for grins I scanned in the first pages of two sections, the front and rear brakes. So, go see what you think: Interchange/Brakes. And, let me know what you think, please.

Cover:

DSCN0787.thumb.jpg.db0b6710ea58f33f8f5b9d75498d4584.jpg

Side view:

DSCN0789.thumb.jpg.20f693925bccac2ced38f47b667e6f47.jpg

Closeup of the tabs:

DSCN0788.thumb.jpg.8c9a20f1829e1932a5402c526dfb04e7.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sports fans, I've just made a discovery that may have taken the Interchange page in a slightly different direction. I found that a book that Bill/Numberdummy gave me at the 2017 show has "interchange" info in it. It is a Genuine Parts Distributor catalog, which is a third-party company, and the pics thereof are below.

But, suffice to say that it is MASSIVE! However, it isn't the size but the contents that made me think about the "interchange" page. The catalog shows the years that things like brake rotors, brake boosters, steering gear, fuel pumps, starters, etc interchange.

So, for grins I scanned in the first pages of two sections, the front and rear brakes. So, go see what you think: Interchange/Brakes. And, let me know what you think, please.

Cover:

Side view:

Closeup of the tabs:

That is terrific, I did note, in a quick look that the front rotors for the DRW are the same from 1979 up, and the service number is an F4TZ (1994) PN.

That is terrific, I did note, in a quick look that the front rotors for the DRW are the same from 1979 up, and the service number is an F4TZ (1994) PN.

Yes, I think it is terrific, and one of the reasons is that it tells us in one place the answer to "what fits". In your example of the front rotors for Darth, you can get part of the answer from the Driveline/Front Hubs & Rotors page. And while you can tell that the hubs/rotors fit back to '76 because of the D6 code, you don't know how far forward it goes because my MPC only goes to '99.

But this book takes all of the mystery out. It says "76-94", and gives you the latest part number to boot. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, I think it is terrific, and one of the reasons is that it tells us in one place the answer to "what fits". In your example of the front rotors for Darth, you can get part of the answer from the Driveline/Front Hubs & Rotors page. And while you can tell that the hubs/rotors fit back to '76 because of the D6 code, you don't know how far forward it goes because my MPC only goes to '99.

But this book takes all of the mystery out. It says "76-94", and gives you the latest part number to boot. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Holy grail of information!

So, for grins I scanned in the first pages...
How long will it take you to get the rest scanned? :nabble_smiley_whistling: I appreciate that it's a lot of work (I'm doing some, too), but I think you said you had someone else scan the Body Builders' Layout Book, and some of those scans are pretty rough. So I hope you handle this yourself, even though I'm sure it'll take months.

So, for grins I scanned in the first pages...
How long will it take you to get the rest scanned? :nabble_smiley_whistling: I appreciate that it's a lot of work (I'm doing some, too), but I think you said you had someone else scan the Body Builders' Layout Book, and some of those scans are pretty rough. So I hope you handle this yourself, even though I'm sure it'll take months.

Actually, I think this takes priority over the TSB's since these pages can be of benefit to a lot of people and the TSB's are probably of more limited use. And, there are far, FAR fewer of these pages than TSB's. So, I'll put the TSB's aside and get these done first.

The two tabs I did today probably took maybe at most an hour. Each page scans in separately and I have to put them together in one doc and then OCR it. But, that book also has car info as well as trucks up to around 2000, and I don't need to scan all of that.

It looks to me like there are ~35 tabs, so I'm gonna say it'll take 16ish hours to get all of the info we want scanned and on the website. But I'm gonna be working on Dad's truck along the way, so instead of 2 days of 8 hours we are probably talking about it taking a week or two.

However, I'm taking the next week off to play with my granddaughter. We will be with them from tomorrow until next Wednesday, so I'll not be working in the shop. However, I'll check on y'all from time to time. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh, I did have someone else scan the body builders book as it is a large format that I can't scan. But these are 8 1/2 x 11 and I'll be able to handle them easily.

Those are aftermarket - dealer options, or DIY. Not factory.

This thread is a great idea! I would like to add a few things to the list. Everything listed below is used on Lucille:

1980 - 1986 Ford VentShades:

The OEM Ford VentShades are slightly different and better than the aftermarket versions. The aftermarket versions fit under the main window only. The Ford versions fit under the main window and have an extra attachment on the end that secures it to the vent window frame. This makes for a better, tighter fit.

1980 - 1986 Floor vents:

The floor vents used on Bullnoses without air conditioning can easily be swapped into trucks that came with air conditioning. The air conditioned trucks used a block-off plate where the floor vents would otherwise be installed. Simply remove the plastic kick panel and the metal block-off plates that are behind them. Then install the floor vents and matching plastic kick panel. It is a perfect fit without any modifications. (This is the *last* generation of trucks to use floor vents.)

1989 - 1991 Bronco wheels:

Some 4x4 Broncos with the 31" tire option had the familiar wagon wheels that were first introduced on the 1982 Bullnoses but in a wider 15x8 version. (These were the *only* wheels offered by Ford from 1980 - 1996 that were 8" wide.) These fit perfectly on Bullnoses without any modifications.

1989 - 1996 Spare Tire Retainer:

The spare tire retainer used on Bullnoses had a metal handle and a plate to secure the spare tire to the spare tire holder. That can be replaced with a one-piece plastic retainer found on the later trucks. It is a direct fit without any modifications and it won't rust in place like the earlier version.

1994 - 1996 Rear Slider:

The 1994 - 1997 rear slider has an improved latch over the earlier versions. This one has a metal latch that can also be used as a handle without breaking. It will fit Bullnoses perfectly without any modifications. The only difference is the weatherstrip is all black and one piece. I retrofitted the earlier 2- piece weatherstrip with chrome locking strip (for cosmetic purposes) and it fit perfectly without any modifications.

1994 - 1997 Ford Ranger Heater Control Valve:

These were used to stop the flow of hot coolant into the heater core whenever "MAX A/C" was selected. These are unique in that they have a vacuum-operated valve with 4 connections so that coolant flow will continue to loop back to the radiator. These will fit into the heater hoses of Bullnose trucks perfectly.

This thread is a great idea! I would like to add a few things to the list. Everything listed below is used on Lucille:

1980 - 1986 Ford VentShades:

The OEM Ford VentShades are slightly different and better than the aftermarket versions. The aftermarket versions fit under the main window only. The Ford versions fit under the main window and have an extra attachment on the end that secures it to the vent window frame. This makes for a better, tighter fit.

1980 - 1986 Floor vents:

The floor vents used on Bullnoses without air conditioning can easily be swapped into trucks that came with air conditioning. The air conditioned trucks used a block-off plate where the floor vents would otherwise be installed. Simply remove the plastic kick panel and the metal block-off plates that are behind them. Then install the floor vents and matching plastic kick panel. It is a perfect fit without any modifications. (This is the *last* generation of trucks to use floor vents.)

1989 - 1991 Bronco wheels:

Some 4x4 Broncos with the 31" tire option had the familiar wagon wheels that were first introduced on the 1982 Bullnoses but in a wider 15x8 version. (These were the *only* wheels offered by Ford from 1980 - 1996 that were 8" wide.) These fit perfectly on Bullnoses without any modifications.

1989 - 1996 Spare Tire Retainer:

The spare tire retainer used on Bullnoses had a metal handle and a plate to secure the spare tire to the spare tire holder. That can be replaced with a one-piece plastic retainer found on the later trucks. It is a direct fit without any modifications and it won't rust in place like the earlier version.

1994 - 1996 Rear Slider:

The 1994 - 1997 rear slider has an improved latch over the earlier versions. This one has a metal latch that can also be used as a handle without breaking. It will fit Bullnoses perfectly without any modifications. The only difference is the weatherstrip is all black and one piece. I retrofitted the earlier 2- piece weatherstrip with chrome locking strip (for cosmetic purposes) and it fit perfectly without any modifications.

1994 - 1997 Ford Ranger Heater Control Valve:

These were used to stop the flow of hot coolant into the heater core whenever "MAX A/C" was selected. These are unique in that they have a vacuum-operated valve with 4 connections so that coolant flow will continue to loop back to the radiator. These will fit into the heater hoses of Bullnose trucks perfectly.

Rick - Good additions. Thanks. It’ll be a while, like a week, before I can spend any time updating the page, but I plan to add them.

1994 - 1997 Ford Ranger Heater Control Valve...
That application range is incomplete - it was also used on Explorer/Mountaineers in more years.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/985443/thumbnail/heatervalve.jpg

It's superior to 2-nipple valves because it does NOT block flow through the heater nipples on the engine (which may include important sensors); it only blocks off the heater core.

This is the *last* generation of trucks to use floor vents.
But the actual vent duct & blockoff plate in the cowl remained ONLY on the passenger side through '96/7. The '87-96/7 EEC location caused the driver's vent to be deleted. Among other things, the ESOF module (on trucks so equipped) covers the passenger blockoff plate, making retrofitting the right vent to these later trucks difficult.

1994 - 1997 Ford Ranger Heater Control Valve...
That application range is incomplete - it was also used on Explorer/Mountaineers in more years.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/985443/thumbnail/heatervalve.jpg

It's superior to 2-nipple valves because it does NOT block flow through the heater nipples on the engine (which may include important sensors); it only blocks off the heater core.

This is the *last* generation of trucks to use floor vents.
But the actual vent duct & blockoff plate in the cowl remained ONLY on the passenger side through '96/7. The '87-96/7 EEC location caused the driver's vent to be deleted. Among other things, the ESOF module (on trucks so equipped) covers the passenger blockoff plate, making retrofitting the right vent to these later trucks difficult.

Further source for heater control valves, Chrysler used a similar valve (possibly from the same source) on their FWD cars with A/C.