Bullnose Forums

New Guy - my Flareside story and looking to find a truck!

66gtk

Welcome to the group! I will keep my eyes out for potential candidates. You have already found Mr. Freewheelin’ so that’s good. His Facebook group is small but good quality if you do that at all. Any preference regarding engine, transmission, AC or not?

Thank you all for your responses. As for other preferences - yes. Just to make my life more difficult I would strongly prefer an automatic (so I can more comfortably have 2 passengers), AC, and the engine really could be any. I'll probably eventually build up a nice 300 HP SBF for it anyway. I would also have to have an optioned out truck - XLT, Ranger. I like the upgraded interiors quite a bit and that's important.

Thank you all for your responses. As for other preferences - yes. Just to make my life more difficult I would strongly prefer an automatic (so I can more comfortably have 2 passengers), AC, and the engine really could be any. I'll probably eventually build up a nice 300 HP SBF for it anyway. I would also have to have an optioned out truck - XLT, Ranger. I like the upgraded interiors quite a bit and that's important.

How about this? :nabble_anim_handshake:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Ford-F-150-Reg-Cab-Stepside/163439540195?hash=item260dc177e3:g:3iYAAOSwEKxcGaNF:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Gary said this: "The best place to find rust-free trucks in good shape appears to be the Pacific North West."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Ford-F-150-Reg-Cab-Stepside/163439540195?hash=item260dc177e3:g:3iYAAOSwEKxcGaNF:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Gary said this: "The best place to find rust-free trucks in good shape appears to be the Pacific North West."

Nice!

Yes, that is a very nice truck! And here are some things I noticed:

• DSO = 71 from the certification label, which is LA. So that is, as I expected, a CA-spec truck

• It originally came with an EEC-III system, which is a computer-controlled carb and ignition. But, probably when it was taken to Washington, that system was removed. The carb was replaced with an Edelbrock 4bbl, which was a good choice. And the ignition was replaced with an HEI-based distributor. Plus, it has dual exhaust.

• It has the rare underhood tool box!

• It has the rare locking hood release

• It has the locking glove box, which isn't often seen

• It has the underhood light

• It has an odd combo of electric door locks but manual windows

• It was made in June of '81 at the San Jose plant, which had already converted from slide locks and clear turn signals by April, which explains why this one has pin locks and amber turn signals.

• It has a 3.25:1 rear axle ratio in the 9". That's a good ratio and should work well with the AOD. Coupled with the Hankook Optimo H724's in P235/75-15, which are 28.9" in diameter, and the AOD's OD ratio of .67, the calculator says the 302 will be turning 1646 RPM in OD at 65 MPH.

With the AOD and a nice 302 that thing should scoot as well as return decent MPG on the highway. I LIKE IT! :nabble_anim_jump:

Yes, that is a very nice truck! And here are some things I noticed:

• DSO = 71 from the certification label, which is LA. So that is, as I expected, a CA-spec truck

• It originally came with an EEC-III system, which is a computer-controlled carb and ignition. But, probably when it was taken to Washington, that system was removed. The carb was replaced with an Edelbrock 4bbl, which was a good choice. And the ignition was replaced with an HEI-based distributor. Plus, it has dual exhaust.

• It has the rare underhood tool box!

• It has the rare locking hood release

• It has the locking glove box, which isn't often seen

• It has the underhood light

• It has an odd combo of electric door locks but manual windows

• It was made in June of '81 at the San Jose plant, which had already converted from slide locks and clear turn signals by April, which explains why this one has pin locks and amber turn signals.

• It has a 3.25:1 rear axle ratio in the 9". That's a good ratio and should work well with the AOD. Coupled with the Hankook Optimo H724's in P235/75-15, which are 28.9" in diameter, and the AOD's OD ratio of .67, the calculator says the 302 will be turning 1646 RPM in OD at 65 MPH.

With the AOD and a nice 302 that thing should scoot as well as return decent MPG on the highway. I LIKE IT! :nabble_anim_jump:

Thanks for the breakdown Gary. That is a clean truck. Would work nicely as a start to my "Dad" build.

A few things that set off my radar a bit and don't make sense:

1. Lot's of spray bomb painting - the bed (nice overspray - didn't even try), chassis sections, all over under the hood.

2. Out of place rust exposed on hood hinges and upper radiator support area - the spray bombing is likely covering up other rusty areas.

3. The inconsistent wear and tear in the interior. Passenger door panel looks great, the driver side looks like somebody attempted to start to strip it?? Headliner very faded, passenger side kick panel looks way out of character with the rest?

4. The pin striping does not appear to be factory either. - The emblems are all removed.

5. How could the floor completely disintegrate?

6. I don't buy the low mileage claim.

7. Not completely rust free as stated. There is rust. I'm thinking it was stored away poorly? The seller told me it was in a barn.

I spoke to the seller and he didn't not have any first hand information on his own vehicle. Couldn't verify if the radio works, the AC, nothing....Says it's "fast". Really? These trucks aren't fast. To me it looks like an abandonded half-assed restoration attempt. The seller told me the engine needs tuning as the carb doesn't seem set up right. All of the take off emission parts, emblems, etc are nowhere to be found.

Yes, this truck offers a lot for around $5K, but there could be lots of issues that camera can't reveal. I'm thinking hard about it.

That's pretty common. I bought a 1980 in 1994, and it had already had the floor replaced a year or two before. It's not really like Ford prepped these things for longevity...I know around here, those trucks were rusting on the dealers lots before they were ever sold as new.

That's pretty common. I bought a 1980 in 1994, and it had already had the floor replaced a year or two before. It's not really like Ford prepped these things for longevity...I know around here, those trucks were rusting on the dealers lots before they were ever sold as new.

Nice Flareside in Dallas recently listed.

Looks like it has a ZF5 already installed.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1983-ford-stepside-4x4/6777011858.html