Bullnose Forums

New Page: Interchange

Another use for the interchange info - upgrade our how-to's.

This morning I was looking at the 3G Alternator Conversion page with an eye to upgrading the instructions on the ammeter since Steve suggested that there's a way to change the wiring and not have to replace or disconnect the ammeter. (However, then the ammeter will only read on the discharge side, but that may be acceptable to some people.)

And I saw the donor vehicle list and wondered if the new Alternator Interchange page might help us refine the donor list a bit. The page says "90-99 Taurus/Sable (the 3.8L has 8.125” mounting. 3.0L has the 7” mount spacing) *Need to confirm this info." But it doesn't say if they have the 90A or the 130A alternator.

So I went to the interchange pages and found that there are some 130 amp alternators on some of the vehicles we listed. And I searched the pages for both cars and trucks for that part number and found these hits:

TAURUS 90-94 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130AMP. F1DZ10346BX (Note that this doesn't say "Sable")

LINCOLNCONTINENTAL 91-94 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130AMP. F1DZ10346BX

SABLE 91-92 6CYL 3.0L MOTORCRAFT,130AMP F1DZ10346BX

SABLE 91-95 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130AMP. F1DZ10346BX

TAURUS 91-92 6CYL 3.0L MOTORCRAFT.130 AMP, EXC.SHO F1DZ10346BX

E-SERIES 92-93 ALL CYLS..MOTORCRAFT, 130AMP-EXC. F1DZ10346BX

BRONCO 92-92 ALL CYLS..MOTORCRAFT, 130AMP-EXC. F1DZ10346BX

F-SERIES 94-96 6CYL 4.9L MOTORCRAFT,130AMP F1DZ10346BX

E-SERIES 94-96 6CYL 4.9L& 8CYL 7.5L MOTORCRAFT,130 F1DZ10346BX

WINDSTAR 95-95 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130 AMP.BEFORE 3/1/94 F1DZ10346BX

This will take some refinement, but I think we have a new way to "tune" our instructions on things. And, I may even be able to cross-ref the part number to an ID/engineering # that will tell us what the alternator actually says it is.

I've NEVER seen a Bronco with a factory 130A 3G - certainly not a '92. I don't even think they got the 95A 3G until '93. But I've found several '93 Fs with 2G, and I always assumed Bronco engines/alts. were the same as Fs'.

...(1982 F-100) originally came with a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine.
No such thing as a 4-banger in an F. The base engine was always the I6, except a few rare catastrophes in '82~4 that got a V6.

I just found something in the '81 shop manual I've never seen before... It indicates there was a gasoline 255ci (4.2L) V8 available in '81 Broncos & Fs; VIN code "D".

The only "E" I can imagine being on the frame stamp is for the Mahwah,NJ/Jefferson,KY assembly plants, but F150s were never built at either. I suspect he misread a "B".

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went to the interchange pages and found that there are some 130 amp alternators on some of the vehicles we listed. And I searched the pages for both cars and trucks for that part number and found these hits:

TAURUS 90-94 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130AMP. F1DZ10346BX (Note that this doesn't say "Sable")

LINCOLNCONTINENTAL 91-94 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130AMP. F1DZ10346BX

SABLE 91-92 6CYL 3.0L MOTORCRAFT,130AMP F1DZ10346BX

SABLE 91-95 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130AMP. F1DZ10346BX

TAURUS 91-92 6CYL 3.0L MOTORCRAFT.130 AMP, EXC.SHO F1DZ10346BX

E-SERIES 92-93 ALL CYLS..MOTORCRAFT, 130AMP-EXC. F1DZ10346BX

BRONCO 92-92 ALL CYLS..MOTORCRAFT, 130AMP-EXC. F1DZ10346BX

F-SERIES 94-96 6CYL 4.9L MOTORCRAFT,130AMP F1DZ10346BX

E-SERIES 94-96 6CYL 4.9L& 8CYL 7.5L MOTORCRAFT,130 F1DZ10346BX

WINDSTAR 95-95 6CYL 3.8L MOTORCRAFT130 AMP.BEFORE 3/1/94 F1DZ10346BX

This will take some refinement, but I think we have a new way to "tune" our instructions on things. And, I may even be able to cross-ref the part number to an ID/engineering # that will tell us what the alternator actually says it is.

I went and tested the Search on E1ZZ10346AX and it responded pretty well, results were quick. And I was remarking at how many decades' worth of applications that part number fit which one can see by scrolling through the document.

Of your list, Gary, what I thought was remarkable (funny, actually) are the words "EXC SHO" on there, I see that toooooo often when trying to look up parts for those cars.

I've NEVER seen a Bronco with a factory 130A 3G - certainly not a '92. I don't even think they got the 95A 3G until '93. But I've found several '93 Fs with 2G, and I always assumed Bronco engines/alts. were the same as Fs'.

...(1982 F-100) originally came with a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine.
No such thing as a 4-banger in an F. The base engine was always the I6, except a few rare catastrophes in '82~4 that got a V6.

I just found something in the '81 shop manual I've never seen before... It indicates there was a gasoline 255ci (4.2L) V8 available in '81 Broncos & Fs; VIN code "D".

The only "E" I can imagine being on the frame stamp is for the Mahwah,NJ/Jefferson,KY assembly plants, but F150s were never built at either. I suspect he misread a "B".

Steve - To paraphrase a famous Okie, all I know is what I read in the catalog. So I'm sure we will run into instances where the catalog doesn't match with what we find in the real world. And for those instances we need to have a contingency plan.

On approach would be to say something like "This is what the catalog says, but we've not seen one of these in this vehicle". And pictures as well as part and ID #'s would help as well. But I think we can use this info to help people find what they are looking for.

And, on the 255 engine, you can also read about it here: Engines/Windsor Series.

Chris - I thought of you when I saw that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Steve - To paraphrase a famous Okie, all I know is what I read in the catalog. So I'm sure we will run into instances where the catalog doesn't match with what we find in the real world. And for those instances we need to have a contingency plan.

On approach would be to say something like "This is what the catalog says, but we've not seen one of these in this vehicle". And pictures as well as part and ID #'s would help as well. But I think we can use this info to help people find what they are looking for.

And, on the 255 engine, you can also read about it here: Engines/Windsor Series.

Chris - I thought of you when I saw that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Apparently, dentside speedos fit our gauge clusters.

FB_IMG_1549224140052.thumb.jpg.77a394b80098f9daa2a50ead95d72cfc.jpg

That is where I saw it. None given that I've seen but I'd imagine probably fairly easy if not direct replacement.

Although I could have sworn early 80s medium duties used dent gauges factory at least for a few years.

Sorry for the double post, but ironically this just showed up on FB as well, just hours later. Though looks incomplete.

FB_IMG_1549225445060.thumb.jpg.2d6d0bd5d35d627efb82683ccdd1e3ed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post, but ironically this just showed up on FB as well, just hours later. Though looks incomplete.

I did a swap from an 81 into my 83 because the printed circuit was different, 81 has the tach,the 83 speedo is a direct fit, as with all the gauges. Reason for speedo change, the 81 is a reset and didn't have the lens, still have to see person I purchased truck from for some literature, also some other "stuff" he said he had.

Bill

I did a swap from an 81 into my 83 because the printed circuit was different, 81 has the tach,the 83 speedo is a direct fit, as with all the gauges. Reason for speedo change, the 81 is a reset and didn't have the lens, still have to see person I purchased truck from for some literature, also some other "stuff" he said he had.

Bill

Bill - Except for early 81’s, which had slightly different wiring, the instrument clusters interchange for all Bullnose years - like for like. But, that means that idiot light clusters interchange with each other, and gauge clusters interchange with each other.

Within the instrument clusters there were two kinds - with tach and w/o tach. Those with a tach also had a resettable trip odometer, and those w/o a tach didn’t.

To make things slightly more complicated, there are two different printed circuit films used on the gauge clusters. One film has the wiring for the tach, and one doesn’t. And while all clusters with a tach had a circuit film that supports a tach, many of the non-tach clusters do as well.

So you can mix and match, meaning have a tach with or without a trip odometer, or a trip odometer with or without a tach. 😳

• 2 weeks later...

Short day. Added the A/C compressors, with and without clutch to the A/C Interchange page.

Then Chris' Diesel Injector page.

And the Window Lift Motor page.

Last, the Water Pump page.

And, while those 76 pages might seem like a light day, please give me credit for an overhaul on the Wheel Covers page, as 'splained on the Center Caps thread. :nabble_anim_working:

Striker Bolts: 80-96/7 door strike bolts interchange, but the later (possibly '89-96/7) bolt's shield reduces the door's tendency to jam in a collision.

My 1986 had the black shields, so they came much earlier than 89.

Beds: However, the # of bolts went from 8 in 1980-84 to 6 for 1985 and on, as shown on the Suspension & Steering/Body Mounts & Hardware page, which includes a description of the bolts as well as part numbers. But, 1987 and later beds do fit on 1985 and '86 trucks w/o change since they share the 6-bolt pattern.

My 1986 frame (stamped with E7TA, so it's a late frame) still has the holes for the extra bolts from 1980-1984. And the bed floor not only has the indentation, but there is still a crossmember in that spot with the hole drilled in it as well. The only thing missing is the hole in the bed floor, and whatever "key" is supposed to match the bolt to keep it from spinning. So a 1980-1984 bed should fit on an 85-86 and still be able to use all eight mounting bolts.