Bullnose Forums

Starter Solenoid / Relay

Dyn Blin

Well, the one you have highlighted (fuse link "D") on the BK/O wire looks like it supplies power to the headlights?

I was looking at the other BK/O wire in the diagram below...fuse link "E", between the ALT and the hot side of the starter relay. I'm not sure how it would stop it from starting, but it also connects to the Voltage reg...so if that circuit was broken, maybe that stopped it from starting?...I dunno...

I believe that goes on to the fuse panel.

On these trucks, the power from the battery goes through the alternator harness then inside the cab. I swore the first time I was sorting things on a bullnose that I wanted whatever those EEs were smoking when they designed the system. In the words of Cheech and Chong, "must have been some dynomite sheet mon."

My wife wondered what I was laughing at!

20181231_144357.jpg
The LB wire from the starter relay to the yellow butt crimp is probably 18ga fusible link wire.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/830776/thumbnail/fusiblelinkrepair.jpg

It looks like it was just a REALLY-BAD crimp.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/862995/thumbnail/crimp.jpg

But the best fix for it is the 3G swap with the later-style harness:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/876977/thumbnail/3gharness.jpg

...and for the record: regardless what parts stores call it, it's absolutely a RELAY, as Gary's diagram indicates. :nabble_smiley_good:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/883860/thumbnail/starterwiringold.jpg

It wasn't until '92 that Ford began using starters with solenoids, but the solenoid is always ON the starter:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/285644/thumbnail/starterexploded.jpg

On these trucks, the power from the battery goes through the alternator harness then inside the cab. I swore the first time I was sorting things on a bullnose that I wanted whatever those EEs were smoking when they designed the system. In the words of Cheech and Chong, "must have been some dynomite sheet mon."

Bill- you're not wrong. I tried to follow it down with the flashlight after I got home and didn't get past the alternator. I'll head out with the EVTM in the morning when the sun is up and follow it back further.

Steve- 'good advice to swap out to a new harness with an updated alternator. There's not much wire left on that B/O stub to pass the current. I'm surprised it held up on the trip home. There's only about half the strands left and it looked in pretty poor shape when I got them into the positap connector. The link you posted from your documentation was informative, the fusible link detail was new to me- thanks.

Some little guardian angel reminded me last week to throw the neat Klein crimper/pliers I received for Christmas into the ammo box I keep the truck tools in, and *one* positap connector was in there large enough to fit the wire coming off the relay, but not too large to catch what was left of that broken wire to the alternator harness. I'm thinking some lengths of various gauge wire in the box is a good idea, too.

Thanks again to everyone that jumped in to assist. The members here are an amazing set of resources.

Some little guardian angel reminded me last week to throw the neat Klein crimper/pliers I received for Christmas into the ammo box I keep the truck tools in, and *one* positap connector was in there large enough to fit the wire coming off the relay, but not too large to catch what was left of that broken wire to the alternator harness. I'm thinking some lengths of various gauge wire in the box is a good idea, too.

And this thread reminded me to print a copy of my EVTM and throw it behind the seat as well;).

Bill- you're not wrong. I tried to follow it down with the flashlight after I got home and didn't get past the alternator. I'll head out with the EVTM in the morning when the sun is up and follow it back further.

Steve- 'good advice to swap out to a new harness with an updated alternator. There's not much wire left on that B/O stub to pass the current. I'm surprised it held up on the trip home. There's only about half the strands left and it looked in pretty poor shape when I got them into the positap connector. The link you posted from your documentation was informative, the fusible link detail was new to me- thanks.

Thanks again to everyone that jumped in to assist. The members here are an amazing set of resources.

Mark/Dyn - Sure glad you made it home safely. Your guardian angel was working overtime. :nabble_anim_claps:

You are right, the folks on here are amazing! Lots of help. And as for my texts, you are welcome. Just wanted to make sure you were getting help in the heat of battle. (I won't text back right now as it is 5:30 AM there.)