Bullnose Forums

New Page: Interchange

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary a couple changes for you.

On the beds, bullnose beds are squared off at the tail lights. 87+ are rounded.

Also, your wrote straps on the tailgates twice, vs rod for 80-82.

1995-97 doors have an extra body line at the bottom.

1990 swing lock mirrors are positioned higher up. The arm is flipped up and not under on the top mounting bracket.

Early 85s still had cardboard glove boxes.

92-96 instrument clusters are year specific due to changes in the circuit board they will not charge the battery if you do not have the correct year. 92-93 only will work in a 92-93, 94-95 and 96-97. For example even though visually similar a 97 cluster will not work in a 92. A 94 will only work in a 94 or 95. A 93 cluster will not work in a 95. Make sense?

Rear ABS/VSS interchanges from 87-97.

If I find anything else I'll edit this post.

1990 swing lock mirrors are positioned higher up. The arm is flipped up and not under on the top mounting bracket.

92-96 instrument clusters are year specific due to changes in the circuit board they will not charge the battery if you do not have the correct year. 92-93 only will work in a 92-93, 94-95 and 96-97. For example even though visually similar a 97 cluster will not work in a 92. A 94 will only work in a 94 or 95. A 93 cluster will not work in a 95. Make sense?

Angelo, on the 1992-97 clusters, yes they are specific groups, but the wires can be moved on the connectors, there is a difference in the wiring between tachometer and no tachometer.

I have the pinouts for them if anyone needs them.

1994 up have an air bag light, although 1994-97 HD (over 8500 GVW) did not get the air bag in the steering wheel.

1996/7 do not have a glove box lock, 1992-95 do.

Heater core for factory A/C is the same service part from 1980-1997, the originals were copper/brass, everything is pretty well aluminum now.

Angelo, on the 1992-97 clusters, yes they are specific groups, but the wires can be moved on the connectors, there is a difference in the wiring between tachometer and no tachometer.

I have the pinouts for them if anyone needs them.

1994 up have an air bag light, although 1994-97 HD (over 8500 GVW) did not get the air bag in the steering wheel.

1996/7 do not have a glove box lock, 1992-95 do.

Heater core for factory A/C is the same service part from 1980-1997, the originals were copper/brass, everything is pretty well aluminum now.

This seems somewhat off-topic to me since it has nothing to do with bullnoses, but...

...on the 1992-97 clusters...there is a difference in the wiring between tachometer and no tachometer.
Not on any truck I've worked on, or the trucks whose owners have bought tach clusters from me (which is a few dozen). Ford calls the dash harness the "main" section, so they made as few versions as possible each year. Most years, just 2: high trim & low trim, but tach was optional (deletable) in most trims, so the main harness had to support both. And there's no reason for it NOT to - omitting the tach circuits didn't cause them to need MORE wires, so no need to rearrange them.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/774679/thumbnail/clusterparts.jpg

And I haven't found anything specific to make '96-97 clusters INcompatible with '94-95 trucks, or vice versa. But I have a '93 hi-trim harness & a '96 lying out in my shop right now, so I'll try to remember to compare their cluster connectors. Wiring diagrams are available free here:

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Just click "WIRING DIAGRAMS" when you see that big red button.

This seems somewhat off-topic to me since it has nothing to do with bullnoses, but...

...on the 1992-97 clusters...there is a difference in the wiring between tachometer and no tachometer.
Not on any truck I've worked on, or the trucks whose owners have bought tach clusters from me (which is a few dozen). Ford calls the dash harness the "main" section, so they made as few versions as possible each year. Most years, just 2: high trim & low trim, but tach was optional (deletable) in most trims, so the main harness had to support both. And there's no reason for it NOT to - omitting the tach circuits didn't cause them to need MORE wires, so no need to rearrange them.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/774679/thumbnail/clusterparts.jpg

And I haven't found anything specific to make '96-97 clusters INcompatible with '94-95 trucks, or vice versa. But I have a '93 hi-trim harness & a '96 lying out in my shop right now, so I'll try to remember to compare their cluster connectors. Wiring diagrams are available free here:

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Just click "WIRING DIAGRAMS" when you see that big red button.

Steve, I have done up a list of the pin outs for the dash clusters 1992-1997 and will be happy to send it to you. I found out the hard way Ford changed things a few times on the connections, things like swapping the power and ground, anti theft for two years, adding a brake fluid warning etc.

Angelo - Thanks. I made the changes on the write-ups for the beds, straps, and doors.

Gentlemen - Once you figure out all the nuances about the later instrument clusters you are going to need a good place to record it. But the scope of the documentation here is Bullnose, and the scope of the Interchange page is what will swap onto a Bullnose. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Angelo - Thanks. I made the changes on the write-ups for the beds, straps, and doors.

Gentlemen - Once you figure out all the nuances about the later instrument clusters you are going to need a good place to record it. But the scope of the documentation here is Bullnose, and the scope of the Interchange page is what will swap onto a Bullnose. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Gary one more thing.

87-91 cowls are direct fit and match bullnose hood lines and also use the same wiper spray nozzle. They can be used as an alternative to the 80-86 cowls if you prefer the pin holes over slots for debris/visual reasons. 92-96 cowls physically fit but the body lines do not match and are completely different. They also introduce dual spray nozzles.

I do beleive the rod and latch style interior door handle parts interchange with the cable style of later trucks. Plastic door handles of the later trucks are a direct fit into ours, but we have the superior metal handles.

I also dont know if anyone had mentioned this yet but the window rain guards or vent shades all fit from 80-97.

Gary one more thing.

87-91 cowls are direct fit and match bullnose hood lines and also use the same wiper spray nozzle. They can be used as an alternative to the 80-86 cowls if you prefer the pin holes over slots for debris/visual reasons. 92-96 cowls physically fit but the body lines do not match and are completely different. They also introduce dual spray nozzles.

I do beleive the rod and latch style interior door handle parts interchange with the cable style of later trucks. Plastic door handles of the later trucks are a direct fit into ours, but we have the superior metal handles.

I also dont know if anyone had mentioned this yet but the window rain guards or vent shades all fit from 80-97.

You are correct that the rod and latch system will swap as an assembly into the later doors and as mentioned the bullnose used the metal handles. We just did exactly that on my friends 1995 F350 so he won't have the stretchable cables any more. The crew cab rear doors kept the rod release system, but the doors changed style in 1987 and again in 1992.

If you want power windows all around, I believe 1994 was the first year. I was trying to add them to my existing rear doors with no luck, the crew cab also got 4 door power locks then.

You are correct that the rod and latch system will swap as an assembly into the later doors and as mentioned the bullnose used the metal handles. We just did exactly that on my friends 1995 F350 so he won't have the stretchable cables any more. The crew cab rear doors kept the rod release system, but the doors changed style in 1987 and again in 1992.

If you want power windows all around, I believe 1994 was the first year. I was trying to add them to my existing rear doors with no luck, the crew cab also got 4 door power locks then.

Angelo - Thanks. I think I incorporated your thoughts into the page, but look and see, please.

However, I don't understand what window rain guards you mean. Are they Ford or aftermarket?

Bill - I got a little lost in the discussion about electric windows for the crew cabs. Could you try that again? I've been :nabble_anim_working: for hours and I think my brain is fried.

Angelo - Thanks. I think I incorporated your thoughts into the page, but look and see, please.

However, I don't understand what window rain guards you mean. Are they Ford or aftermarket?

Bill - I got a little lost in the discussion about electric windows for the crew cabs. Could you try that again? I've been :nabble_anim_working: for hours and I think my brain is fried.

I'm talking about the stainless ones from Ford.