Bullnose Forums

New Page: Interchange

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angelo - Thanks. I think I incorporated your thoughts into the page, but look and see, please.

However, I don't understand what window rain guards you mean. Are they Ford or aftermarket?

Bill - I got a little lost in the discussion about electric windows for the crew cabs. Could you try that again? I've been :nabble_anim_working: for hours and I think my brain is fried.

Gary, the crew cabs in 1986 could have power windows and locks on the front doors only. 1992 up the crew cabs could have 4 door power locks, starting in 1994 remote keyless entry was introduced, but without the external key pad. The trucks used the same RKE module as a Taurus and they have the provision for a key pad and had a code number sticker on the module.

Power windows, my AllData does not show 4 door power windows prior to 1995, but, like the PowerStroke, it could have been a mid year option. Since it requires a master switch in the driver's door it would not be an easy swap.

Doors, I have seen in a FB thread, that the later (1987 up) doors will fit the bullnose body, but bullnose doors will not fit the 1987 up body except the crew cabs and that is a maybe. The reason is the seat belt retractors, 1980-86 they are up at head level, 1987 up they are in the bottom of the cab right behind the doors.

Another point, on the bullnose crew cabs, all the seat belt mounting points for complete 6 passenger use are there, the rear outboard are plain lap belts only, but, the mounting points for rear outboard shoulder belts are there, because the rear cab wall of a crew cab is the same as the single cab. They are not threaded and the lower outboard holes have rubber plugs in them under the door sill plates. All it takes is a set of belts and the interior C pillar trim from a single cab, and you now have rear shoulder belts for a child seat or just for improved safety.

Gary, the crew cabs in 1986 could have power windows and locks on the front doors only. 1992 up the crew cabs could have 4 door power locks, starting in 1994 remote keyless entry was introduced, but without the external key pad. The trucks used the same RKE module as a Taurus and they have the provision for a key pad and had a code number sticker on the module.

Power windows, my AllData does not show 4 door power windows prior to 1995, but, like the PowerStroke, it could have been a mid year option. Since it requires a master switch in the driver's door it would not be an easy swap.

Doors, I have seen in a FB thread, that the later (1987 up) doors will fit the bullnose body, but bullnose doors will not fit the 1987 up body except the crew cabs and that is a maybe. The reason is the seat belt retractors, 1980-86 they are up at head level, 1987 up they are in the bottom of the cab right behind the doors.

Another point, on the bullnose crew cabs, all the seat belt mounting points for complete 6 passenger use are there, the rear outboard are plain lap belts only, but, the mounting points for rear outboard shoulder belts are there, because the rear cab wall of a crew cab is the same as the single cab. They are not threaded and the lower outboard holes have rubber plugs in them under the door sill plates. All it takes is a set of belts and the interior C pillar trim from a single cab, and you now have rear shoulder belts for a child seat or just for improved safety.

Angelo - Check out Page 14 of our new, as of last night, 1982 Accessories Catalog. And not the "base part number" of 18246. Sure enough, they are in the catalog.

So, a refinement of the rules: If it is in the catalog it can be listed. Does that work for y'all?

Bill - I'm gonna have to think about how to incorporate the seatbelt info for the rear of a crew cab. But, it does fit in the definition. Thanks.

Must be a lot of dealers had them. I cant tell you how many hundreds of trucks I've seen with them.
Not really - you're seeing the DIY ones. How many of those trucks' vent shades show a licensed "FORD" logo, or a Ford PN?
I could have sworn I say them in a pamphlet at one time or another.
You might have. But that doesn't mean the ones you see on the road were bought from a pamphlet like that. Most of them come from parts stores, Amazon, eBay, etc. That's where I get them when I can't find them in the JYs.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1059307/thumbnail/ventshades.jpg

Since it requires a master switch in the driver's door it would not be an easy swap.
It's harder than that - the driver's door panel is molded differently to accomodate the MUCH-larger 5-switch panel. So the door panel & wiring have to be changed, and those parts are NOT available new anywhere.
They are not threaded and the lower outboard holes have rubber plugs in them under the door sill plates.
That's how all body fasteners are done from the factory. The unused ones are plugged, but none of them are pre-threaded. The fastener threads the body nut the first time it's installed.
...the interior C pillar trim from a single cab...
A single cab doesn't have a C-pillar; only A & B pillars.

Must be a lot of dealers had them. I cant tell you how many hundreds of trucks I've seen with them.
Not really - you're seeing the DIY ones. How many of those trucks' vent shades show a licensed "FORD" logo, or a Ford PN?
I could have sworn I say them in a pamphlet at one time or another.
You might have. But that doesn't mean the ones you see on the road were bought from a pamphlet like that. Most of them come from parts stores, Amazon, eBay, etc. That's where I get them when I can't find them in the JYs.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1059307/thumbnail/ventshades.jpg

Since it requires a master switch in the driver's door it would not be an easy swap.
It's harder than that - the driver's door panel is molded differently to accomodate the MUCH-larger 5-switch panel. So the door panel & wiring have to be changed, and those parts are NOT available new anywhere.
They are not threaded and the lower outboard holes have rubber plugs in them under the door sill plates.
That's how all body fasteners are done from the factory. The unused ones are plugged, but none of them are pre-threaded. The fastener threads the body nut the first time it's installed.
...the interior C pillar trim from a single cab...
A single cab doesn't have a C-pillar; only A & B pillars.

Steve, the junkyards here in NY almost every truck has them installed. The last time I was at my local yard, of the 9 trucks

counted there, 7 of them had them installed.

Steve, the junkyards here in NY almost every truck has them installed. The last time I was at my local yard, of the 9 trucks

counted there, 7 of them had them installed.

I don't doubt you in the slightest. They're very common here, too. But when these trucks were new, and I browsed the occasional dealer's lot, or looked around on the roads, there were NONE to be seen.

BTW

If they're that common up there - especially on '80-96 Fs/Broncos - you should collect them. That model of VentShade is out-of-production, so their value is going up...

I don't doubt you in the slightest. They're very common here, too. But when these trucks were new, and I browsed the occasional dealer's lot, or looked around on the roads, there were NONE to be seen.

BTW

If they're that common up there - especially on '80-96 Fs/Broncos - you should collect them. That model of VentShade is out-of-production, so their value is going up...

I could use a set of vent shades.

BTW

@Steve

That's good to know. I was unaware they were out of production. I'll start snagging as many pairs as I can get ahold of.

@Steve

That's good to know. I was unaware they were out of production. I'll start snagging as many pairs as I can get ahold of.

They're selling for ~$44/pr on eBay now, so keep that in mind before you invest your money in used ones.

...and they're available on Amazon again, so AVS might have made another production run of them.