Bullnose Forums

Newly acquired 86 XLT Lariat F150

T Doorly

IMG_0983.jpg.9a04957723c5a6d667ae4b9502057785.jpgI just bought a really nice 86 F150 XLT Lariat truck . It has a few small bugs to work out like, gas gauge on empty , turn signals not working, and a higher than normal idle. The first two of which were working when I bought the truck. Another odd thing I noticed about it is that it has gold like plated emblems. Around the Ford oval on the grill, the F150 side emblems, and the FORD letters on the red reflector on tailgate trim. Was this a special editionfrom dealers. Another odd thing is that it is two tone lite blue with white roof and mid belt. I looked in the 86 Brochure and the lite blue is not listed as a color. Any help

Everyone have a Merry Christmas.

T Doorly

Welcome! :nabble_anim_handshake:

How 'bout some pics?

On the fuel gauge, it is frequently the sending unit. But see the Troubleshooting tab here to determine that: Electrical/Gauges.

As for the turn signals, do neither work? Do they come on but don't flash? Or not come on?

Gold emblems were not offered by Ford, so it might have been done at the dealership or, more likely, a previous owner.

And a pic will help a lot on the paint scheme.

Custom emblems are easier to make now than they were in the 80s, but they WERE available.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72726/thumbnail/xlt-gold-badge.jpg

There were (& are) also large customizers who ordered emblems from the same suppliers as the vehicles they modified: ChooChoo Customs, Centurion, Magnum, Ikon...

Original emblems can also be modified in a variety of ways, including gold-tone/anodizing/dipping/painting.

Welcome! :nabble_anim_handshake:

How 'bout some pics?

On the fuel gauge, it is frequently the sending unit. But see the Troubleshooting tab here to determine that: Electrical/Gauges.

As for the turn signals, do neither work? Do they come on but don't flash? Or not come on?

Gold emblems were not offered by Ford, so it might have been done at the dealership or, more likely, a previous owner.

And a pic will help a lot on the paint scheme.

Gas guage was working after I filled it up it went to empty. The turn signals did work. both sides don't flash now but the 4 ways do work. was this color combo available in 86?