Bullnose Forums

Help 460 vacuum lines

Dgordon013

I don't know if there is a meaning for the colours on the diagram. But, it is possible that the original hoses had a colour tracer on them, so you might look for that.

HOWEVER, the diagram above is not for your truck. It is for Bill/85LebaronT2's truck, which is an '86. So it doesn't really apply. I was just using it for an example.

So, to answer your question, Bill said the blue thing, the choke pulloff, goes to manifold vacuum. So you can hook it up to a hose, or run a new hose, to a fitting that screws directly into the intake manifold. For instance, there may be a fitting in front of the carb that is screwed into the manifold and has several taps on it. You can use any of those.

And if this doesn't make sense post up a bunch of pictures showing the engine and where each hose goes. Maybe we can find the right one.

Great

Thx will try that out and run a line from the man vac tap to that

It’s just my van has the same coloured hoses so there might be some logic to it

Let’s see .... thanks again from cold England

Great

Thx will try that out and run a line from the man vac tap to that

It’s just my van has the same coloured hoses so there might be some logic to it

Let’s see .... thanks again from cold England

Hi all

So I figured most of it out in terms of what Jose goes where

No it starts and runs ok as long as I manually keep both choke plates open when starting

I think it is time for a new carb

What type of edelbrock would I need for the engine ?

Also, if I want to take most vacuum hoses off, can you remind me which ones I must keep ?

Thanks so much

Daniel

Hi all

So I figured most of it out in terms of what Jose goes where

No it starts and runs ok as long as I manually keep both choke plates open when starting

I think it is time for a new carb

What type of edelbrock would I need for the engine ?

Also, if I want to take most vacuum hoses off, can you remind me which ones I must keep ?

Thanks so much

Daniel

This page explains what vacuum hoses an '80 - 86 truck needs: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vacuum-systems.html. But yours isn't a Bullnose, so may not need the vacuum hose to the heating and A/C systems.

But, that page doesn't include the vacuum choke pull-off that your choke needs. So if you keep that carb you'll need vacuum to that.

So, let's talk carbs. In my opinion, which many on here don't share, the most simple and reliable carb is an Edelbrock, which is what you asked about. So here goes.

To fully feed a 460 at full-chat you'll need a 750 CFM carb. But from what I've read the 4350 is a 600 CFM carb, so if you are just wanting to match that an Edelbrock 600 CFM carb would work. But, they also have a 650 and a 750 CFM carb. However, those carbs are across three different carb lines:

• Performer: This is essentially the original Carter AFB, which was a very good carb. I'm running the 750 CFM version on my 460.

• Thunder: This is based on the younger brother to the AFB, the Air Valve Secondary (AVS). The major difference between the AFB and the AVS is the adjustable secondary opening point. Adjusting the AFM is very difficult as it requires disassembling the carb and adding to or taking weight away from the secondary air valve's lever arm. But the Thunder/AVS has an extremely easy-to-use adjustment on the secondary opening point.

• AVS2: This is a new carb and I'm not au fait with it. But, from reading about it I think it is the Thunder/AVS with annular discharge venturiis. This should be helpful on economy, but then I'm not sure "economy" and "460" should populate the same sentence.

Having said all that, from what I read your 4350 is a "spreadbore" carb , and that is going to be a minor problem. You might want to read this: http://www.drbob.tqhosting.com/tech/carb/4350_compared.html as you are going to need an adapter to bolt another carb on that manifold.