Bullnose Forums

New Page: Interchange

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it refers to the front and rear shoe individually and not as a set for the front vs the rear. That's the only way it makes sense because from 1973 on they all had disc brakes on the front.

Yes, I think you are correct. I just found a table in the 1948-56 truck MPC that shows brake drum sizes. As you can see, the front drum sizes seem to fit nicely with the measurements shown on the document I have on the Front Brakes/Pads & Shoes tab:

Brake_Drum_SIze_Header_-_1948_to_56.thumb.jpg.1c2077f7dab358d09c8573d3b8a375b0.jpgBrake_Drum_SIzes_-_1948_to_56.thumb.jpg.bc3a3f1d8253e4bde27dd67a43aac37b.jpg

Yes, I think you are correct. I just found a table in the 1948-56 truck MPC that shows brake drum sizes. As you can see, the front drum sizes seem to fit nicely with the measurements shown on the document I have on the Front Brakes/Pads & Shoes tab:

I recently took a test to determine how I think (or if I do?), and I learned that I like to learn. And, I've been learning lots lately. For instance, I found that my PDF program (Foxit PhantomPDF) can run my scanner. In fact, it can even run the document feeder! On top of that, it can deskew and OCR as it reads pages in. :nabble_anim_jump:

So, as I type this it is finishing up scanning in the last of the "starter" pages, and in the last two days I've scanned in more than 300 pages - while doing other things. And, with that I've gotten quite a start on all those "interchange" pages in the catalog. Here's where we will be at the end of the day:

• Brakes: Done! There are 11 documents containing 259 pages covering front & rear brakes (rotors, drums, shoes, calipers), master cylinders, and boosters. And they span the years from 1951 to 1998.

• Steering: Done! This has a document on power steering pumps and one on steering gear boxes, with a total of 70 pages.

• Air Conditioning: This one isn't done, but it has the info on the compressor clutch in a 12-page document. Still to come is a document on compressors and one on compressors with the clutch.

But, I've not scanned several sections as I don't think they'll be of much help. However, I'd like your input on that regarding these sections: Engines, cylinder heads, rocker arms, crankshafts, water pumps, oil pumps, transmissions, turbochargers, carburetors, alternators, diesel injection pumps, and distributors. I really don't see that they will be helpful as they really don't tell much. For instance, the dizzy doc for 1980 says that an F100 w/a 302 must get its dizzy from another 1980 F100 w/a 302. Similarly the carb section shows really small ranges for a source for the carb - because they have to meet emissions.

So I think we can give those a miss and move on to the A/C compressors and window lift motors and call this good. But, I do want your thoughts.

I recently took a test to determine how I think (or if I do?), and I learned that I like to learn. And, I've been learning lots lately. For instance, I found that my PDF program (Foxit PhantomPDF) can run my scanner. In fact, it can even run the document feeder! On top of that, it can deskew and OCR as it reads pages in. :nabble_anim_jump:

Uuuuhhhh...what?! :nabble_anim_confused:

So, as I type this it is finishing up scanning in the last of the "starter" pages, and in the last two days I've scanned in more than 300 pages - while doing other things. And, with that I've gotten quite a start on all those "interchange" pages in the catalog. Here's where we will be at the end of the day:

• Brakes: Done! There are 11 documents containing 259 pages covering front & rear brakes (rotors, drums, shoes, calipers), master cylinders, and boosters. And they span the years from 1951 to 1998.

• Steering: Done! This has a document on power steering pumps and one on steering gear boxes, with a total of 70 pages.

• Air Conditioning: This one isn't done, but it has the info on the compressor clutch in a 12-page document. Still to come is a document on compressors and one on compressors with the clutch.

But, I've not scanned several sections as I don't think they'll be of much help. However, I'd like your input on that regarding these sections: Engines, cylinder heads, rocker arms, crankshafts, water pumps, oil pumps, transmissions, turbochargers, carburetors, alternators, diesel injection pumps, and distributors. I really don't see that they will be helpful as they really don't tell much. For instance, the dizzy doc for 1980 says that an F100 w/a 302 must get its dizzy from another 1980 F100 w/a 302. Similarly the carb section shows really small ranges for a source for the carb - because they have to meet emissions.

So I think we can give those a miss and move on to the A/C compressors and window lift motors and call this good. But, I do want your thoughts.

What does it say about the diesel injection pumps? I'm just curious.

Regardless, you've got a lot of information up here, don 't feel too obligated to go publishing all of Bill's library.

I guess it's kinda amazing how computers and associated software can automate mundane tasks, huh? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I could read lots into that. Like, maybe I don't think. Or, what is a Foxit? More likely, what is "deskew" and "OCR"?

So, I'll assume the latter and 'splain. I have a piece of software, Foxit, that I use to manage all of the documents we enjoy. A couple of days ago I discovered that it will operate my scanner, which has a document feeder. So I can load a document of up to probably 50 sheets of paper, hit GO, and go away while it works.

When it scans the pages in they are actually pictures of words, not words. So I told it to "optically character recognize" (OCR) the pages, which creates words from the pictures of words. That means you can actually search the document.

Also, "deskew" means it will straighten the page after it is scanned in. And that's been a huge problem for me for years as the results I've gotten by hand-loading pages on the scanner's glass haven't been good. Does it work? ABSOLUTELY! I've even loaded the pages backwards and it rotates them and straightens them. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

What does it say about the diesel injection pumps? I'm just curious.

Regardless, you've got a lot of information up here, don 't feel too obligated to go publishing all of Bill's library.

I guess it's kinda amazing how computers and associated software can automate mundane tasks, huh? :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'll see what the injection pump info says. Shucks, as easy as it is I may just scan it in. But, I won't scan all of what Bill left me. No way, Jose! There are 3 cross-reference books that let me cross an ID/engineering number to a part number, or vice versa. And they have thousands of pages.

Yes, things are getting easier. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I could read lots into that. Like, maybe I don't think. Or, what is a Foxit? More likely, what is "deskew" and "OCR"?

So, I'll assume the latter and 'splain. I have a piece of software, Foxit, that I use to manage all of the documents we enjoy. A couple of days ago I discovered that it will operate my scanner, which has a document feeder. So I can load a document of up to probably 50 sheets of paper, hit GO, and go away while it works.

When it scans the pages in they are actually pictures of words, not words. So I told it to "optically character recognize" (OCR) the pages, which creates words from the pictures of words. That means you can actually search the document.

Also, "deskew" means it will straighten the page after it is scanned in. And that's been a huge problem for me for years as the results I've gotten by hand-loading pages on the scanner's glass haven't been good. Does it work? ABSOLUTELY! I've even loaded the pages backwards and it rotates them and straightens them. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Nope, you definitely think. You're talking a language I don't understand is all.

Very cool stuff you're doing. I appreciate and applaud your efforts!

But, I do want your thoughts.
You're the only one there looking at it - if YOU don't think it's worth the effort, go with that. :nabble_smiley_good: If (after you've knocked out all the things HIGHER on your list of priorities) you feel some need to add them, that's fine, too. But don't put a bunch of time/effort into sections that aren't beneficial.

But, I do want your thoughts.
You're the only one there looking at it - if YOU don't think it's worth the effort, go with that. :nabble_smiley_good: If (after you've knocked out all the things HIGHER on your list of priorities) you feel some need to add them, that's fine, too. But don't put a bunch of time/effort into sections that aren't beneficial.

Ok, in the light of day I've discovered a few glitches. Somehow Weebly gave the new pages for starters and brakes the same URL/address as previous pages. And, I'd mis-typed the link to starters and it was point to air conditioning. So I've renamed the pages and fixed the links - I hope.

Grumpin - Thanks.

Steve - Good advice. We shall see what gets scanned today.